Poll

Is Suicide a valid choice for Vampires?

Dead Shouldn't move, lets correct that
All life is sacred; even unlife

Author Topic: Vampire Suicide  (Read 6358 times)

Ned Hamford

• friend
Vampire Suicide
« on: October 10, 2012, 12:50:30 PM »
Was chatting with an office mate when my background music mix played Jonathan Coulton's Blue Sunny Day.  http://youtu.be/AQtZJQtBe8E

Sooo... Vampire Suicide... What say you?  General assumption; non-sparkly kind.  Human blood is either required for life or gives such a craving it is just a matter of time no matter the willpower.  

• All life is Sacred, Even Unlife
  • Seems the decent thing to do; or is otherwise a valid personal choice

Also, how does one setup a poll?
edited from can one setup a poll  =D 
« Last Edit: October 10, 2012, 01:03:35 PM by Ned Hamford »
Improbus a nullo flectitur obsequio.

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
Re: Vampire Suicide
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2012, 01:01:21 PM »
Yes, you can setup polls.  (if you can't modify it, PM me with what you want and I'll change it.)

And anything that requires human flesh* to survive (and turning others into the undead, especially if it's your Mother-in-Law) deserves to die.

* Yes, I know there are dust mites and microbes that eat human flesh and/or co-habitat the human body.  Most provide a useful function, it's when they cause problems that they need to die.  
« Last Edit: October 10, 2012, 01:05:19 PM by scout26 »
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

SADShooter

• friend
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2012, 01:10:05 PM »
Immediate thread veer: Jonathan Coulton's "Millionaire Girlfriend" was the first track of his I heard. Still cracks me up.

On topic: Vampire equals direct existential threat. Buh-bye.
"Ah, is there any wine so sweet and intoxicating as the tears of a hippie?"-Tamara, View From the Porch

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2012, 01:38:01 PM »
Oh, wait!

This is if yourself got turned into a vampire and you suicide to save others cause your dead?

My answer changes somewhat in that case. Only if I'm with people I like and am gareenteed to eat/kill them.

Otherwise, aw hell no! I'm gonna live forever! MuWAHAHAHAHA!  >:D
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2012, 02:13:49 PM »
It seems like the decent thing to do.

(Assuming you can't procure the human blood/flesh ethically).
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2012, 02:33:41 PM »
It seems like the decent thing to do.

ditto
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2012, 03:13:56 PM »
Every predator (Humans included) kills other creatures to survive.  Just because I moved up the food chain a rung that doesn't change. I think I'd stick around for a while.

Besides there's A LOT of people in this world I could eat before I got around to someone that didn't deserve it.  Might have to move to Chicago for ease of hunting.

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2012, 03:30:36 PM »
Every predator (Humans included) kills other creatures to survive.  Just because I moved up the food chain a rung that doesn't change. I think I'd stick around for a while.

Besides there's A LOT of people in this world I could eat before I got around to someone that didn't deserve it.  Might have to move to Chicago for ease of hunting.

A point to consider.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

SADShooter

• friend
« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2012, 03:42:22 PM »

I confess I am forced to reevaluate my preconceptions... =|
"Ah, is there any wine so sweet and intoxicating as the tears of a hippie?"-Tamara, View From the Porch

Regolith

• friend
« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2012, 03:49:39 PM »
It kind of depends. How much control do you have over your actions? If we're going MHI style vampires, you're basically gone; once you're a vampire you are completely subsumed by it, and you (or at least your body) pretty much become evil. In that case, you'd not be able to commit suicide even if you wanted to (or, alternatively, your sense of morality would be warped so you wouldn't want to).

If you were more like Blade/Angel/(possibly)Supernatural vampires, and were able to somewhat control your actions, then you have more options. If you can control your cravings and/or pick your targets, there is something to be said for becoming a vampiric Punisher, or perhaps a Blade/Angel-type vampire who hunts down other monsters that aren't so picky.  OTOH, if you can't control your cravings, and you pretty much loose your *expletive deleted* whenever you're around normal humans, then yeah, suicide becomes pretty attractive at that point.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2012, 03:53:33 PM by Regolith »
The price of freedom is eternal vigilance. - Thomas Jefferson

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves. - William Pitt the Younger

Perfectly symmetrical violence never solved anything. - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #10 on: October 10, 2012, 03:51:05 PM »
Might have to move to Chicago for ease of hunting.

My tastes run higher than that.

=|
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

Jocassee

• Buster Scruggs Respecter
  • friends
  • "First time?"
« Reply #11 on: October 10, 2012, 04:05:36 PM »
Damnit where IS that case of silver-infused 7.62 I ordered from Romania?
I shall not die alone, alone, but kin to all the powers,
As merry as the ancient sun and fighting like the flowers.

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
« Reply #12 on: October 10, 2012, 04:16:50 PM »
It kind of depends. How much control do you have over your actions? If we're going MHI style vampires, you're basically gone; once you're a vampire you are completely subsumed by it, and you (or at least your body) pretty much become evil. In that case, you'd not be able to commit suicide even if you wanted to (or, alternatively, your sense of morality would be warped so you wouldn't want to).

