Author Topic: Door to Door  (Read 5554 times)

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
Door to Door
« on: February 06, 2007, 09:26:32 AM »
I'd like to know how many of you have encountered people who go door-to-door for religious reasons, other than Jehovah's Witnesses and Mormons.  I'm not talking about fund-raising or anything like that, I'm talking about canvassing neighborhoods to invite people to religious services or to share a religious message or distribute literature.

I ask because I had never seen this outside of JWs and LDS until I got involved with a Holiness church a few years ago.*  But I had never heard of the "Holiness" movement, either.  My pastor does this almost every day.  He mainly just lets people know about our church, as it is fairly new.  Before you get too critical of him, though, remember that he is no different from political activists who go through a neighborhood with a petition or campaign literature.   

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Holiness_movement

*Of course, I usually just don't answer the door, so how do I know what church they are in? 
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Sindawe

• friend
  • Vashneesht
Re: Door to Door
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2007, 09:33:55 AM »
I had a couple from the local Bahai'i church come by a few weeks after they set up shop.  I just pointed to the No Solicitation, No Prostelyzation sign I have in my front window and pointedly inquired about their literacy.  They left.
I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do.

wingnutx

• friend
  • Danish Cartoonist
    • http://www.punk-rock.com
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2007, 09:36:50 AM »
I think I've had 7th Day Adventists, but I'm not entirely sure.

Last bunch of Jehovah's Witnesses that came to the door were only interested in spanish-speakers.

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2007, 09:54:08 AM »
Nope, illegal in my area.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2007, 09:55:25 AM »
I had a couple from the local Bahai'i church come by

Wow.  My first hit on this thread is about Bahai'i?  Interesting. 

I'd also like to know which of you have heard of any church that described themselves as being in the "holiness movement."  I had never heard of it, even though my Dad's side of the family is in one of the Church of God branches of that persuasion.

Going by Wiki's info, my church is in the "Conservative Holiness Movement."  Guess that's why I feel like such a leftist at my church.  (Not really.  cheesy)

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2007, 09:57:22 AM »
Nope, illegal in my area.

Really?  Where would that be and what exactly does the law prohibit?  Can the Girl Scouts sell you cookies? 

Don't worry, I won't be sending my preacher to your town.    angel

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2007, 09:59:54 AM »
Bedford, NH.

No door-to-door solicitors, canvassers, surveys, sales, proselytizing, etc, etc.
Apparently local ordinance, and also stated on a small, tasteful wooden sign at development entrance, along with "violators will be prosecuted".

I really don't mind. Smiley
I'm not sure when it became law, but I believe nearby Manchester did the same (or was at least considering such) after some incidents with some illegals getting intimidatingly pushy, trying to hock something door to door.

And people sell the girl scout cookies at their offices and in front of the supermarkets.

(BTW, those Samoas and Thin Mints things are crack. They put addictive drugs in them. That's the only possible explanation.)   grin

Bogie

• friend
  • Hunkered in South St. Louis, right by Route 66
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2007, 10:01:59 AM »
I've got a politican I'm working with going door to door on a voter registration campaign.
Blog under construction

Sindawe

• friend
  • Vashneesht
« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2007, 10:08:25 AM »
I'd also like to know which of you have heard of any church that described themselves as being in the "holiness movement."  I had never heard of it, even though my Dad's side of the family is in one of the Church of God branches of that persuasion.

Well, until this thread I'd never heard of that movement before.
I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2007, 10:13:22 AM »
PM me with your address, Sindawe.  I'll make sure you find out ALL about it.   grin

Be on the lookout for a tall guy in business casual with a receding Ronald McDonald fro.

Marnoot

• friend
« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2007, 10:18:40 AM »
     A local Baptist church here occasionally will distribute fliers around the neighborhood advertising various activities and their worship service times, etc. I've never been home when they came, so I don't know if they were knocking on doors or just leaving the fliers. When I was on my own Mormon mission, there was an group from a local Evangelical (if I remember right) church that would essentially stalk us some days when we were going door-to-door and distribute literature behind us and knock on doors. That's really the only run in I've had with Protestant proselytizers of any kind, though. There was an temporary surge of Southern Baptist proselytizers that tried to sweep through here around the time of the 2002 winter Olympics, but they never made it to my college apartment, at least when I was home.

Marnoot

• friend
« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2007, 10:31:38 AM »
Quote from: Manedwolf
No door-to-door solicitors, canvassers, surveys, sales, proselytizing, etc, etc.
My hometown had a law requiring licensing of all solicitors, etc., for several years that worked pretty well at keeping them in check, mostly because few went through the trouble of getting a license.  It was finally challenged in court on First Amendment grounds and the licensing law was struck down. I'm not sure if the city has tried to appeal it or not. It was a good few years, though. . .

Matthew Carberry

• Formerly carebear
  • friend
  • Fiat justitia, pereat mundus
« Reply #12 on: February 06, 2007, 10:36:54 AM »
As long as the door-to-door isn't pushy, just: "Hello. This is who we are, would you like to talk? No? Have a nice day." I don't have a problem with it.  It is the "Great Commission" after all.

When people get pushy and/or rude it is counter-productive to their own cause, tars other believers with their jerkoff brush and is yet another entry in my "why I should be allowed to muzzle people and beat them with sticks" litany.  That's an ecumenical list by the way. Wink
"Not all unwise laws are unconstitutional laws, even where constitutional rights are potentially involved." - Eugene Volokh

"As for affecting your movement, your Rascal should be able to achieve the the same speeds no matter what holster rig you are wearing."

crt360

• friend
« Reply #13 on: February 06, 2007, 10:55:08 AM »
fistful, does your church do the snake handling thing?  shocked  It seems that's one of the few things my mind associates with the Holiness movement.  What about speaking in tongues?
For entertainment purposes only.

Matthew Carberry

• Formerly carebear
  • friend
  • Fiat justitia, pereat mundus
« Reply #14 on: February 06, 2007, 11:04:20 AM »
fistful, does your church do the snake handling thing?  shocked  It seems that's one of the few things my mind associates with the Holiness movement.  What about speaking in tongues?

This is what happens when you let rogue Calvinists loose amongst the Scots-Irish.  Poetic, foolishly brave, drunkards need the structure of Catholicism or Presbyterianism or things get weird.
"Not all unwise laws are unconstitutional laws, even where constitutional rights are potentially involved." - Eugene Volokh

"As for affecting your movement, your Rascal should be able to achieve the the same speeds no matter what holster rig you are wearing."

Sindawe

• friend
  • Vashneesht
« Reply #15 on: February 06, 2007, 11:47:19 AM »
PM me with your address, Sindawe.  I'll make sure you find out ALL about it.

Sounds good.  I'm about out of meat for the cats, and DO so love long-pig. <Big Evil Grin>

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #16 on: February 06, 2007, 12:09:49 PM »
This is what happens when you let rogue Calvinists loose amongst the Scots-Irish.  Poetic, foolishly brave, drunkards need the structure of Catholicism or Presbyterianism or things get weird.
carebear:
I am glad I drink only water in front of my monitor.  Easier to clean up than pop.

Having been to quite a few churches where speaking in tongues & layin' on of hands was a regular occurrance, I can appreciate that remark, especially the bit about structure.  Never saw the snake-handling bit.  I did see two self-proclaimed prophets verbally duel out competing prophesies.  That is where I learned the term , "bean dreams."

In the interests of full disclosure, I once was a member of (and then ran) a Bible Study that got the nickname, "Singles Hottub Bible Study:  Where There's Plenty of Speakin' in Tounges and Layin' on of Hands."  FWIW, our Bibble study was the non-charismatic one that had a study plan & everything.  We all just ended up paired up & married off.  It beats finding your spouse in a strip club, as several Army buddies of mine did.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #17 on: February 06, 2007, 12:12:31 PM »
Long-pig is made of people?  If I didn't like you, I'd get all huffy about your wanting to eat a friend of mine.    undecided

crt, if you're serious, it does give me pause to consider what you and others must think of me.   shocked  I have no idea what type of churches handle snakes and never even heard of it happening anymore, though I suppose it does.  I've never heard of that being a holiness distinctive, but Wikipedia mentions Pentacostals, Calvinists and Holiness in their article on the subject.  Speaking of Calvinists, my pastor is so anti-Calvinist that he almost/sort of regards them as heretics.  He's pretty big on free will and very much opposed to "once-saved-always-saved."  So am I, but I don't get too excited about it. 

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Snake_handling

Speaking in tongues:

When I grew up, we went to Charismatic churches that specialized in speaking in tongues, holy laughter, being slain in the spirit, etc.  In fact, I did "speak in tongues," though I think I was just going along with the crowd.  While many of these charismatic excesses I now reject, I certainly believe God can and does give that gift, "as He wills, not as we wills."  As Hank Hanegraff would say, it may be scriptural, but it is certainly not normative.  So, yeah, while I believe in speaking in tongues, I don't expect to see it unless God has a particular reason to perform it.  My church agrees with me on that point, I think. 

Sorry, crt, you'll have to go elsewhere to test your faith by the handling of venomous serpents.   smiley

cosine

• Administrator
« Reply #18 on: February 06, 2007, 12:33:06 PM »

That's just all kinds of funny!  cheesy
Andy

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #19 on: February 06, 2007, 12:49:01 PM »
I think I've had 7th Day Adventists, but I'm not entirely sure.

You think?  What were the clues? 

Quote from: jfruser
"Singles Hottub Bible Study:  Where There's Plenty of Speakin' in Tounges and Layin' on of Hands." 

Then there's my church, which has been known to have segregated pool parties.  Smiley  Guess that means we're holier than thou.  Or is it thee?  What's the plural?   smiley

cosine

• Administrator
« Reply #20 on: February 06, 2007, 12:55:51 PM »
Then there's my church, which has been known to have segregated pool parties.  Smiley  Guess that means we're holier than thou.  Or is it thee?  What's the plural?   smiley

Segregated by what? Skin color, gender, etc.?
Andy

crt360

• friend
« Reply #21 on: February 06, 2007, 01:05:11 PM »
crt, if you're serious, it does give me pause to consider what you and others must think of me.   shocked

We thought you were tough, like your picture.  grin  I was just curious.  I never met anyone who did the snake handling.  In case you might have participated in or witnessed the activity, I didn't want to pass up the opportunity to learn more about it.  Like I said earlier, something in the back of my mind just came up with snake handling when I read Holiness movement.  I am now aware that there are less extreme segments of Holiness (Holinessism?).  I scanned the snake handling wiki link you posted.  I didn't realize they also drank poison. shocked  I suspect that, along with improper medical treatment of the rattlesnake and copperhead bites, might have something to do with the dwindling number of churches practicing the old "hands on" traditions.

Sorry, crt, you'll have to go elsewhere to test your faith by the handling of venomous serpents.   smiley

That's O.K.  I believe that the good Lord, supreme being, creator, or who/whatever is responsible for my existence gave me the wonderful ability to learn from the experience of others, so that I do not shorten my time here by playing with deadly snakes in an attempt to prove the strength of my faith.  smiley
For entertainment purposes only.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #22 on: February 06, 2007, 01:09:26 PM »
Um, I thought sex was pretty obvious as the segregating factor. 

This church is far more old-fashioned than what I was used to, and its "membership" is almost completely white,* so at first I was curious how they would deal with the race issus.  Turns out it's not an issue at all.  Not much in the Bible about race, of course.  We bus kids in to Sunday School, at least half of which are Black. 

*We don't have a formal membership.

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #23 on: February 06, 2007, 01:14:43 PM »
About 2 years ago I had an evangelical of some kind come to my door.  I told him where to go, and how to get there no differently than the Mo's or the JW's.
I also had a "No Soliciting, Religous or Sales" sign on my door.....But its not soliciting.....I might have made threats about getting my shotgun, but there is no proof....
 cheesy
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #24 on: February 06, 2007, 01:15:13 PM »
  I am now aware that there are less extreme segments of Holiness (Holinessism?).

It's not a matter of extremism, it's a matter of correct interpretation of the written Word.  I interpret the scripture in question as assuring me of God's miraculous protection when I need it, not that I should do all those scary things to prove that I have faith. 

Or maybe I'm just a wimp.