Author Topic: Amusing beer review...  (Read 7801 times)

Manedwolf

• friend
Amusing beer review...
« on: November 28, 2008, 04:45:20 PM »
This is hilarious. They get them to try "Budweiser and Clamato" in a can, which apparently absolutely vile.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NiUsLUS27gg

This is something you apparently give to people you despise.

PTK

• friends
Re: Amusing beer review...
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2008, 04:52:56 PM »
Horrifyingly bad beer. I smelled it from a distance a while back and wouldn't even go close to a cup, never mind try it.

The faces they make, and the "it gets worse and worse!" "it's alright when it first hits, but then it's like... CLAM"
"Only lucky people grow old." - Frederick L.
September 1915 - August 2008

"If you really do have cancer "this time", then this is your own fault. Like the little boy who cried wolf."

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2008, 05:59:32 PM »
It's actually pretty good.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

PTK

• friends
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2008, 06:06:33 PM »
Brad

That's a mean joke to play on people to get them to try it.  :lol:

"If you really do have cancer "this time", then this is your own fault. Like the little boy who cried wolf."

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2008, 07:35:04 PM »
Beer Advocate.com on Budweiser Chelada.

This abomination smells like clam poo-poo, if bivalves do indeed take a dump. The taste is even worse...I cant even begin to describe how nasty this is. I nearly wretch just trying to take a sip. How can they sell this stuff?

Mouthfeel is like a can of bud light that a dog has taken a crap in and left outside in 100 degree weather for 2 weeks.

it gives me shivers just thinking about it.

This beer tastes like acid reflux it's *expletive deleted*in' horrible and not in a funny way....

Tastes of tomato, salt, and lime up front, backed by shellfish, and perhaps some pepper and celery seed, all mixed with a slight Budweiser flavor, on top of a standard Budweiser body. An interesting brew to say the least, but, overall.... bleech.

Avoid at all costs.

Tastes a lot like someone was going to make a Bloody Mary, but couldn't find any vodka, so they used Budweiser instead. Then used way too much salt. Then decided to juice assorted sea creatures into the mix......I've never had the misfortune of drinking a glass of fish blood, but I expect this is what it tastes like.

Aroma is like concentrated Long Island Sound. Brine and spice with a distinct dead sea creature nuance.

Flavor is so bad I can scarsely describe it. Pain. Fear. Agony. This is what cancer tastes like.

Body is akin to tomato soup mixed with Diet Sprite. Filthy and undrinkable. This tastes like a terrorist plot.

Dats enough, eh.
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2008, 09:40:39 PM »
This is surely a sign of the Apocalypse.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2008, 10:01:55 AM »
Aroma is like concentrated Long Island Sound. Brine and spice with a distinct dead sea creature nuance.

Flavor is so bad I can scarsely describe it. Pain. Fear. Agony. This is what cancer tastes like.

Body is akin to tomato soup mixed with Diet Sprite. Filthy and undrinkable. This tastes like a terrorist plot.

Is this supposed to be a drink or a portable liquid torture device?   ****, man, I don't think I've EVER heard reviews for a product this bad.   Is there any customer base at all?
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2008, 10:12:49 AM »
I have been a homebrewer for many years.  In my beer journals/websites, it is reported that the combination of beer and clamato juice has been popular in Mexico for decades.  When you go to the Budweiser website, you note that the first test markets are in southern California and in Texas.  It is primarily being marketed to the Hispanic population.

PTK

• friends
« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2008, 10:35:11 AM »
I could understand JUST "clamato" and beer - but clamato, bad beer, salt, and lime? Overkill, and.... lord, I don't even want to smell the stuff.

grislyatoms

• friends
« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2008, 10:35:21 AM »
Here in the Southwest, beer/tomato juice and beer/Clamato is very popular.

I love Clamato. I have been drinking it since it first came out in our market (Va. Beach) in the early 70's. A staple at Grandma's house. Great stuff.

I love beer, though I don't partake anymore.

I gave the Bud/Clamato concoction a try once, thinking I would like it.

It is utterly vile. As in, take a swig, spit it out and pour-the-rest-down-the-drain vile.

"A son of the sea, am I" Gordon Lightfoot

MikePGS

« Reply #10 on: November 29, 2008, 02:55:02 PM »
Ever since seeing those at the store I've always wondered why on earth someone would combine the two, or at the very least why so many would want such a thing that a company can mass produce it. How many times do people say "man i really like clam juice, I just wish it could get me messed up"?
"The people in the gun culture have a better safety record than any police department in the nation, but in
several states actually prohibit us from using guns for self-protection, and in all the other states except one
they make us buy a license. They tax us so we can have more cops, and when crime still goes up, they tax
us more and ban more of our guns."
John Ross, Unintended Consequences

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #11 on: November 29, 2008, 03:16:48 PM »
Clam juice?

Can you explain this concept to me please?
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #12 on: November 29, 2008, 03:20:15 PM »
Clam juice?

Can you explain this concept to me please?

It's just what it sounds like. The liquid poured out of fresh clams when opened.

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #13 on: November 29, 2008, 03:24:47 PM »
Manedwolf, because seafood is not kosher, it is not commonly served in restaurants here.

While I do not keep kosher - and even eat pork - I have never attended a restaurant that serves seafood. Further, I was not aware that there are people that produce juice from clams and drink it on purpose.

So people keep this 'juice' and drink it? Wouldn't it be... a bit briny?

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #14 on: November 29, 2008, 03:26:31 PM »
Yes, it would be.

Ironic that a place right on the ocean there doesn't eat seafood. Though with the Palis' idea of sewage treatment being pretty much the same as the Mexicans', it seems, as in "blow it into the ocean untreated", that might be just as well.

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #15 on: November 29, 2008, 03:27:58 PM »
Same as Tel-Aviv's idea of sewage treatment.

Seafood restaurants exist. Tel-Aviv is full of them, as it has almost no Orthodox Jews and plenty of tourists.

But... clam juice? I am stunned by the very concept.

Uncle Bubba

• friend
  • Billy Fish
« Reply #16 on: November 29, 2008, 04:03:08 PM »
I have been a homebrewer for many years.  In my beer journals/websites, it is reported that the combination of beer and clamato juice has been popular in Mexico for decades.  When you go to the Budweiser website, you note that the first test markets are in southern California and in Texas.  It is primarily being marketed to the Hispanic population.

They can have it. I don't even want to think about how it'd taste.

In the vein of "aiming for the Hispanic market": I have an old and good friend who turned the beerhound status of our youth into a pretty good living, started his homebrewing in '92 and today is Brewmaster for a microbrewery and pub in Florida. He told about going to one of the big brew conventions/shows out West a few years ago and tasting a beer flavored with jalapenos. After spitting it out and stifling his gag reflex he spent the rest of the day swilling everything he could in an unsuccessful attempt to get the taste of that swill out of his mouth.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2008, 11:38:51 PM by Uncle Bubba »
It's a strange world. Some people get rich and others eat *expletive deleted*it and die. Dr. Hunter S. Thompson

Quote from: Fly320s
But, generally speaking, people are idiots outside their own personal sphere.

El Tejon

• friend
    • http://www.kirkfreemanlaw.com
« Reply #17 on: November 29, 2008, 04:58:49 PM »
Micro, claim juice is just another compelling reason to keep kosher. =D
I do not smoke pot, wear Wookie suits, live in my mom's basement, collect unemployment checks or eat Cheetoes, therefore I am not a Ron Paul voter.

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #18 on: November 29, 2008, 05:14:46 PM »
Now mind you, the beer we are discussing here does not contain just clam juice.  It contains Clamato: the very best of clam and tomato juice combined! 

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #19 on: November 29, 2008, 05:21:15 PM »
It's just what it sounds like. The liquid poured out of fresh clams when opened.

Actually, I think it is the liquid leftover from steaming certain varieties of clams.  On the Oregon coast we call it clam nectar.  When you order a batch of steamers, the waitress will often ask if you want the nectar, and will serve it in a cup for sipping if you desire. 
It's pretty good, actually.  But I cannot, for the life of me, imagine why anyone would mix it with tomato juice.  Ugh.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #20 on: November 29, 2008, 06:31:38 PM »
I enjoy a nice dish of steamed clams that we have dug ourselves, and make a great 'broth' with the clam nectar, some white wine, a bay leaf, seasonings, and chopped onion.  A nice crusty loaf of sourdough bread to sop up the broth, and that is a great meal! I use the bottled clam juice when making my New England style clam chowder.  I have not tried Clamato, and I am now wondering if I should just to see what it is like.

lee n. field

• friend
« Reply #21 on: November 29, 2008, 06:54:48 PM »
because seafood is not kosher

IN general?  My recollection was that "fins and scales OK, otherwise not".

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #22 on: November 29, 2008, 06:56:13 PM »
IN general?  My recollection was that "fins and scales OK, otherwise not".

You speak truth. So no shark fins or kalmari.

Lennyjoe

• friend
« Reply #23 on: November 29, 2008, 07:12:39 PM »
Budweiser sucks to begin with.  Not suprised they came out with something just as vile as their signature beer.

lee n. field

• friend
« Reply #24 on: November 29, 2008, 09:58:23 PM »
So no shark fins or kalmari.

Shark tastes good.  Squid I'll pass.  I'll stick with the phylum I'm familiar with.  Another reason to pass on the Budclamweiser-spew.