If you were more like Blade/Angel/(possibly)Supernatural vampires, and were able to somewhat control your actions, then you have more options. If you can control your cravings and/or pick your targets, there is something to be said for becoming a vampiric Punisher, or perhaps a Blade/Angel-type vampire who hunts down other monsters that aren't so picky.  OTOH, if you can't control your cravings, and you pretty much loose your *expletive deleted* whenever you're around normal humans, then yeah, suicide becomes pretty attractive at that point.

Mostly this, althougth I would hesitate to say that the changes in personal morality would be a reason. Becoming a mindless eating machine is one thing (30 days of night or John Carpenter type) but the "warped values" arn't actually warped anything. You've changed species, so what's warped to a human isn't so warped to a vampire.

As a human, with human values I would rather not be killing my friends or family or people who I think are decent folks. As a vampire I may gain a totally diffrent perspective which would make doing those things alright.

It's a pickle.
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #13 on: October 10, 2012, 04:39:06 PM »
Damnit where IS that case of silver-infused 7.62 I ordered from Romania?

Only works on werewolves and the like.  No effect on Vampires.
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
« Reply #14 on: October 10, 2012, 04:56:58 PM »
Only works on werewolves and the like.  No effect on Vampires.

Depends on,the mythology used. Sometimes silver is used on Vampires and sometimes holy symbols have no effect, depending on the writer.
I think using silver on Vampires stems from using holy relects melted down into weapons.

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #15 on: October 10, 2012, 05:16:14 PM »
Full auto shotgun firing wooden bolts made from support beams of ancient Jesuit monastery for the win.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #16 on: October 10, 2012, 05:34:26 PM »
This is not a poll, Ned. You forgot to ask a question.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

White Horseradish

• friend
« Reply #17 on: October 10, 2012, 05:37:34 PM »
* Yes, I know there are dust mites and microbes that eat human flesh and/or co-habitat the human body.  Most provide a useful function, it's when they cause problems that they need to die.  
Vampires can provide a useful function. High blood pressure is rampant these days.   =D

Given the number of goth girls (and guys) that would willingly feed you I can't see that being a problem at all.

Every predator (Humans included) kills other creatures to survive.  Just because I moved up the food chain a rung that doesn't change. I think I'd stick around for a while.

Besides there's A LOT of people in this world I could eat before I got around to someone that didn't deserve it.  Might have to move to Chicago for ease of hunting.
This.

Political tags - such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth - are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire.

Robert A Heinlein

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #18 on: October 10, 2012, 05:45:42 PM »
Can the vampire eat the blood of animals like in some of the movies I have seen or just humans?

There was a movie from a few years back that wasn't all that well known.  Vampirism was discovered as a "health enhancement" and most people converted.  But there was a shortage of human blood and normal humans were getting hunted down and converted to living blood banks. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
« Reply #19 on: October 10, 2012, 05:47:35 PM »
Can the vampire eat the blood of animals like in some of the movies I have seen or just humans?

There was a movie from a few years back that wasn't all that well known.  Vampirism was discovered as a "health enhancement" and most people converted.  But there was a shortage of human blood and normal humans were getting hunted down and converted to living blood banks. 

Seems to me, the only movie Vampires that eat animals are the "goody goody" twighlight types.

I don't want to glitter.  :P

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #20 on: October 10, 2012, 05:48:21 PM »
I thought vampires just drank a non-lethal amount of the victims' blood, but the bite infected the victim with vampirism  ???

I just can't keep up with all the mythical creatures  :facepalm:
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #21 on: October 10, 2012, 05:49:37 PM »
Given the number of goth girls (and guys) that would willingly feed you I can't see that being a problem at all.

But aren't they a) one-time use only and b) then in competition with you for blood (and with most-likely lower standards about who to not get it from?

I personally subscribe to the theory that says in order to "kill" them you must drive a stake through their heart and it must contact the earth.  Of course the other method, preventing them from returning to the soil from their grave, also has both merit and fascination (as well as at least theoretically lessening the chance of actual contact exposure).

As regards vampire suicide - I just do not see that level of despondency occurring.

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

Strings

• APS Pimp
  • friend
« Reply #22 on: October 10, 2012, 05:53:33 PM »
I think you're mythtaken there, VA
No Child Should Live In Fear

What was that about a pearl handled revolver and someone from New Orleans again?

Screw it: just autoclave the planet (thanks Birdman)

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #23 on: October 10, 2012, 06:20:48 PM »
I think you're mythtaken there, VA

If I am, I'll be around tonight to let you know.  =D

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
« Reply #24 on: October 10, 2012, 06:40:09 PM »
But aren't they a) one-time use only and b) then in competition with you for blood (and with most-likely lower standards about who to not get it from?

I personally subscribe to the theory that says in order to "kill" them you must drive a stake through their heart and it must contact the earth.  Of course the other method, preventing them from returning to the soil from their grave, also has both merit and fascination (as well as at least theoretically lessening the chance of actual contact exposure).

As regards vampire suicide - I just do not see that level of despondency occurring.

stay safe.

Sunlight kills vampires pretty effectively.  It did in the one in NOSFERATU post haste.
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero