Author Topic: Getting married to my good buddy.  (Read 9273 times)

Getting married to my good buddy.
« Reply #25 on: September 08, 2005, 04:13:14 PM »
Some days, she makes it sound like nobody deserves to have a happy marriage.
Dude, what are you smoking? I've never slammed *anyone's* marriage. I also support people's right to marry whoever they want to. But no way am I going to recommend someone Winston's age get married, either.

At least I wasn't asking him for details about his sex life. Because whew..there are some lines that just shouldn't be crossed. Smiley

jefnvk

• friend
  • I'll sleep away the days and ride the nights...
« Reply #26 on: September 08, 2005, 05:10:31 PM »
But no way am I going to recommend someone Winston's age get married, either.
I got a friend that can attest to that.
I still say 'Give Detroit to Canada'

Standing Wolf

• friend
« Reply #27 on: September 08, 2005, 05:48:30 PM »
Whew! I think I'll just continue staying single.
No tyrant should ever be allowed to die of natural causes.

grampster

• friend
« Reply #28 on: September 08, 2005, 06:05:16 PM »
Gewehr,
On the contrary, I've not noticed Barbara bitter about anything.  Imho she has only expressed frustration and been defensive of not so traditional families from time to time.  From her posts I've seen the pride of a single mom who's done a fine job with her kids, and has rejected stereotypes and broadbrush descriptions of some folks' circumstances.  She also works hard in her community in Michigan.  I've never met her but I salute her efforts and her stand.
Maybe you ought to reconsider your criticism of her after a little reflection.
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

thorn

• friend
« Reply #29 on: September 08, 2005, 09:38:56 PM »
>>1.  So, I don't have to give homosexuals the use of my church for their wedding, but I would still have to pay for their marriage license with my tax dollars? <<<

yeah that must be a joke, the whole process behind any permit or license is it pays for itself.

marraige is a total sham completely manipulated by government ever since one KING of England decided he would like to  divorce his wife  rather than Behead her, while still being able to remarry.
if anyone actually gave the Bible a thorough read, neither Moses nor Jesus permit RE marraige under ANY circumstance other than death, and divorce is VERY limited.

SO as long as churches and govt recognize divorces and remarraiges as legitimate, they have NO business telling anyone what to do. there is no religion in it any more.

i dont go to a church regularly, but i associate with a few- if one allowed a gay marraige, i would stop going there.
but be upset over it elsewhere? what?
should we ban all non Chrisitian weddings?
"the sinners are gonna do what the sinners are gonna do" one pastor said that about it.
****but actually, given the mess of the courts, alimony, insurance benefits- drop all of it.
either make it permanent, divorce severly limited, re marragie prohibited other than if one spouse dies.**

« Reply #30 on: September 09, 2005, 12:35:01 AM »
Aw, thanks, Grampster. Smiley

Seriously, I love happy marriages. I don't see enough of them, and sure recognize my own limits when it comes to them, but some people are great at it. Smiley

Mongo

• http://mongomutter.blogspot.com/
« Reply #31 on: September 09, 2005, 01:09:00 AM »
"2. This means that a civil contract carries all the weight that "marriage" does now. Two people can get a civil contract (an exclusive one, btw), and recieve all the classic benefits of marriage."

WRONG ... DING,DING,DING

I live in a state (MO) which as far as I know does not recognize civil unions.  My fiancee and I are going to remain unmarried until my ex wife takes an eternal dirt nap.  Why?  My ex is not getting a cent of our money.  She is getting mine.  

The fiancee and I are legally tied (via trusts and other documents), so both we and our heirs are protected.  Cost $1,500 but worth it.  

By the way, since we are NOT married we do NOT "receive the classic benefits" = Tax benefits, Family health insurance, discounts, etc.

I really don't care about the gay marriage issue.  I do care when someone wants "rights" which somehow get their fingers on my wallet, whatever the issue.  If that happens they can expect to pull back a bloody stub.

As a matter of fact, I really hope two guys appear in front of my divorce judge, Carolyn J. Whittington of the St. Louis County Circuit Court.  Her head would explode, because she wouldn't know which man to shaft.  Liberal skank.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #32 on: September 09, 2005, 03:52:31 AM »
Quote from: cordex
I'm okay with civil unions completely without regard to the sexuality or sex involved.  If a couple of retired ladies have been living together for twenty years because neither of them have family to take care of them, I've got no problem with them signing a civil union - even if they never, ever, ever plan on being sexually involved.
Bingo.  

Quote from: fistful
2.  Can you give some reason why two people having sex should be a matter for legal recognition?
Quote from: Hunter Rose
Just two people having sex? No reason.
Actually there are a number of answers to that second question.  If one of those people is a minor, or doesn't consent, then we have some legal issues.  When sex results in conception, we could also have some legal issues.  That is why the legal recognition of marriage might be a good idea, what with marriages usually producing an innocent third party, who did not consent to the union.

So, I don't have to give homosexuals the use of my church for their wedding, but I would still have to pay for their marriage license with my tax dollars?
OK, my boo-boo.  I still very much doubt that the marriage license fee covers the whole cost.  Oh well.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #33 on: September 09, 2005, 03:54:52 AM »
Secular Argument against homosexual marriage and homosexual civil unions

Here is my thesis; critique away:

The law should not treat monogamous homosexual relationships differently than it treats similar relationships that do not involve sex.  

Or to put it another way:

If homosexuals do not want government in their bedrooms, then why do they want their sexual relationship to be recognized?

Supporting argument:

If we have no grounds to discriminate between marriage and homosexual relationships, then neither have we grounds to discriminate against other long-term friendships or partnerships.  Advocates of homosexual marriage, hereafter referred to as HM, say that married couples receive certain benefits denied to homosexual couples.  However, it would hardly be right to deny such benefits to other pairings or groups of people.  Such rights, if extended to homosexual couples, ought also to apply to friends or adult relatives who live together or can claim some other lasting bond.  To recognize HM is to say that any long-term sexual or romantic relationship is equivalent to marriage.  It is to bring sex into legal scrutiny in a way that marriage never has.  

Consider two fictional men named Jake and Ramon.  In a possible future which includes HM, Jake and Ramon have shared a house together for twenty years, but because they do not have sex with one another, or enjoy a romantic relationship, they presumably cannot enjoy the benefits of marriage.  Hector and Cecilia live next door, and they may get married even if they hate each other and never touch one another.  Why?  Because marriage is not the private behavior protected by the Lawrence v. Texas ruling.  Sex, love, romance; these are private.  Hector and Cecilia may partake of them as they wish.  Marriage is a public commitment, solemnized by religious and/or social recognition and supported by law.  

If the state has any reason, justification or interest in recognizing Hector and Cecilias relationship, it because it is expected that a man and woman living together will have children - a third party that did not agree to the union.  That marriages usually produce children differentiates them not only from homosexual relationships, but from all other relationships.  Only long-term heterosexual cohabitation could come close to having the potential to produce children that a marriage does  perhaps that is why these are often considered common-law marriages.  The state does not probe to find out whether a married couple loves one another or whether they have sex or children.  The state doesnt care, unless divorce occurs, and neither do we.  The minister who conducts their wedding ceremony may counsel them and may refuse to marry them if he finds they do not love one another, but this is the business of churches and other social groups.  It is not within the purview of a secular state.

Disclaimer:  I am not saying that the state should be involved in marriage, only that children produced thereby would be the only obvious reason for that involvement.

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #34 on: September 09, 2005, 05:51:10 AM »
I still very much doubt that the marriage license fee covers the whole cost.  Oh well.
What costs wouldn't be covered?  More to the point, exactly what costs are incurred?
Lemme see ... they record some information about occupations and who the parents are and stick those in a big bound book so my great-great-great-great grandkids can see who their great-great-great-great grandparents' parents were and what our occupations were when we got married.  They file a form in the courthouse stating that you're married and send you a copy.  With the filing done in batches, I can't believe this would cost more than a few dollars apiece.  My guess is that they're making money on these.  Not much in Indiana ($20 out the door), but some I'm sure.

tyme

• expat
  • friend
  • Did you know that dolphins are just gay sharks?
    • TFL Library
« Reply #35 on: September 09, 2005, 03:56:57 PM »
I think Heinlein got the dynamics of marriage just about right in some of his books.  Secular marriage should be a contract to have and/or raise children.  Religious marriage can be whatever the religion wants it to be.  Anything other than raising children should not be deemed "marriage" in secular/legal terms, because nothing except child-rearing needs any special provisions in the legal system.
Support Range Voting.
End Software Patents

"Four people are dead.  There isn't time to talk to the police."  --Sherlock (BBC)

Moondoggie

• friend
« Reply #36 on: September 09, 2005, 05:48:05 PM »
Sooooooo...

If your child/ren die or otherwise become emancipated would that mean that the couple are no longer married since they're no longer raising children?Huh???

Grandpa and Grandma are just shacking-up now that they have an empty nest???

Turns out one or both married partners are infertile....their marriage is defunct since there's no child raising in their future???

BTW, Winston; although I'm what most folks would think of as a conservative, although NOT a Christian, I don't think it's my place to judge your choice of partners or lifestyle.  We can spread $ around all over the globe, it's not gonna bankrupt our economy to provide a tax break or medical insurance benefits to a few thousand more of our own citizens.
Known from coast to coast, almost!

atek3

• friend
    • http://www.geocities.com/atek128/Welcome.html
« Reply #37 on: September 10, 2005, 10:21:40 PM »
Quote from: mongo
As a matter of fact, I really hope two guys appear in front of my divorce judge, Carolyn J. Whittington of the St. Louis County Circuit Court.  Her head would explode, because she wouldn't know which man to shaft.  Liberal skank.
if i drank milk, it would shoot out of my nose.  I like the part where you said 'skank'  ROFL.

atek3

Antibubba

• friend
« Reply #38 on: September 11, 2005, 04:17:29 PM »
Fistful (and others),

It isn't that gays want the government to recognize their sexual relationship.  They want the government to recognize their relationship REGARDLESS OF their orientation.

Marriage, in most cultures, has almost entirely been about two things:  Paternity and Property.  Paternity, because if you couldn't be 100% certain of a female's activities and wherabouts, you couldn't know the little squallers were your own.  We scowl at and mock Muslims who make their women wear the chador, but there are still large numbers of Americans who concern themselves over the presence and condition of a maidenhead.  And Property, because what the woman could materially bring into the marriage became her husband's, and after his death, to his sons.  The wife belonged to the husband; he could do with her as he wished.

The government's interest is not on paternity, but property-What's his, what's theirs, and what is due to the Government.  And from that base, a great many other questions come up: inheritance, insurance, parental rights, etc.  Every marriage is a form of incorporation, even if we choose not to think of it that way.  On what sound business reason would you allow one incorporation but not the other?  It can't be purely a procreative one, or my Grandma wouldn't have been allowed to remarry at the age of 70.  Do childless couples have fewer rights than another couple with six?  Or fewer rights than unmarried parents?

As for European populations shrinking, yes, childbearing is down, but another big factor in the argument is that many Euros are worried about the influx of "non-whites" who could hold a majority of votes soon if the locals don't embark on a breeding program soon.  For a good part of American history, immigration has been a huge factor in the creation of new consumers, manufacturers, and taxpayers.  I'm proud to say that a far lower numbers of Americans are consumed with notions of cultural (racial) purity than the Euros.  But there still some who are afraid, aren't there?

And as to the questions of pedophilia and polygamy, there is the standard of harm.  Adults are not to engage in sexual relations with minors because we do not deem children capable of making such complex decisions, nor are they strong enough or willful enough to adequately decline to participate.  Interestingly though, while sexual relations between adults and minors of a certain age are illegal, the age of consent is often much lower when the minor is to be married. (Please correct me if I'm wrong, but I read that in Kansas a child as young as ten may be married with the parents' permission)   As for polygamy, it would be hard to argue that wife and husband were in any sense equal, or had equal say into getting married in the first place.  If we look at current-day examples, such as the Fundamental Church of Latter Day Saints (who the mainstream LDS church have condemned and claim no affiliation to), the prosecutions and charges were not on polygamy charges, but on statutory rape (13 and 14-year old "brides") and fraud (for not paying taxes and for "providing" for the family by blatantly ripping off the welfare system).  Imagine a FLDS family that was self supported and whose participants were all of legal age, and it would never see a courthouse; I imagine there are more than a few such families out there, not attracting attention.

Even for those who here who say they are opposed to Feminism, the way you approach your future wife and how you treat her during marriage is very different than in your grandparent's day.  I think there are many today who could maturely handle polymarriage.  

The biggest objection is a moral one, and while a great many lawmakers may see it otherwise, it is not the function of government to decide morality.  It decides laws and enforcement of them, laws which strive to "keep the peace and order", and deter disorder and harm.  And even if thinking about two men kissing nauseates you, it is not causing the breakdown of society.  I'm certain there a great many married, heterosexual couples whose intimate activities would put you off your feed, too (Jim and Tammy Bakker were ALWAYS an appetite suppressant for me :barf: ).  

Besides, think of the effect on the economy: If 10% of the population is gay, and half of them want to get married, there would be a huge boost in new house sales and durable goods.  Smiley

I'll stop there.
If life gives you melons, you may be dyslexic.

Antibubba

• friend
« Reply #39 on: September 11, 2005, 04:21:51 PM »
And on top of that, I think Winston was joking when he referred to himself and the article-at least, that's the way I read it.
If life gives you melons, you may be dyslexic.

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #40 on: September 12, 2005, 05:58:23 AM »
If your child/ren die or otherwise become emancipated would that mean that the couple are no longer married since they're no longer raising children?Huh???

Grandpa and Grandma are just shacking-up now that they have an empty nest???

Turns out one or both married partners are infertile....their marriage is defunct since there's no child raising in their future???
I think what tyme was saying is that in a situation where children aren't at issue (infertile couple, past child-bearing age, whatever) the government need not address the situation at all.  Any interest the government has need only apply to kids generated by the union, and where there are none the government should keep its filthy hands to itself.

That doesn't mean that Grandma and Grandpa aren't married in the religious definition.  That would be up to them.  When they said their vows they probably didn't include Uncle Sam.  Do you see official government recognition of a personal religious ceremony to be necessary for the validity of that ceremony?

It wasn't until the 1920s that the feds passed a law that required marriage licenses.  Prior to that, only interracial marriages required licenses (where allowed) and that was on a state-by-state basis.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #41 on: September 12, 2005, 08:33:18 PM »
Quote from: Antibubba
It isn't that gays want the government to recognize their sexual relationship.  They want the government to recognize their relationship REGARDLESS OF their orientation....The government's interest is not on paternity, but property
Then why is it called "gay marriage," rather than "long-term economic partnership"?  If we're changing the law to make it easier for two or more people to make business arrangements between themselves, then you'd hear not a peep from me or Doctor Dobson.  The problem is that part and parcel of the effort is to demand that this be equal to marriage, in legal terms, and this implies a legal ENDORSEMENT of homosexuality.

As I said above:

If we have no grounds to discriminate between marriage and homosexual relationships, then neither have we grounds to discriminate against other long-term friendships or partnerships.  Advocates of homosexual marriage, hereafter referred to as HM, say that married couples receive certain benefits denied to homosexual couples.  However, it would hardly be right to deny such benefits to other pairings or groups of people.  Such rights, if extended to homosexual couples, ought also to apply to friends or adult relatives who live together or can claim some other lasting bond.  To recognize HM is to say that any long-term sexual or romantic relationship is equivalent to marriage.  It is to bring sex into legal scrutiny in a way that marriage never has.  

Civil unions open to all groups of people and totally unconnected to sex or marriage:  Okay

Homosexual marriage or civil unions/domestic partnerships intended only for homosexuals:  a blatant and gratuitous govt. endorsement of homosexuality and entirely without social value

Strings

« Reply #42 on: September 12, 2005, 09:27:08 PM »
fistful: you're right, we shouldn't discriminate between any grouping of adults wishing to enter into such an arrangement ("civil union"). So long as all those involved are adults, and consent, then any grouping (two or more) should be able to enter into a civil union (which SHOULD be the equal to what we call "marriage" now)...

Wow... we actually agree on something! Wink

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #43 on: September 12, 2005, 09:31:00 PM »
HR,

Just so long as my position is understood, that I don't think civil unions should be considered a marriage.

Strings

« Reply #44 on: September 12, 2005, 10:15:52 PM »
ok... so we DO disagree... in a way.

I (personally) think we need to remove any legal standing from the term "marriage". Make it (and anything like it between two or more consenting adults) a "civil union" for the legalese. "Marriage" should be a strictly religious term...

mfree

• friend
« Reply #45 on: September 13, 2005, 04:36:17 AM »
Mongo,

You can't cherrypick a clause out of a paragraph meant as a proposal for change and say that it's wrong currently and then claim success in your argument. The whole reason the clause is up there is because in the current lawbooks it's *not* that way.

Learn to read closer.

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #46 on: September 13, 2005, 09:24:05 AM »
I (personally) think we need to remove any legal standing from the term "marriage". Make it (and anything like it between two or more consenting adults) a "civil union" for the legalese. "Marriage" should be a strictly religious term...
I agree completely.

"Civil union" should be the catchall domestic partnership for unions of whatever sexuality.  Marriage need not be defined by the government at all.  If you want to refuse to recognize that Billy and Jimmy down the street are "married" because your definition of marriage does not allow two guys, that's great.  If you want to refuse to recognize that Timmy and Sally are married because they're too young or not in love or one is white and one is black or you have a crush on Sally or Timmy broke your car window ten years back or whatever, that's fine too.  If you don't like the idea of Greg, Tina and Samantha being married because your idea of marriage only allows for one man and one woman, more power to you!  For legal purposes, all should be recognized as equivalent "civil unions" but none need be legally defined as "married".

That's how I feel, anyway.