Author Topic: Standing Wolf  (Read 8898 times)

geronimotwo

• friend
Re: Standing Wolf
« Reply #25 on: January 29, 2014, 08:14:02 AM »
sorry to hear that,  rip.  i never dealt with him personally, but he seemed to have his head on straight.
make the world idiot proof.....and you will have a world full of idiots. -g2

grampster

• friend
« Reply #26 on: January 29, 2014, 08:52:22 AM »
I got the news from another board.  I haven't seen an obit.

http://linearreflections.com/index.php?detail=619  This is a blog and an interview with SW.
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #27 on: January 29, 2014, 08:58:15 AM »
RIP Good Sir.  You were and are missed.
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

tokugawa

• friend
« Reply #28 on: January 29, 2014, 10:30:31 AM »
May he rest in a better place than this.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #29 on: January 29, 2014, 10:38:09 AM »
I got the news from another board.  I haven't seen an obit.

http://linearreflections.com/index.php?detail=619  This is a blog and an interview with SW.

Thank you for posting that grampster. I would have never guessed his IRL profession.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #30 on: January 29, 2014, 12:13:39 PM »
A sad day, indeed.

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

BryanP

• friendly hermit
  • friend
« Reply #31 on: January 29, 2014, 12:42:47 PM »
Damn.  I'm sorry to hear he's gone.  Rest in peace sir.
"Inaccurately attributed quotes are the bane of the internet" - Abraham Lincoln

Larry Ashcraft

• Administrator
« Reply #32 on: January 29, 2014, 01:50:31 PM »
Do you have a link to an obituary Grampster?
No obituary as far as I know.  He had moved from Colorado Springs to Idaho in October.  He had a massive heart attack in his apartment about January 11, and one of his neighbors became concerned, called police, and his body was discovered Jan. 15th.

He requested that his ashes be spread over the Pacific Ocean, and his sister is going to do that in San Diego this summer.  No memorial service has been scheduled.

The reason I know all this is because in his will, he requested that several people be notified, and I was one of them.  His sister wrote me a nice letter instead of letting the attorney handle it.

RIP James.  I'm glad I got to spend at least a few hours talking to you.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2014, 03:29:13 PM by Larry Ashcraft »

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #33 on: January 29, 2014, 05:26:37 PM »
He was a long history poster on THR, APS and probably other boards. Didn't know him personally, but always liked his personality. My thoughts are with him.

Ditto.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

grampster

• friend
« Reply #34 on: January 29, 2014, 06:58:27 PM »
Larry, I know you and James were well acquainted.  My condolences to you in the loss of a friend.
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #35 on: January 29, 2014, 07:19:10 PM »
http://linearreflections.com/index.php?detail=619

Shows a personal website at http:// www.jstillwater.com/art/portraits/stillport.html

jstillwater.com
Network Solutions
jstillwater.com expired on 01/26/2014 and is pending renewal or deletion.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2014, 08:15:33 PM by lee n. field »
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #36 on: January 29, 2014, 07:51:36 PM »
Larry,

If you are back in contact with his family let them know he was a highly regarded member here by most of us; especially those of us that were here from the beginning and were familiar with each other from other boards.

He was one of the original members of APS and I was saddened when I realized he had decided to stop posting here.

RIP SW   
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

Larry Ashcraft

• Administrator
« Reply #37 on: January 29, 2014, 08:12:19 PM »
Dick, thank you.  I first met James at the first THR Colorado Get Together in 2004.  We became good friends over the years, even though there were sometimes a year or more between visits.

James was a loner, by choice.  He was also a very talented photographer, artist, and writer.  He was a bullseye shooter who prized fine firearms, particularly Colt Pythons.  Every one of his guns was a shooter, no safe queens.  I personally know of one unfired snub Python from the 70s that he bought, and then immediately sent it off for Magnaporting and trigger work.  He didn't believe I owning a handgun that wasn't set up his own particular way for shooting.

If you are back in contact with his family let them know he was a highly regarded member here by most of us; especially those of us that were here from the beginning and were familiar with each other from other boards.

James' only family were his sister Susan, a younger brother John, and an elderly aunt.  Susan is the one I've been in contact with.  I've made her aware of the many online friends that he had.
jstillwater.com
Network Solutions
jstillwater.com expired on 01/26/2014 and is pending renewal or deletion.

That's too bad.  His website was a treasure of artwork and prose (In fact, the picture on the linear reflections site is his own, entitled "Self Portrait").  If someone has a way of retrieving a archived copy of it, I would appreciate it.  I do own several of his prints, and I have a digital copy of the "Great American Novel" he finished a couple of years ago, though I haven't read much of it yet.  (It's actually a LARGE collection of his prose, not a novel at all.)
« Last Edit: January 29, 2014, 08:15:24 PM by Larry Ashcraft »

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #38 on: January 29, 2014, 08:16:39 PM »
Larry, you might try the Wayback Machine to see if anything was archived:

http://archive.org/web/
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Larry Ashcraft

• Administrator
« Reply #39 on: January 29, 2014, 08:23:51 PM »
No joy Ben.  I may not be doing it right though.

His website was jstillwater.com.  IF it can be renewed and brought back, I would gladly pay the domain fee.

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #40 on: January 29, 2014, 09:54:31 PM »
« Last Edit: January 29, 2014, 10:01:06 PM by lee n. field »
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

Sergeant Bob

• friend
« Reply #41 on: January 29, 2014, 10:10:17 PM »
Redacted so as to not ruin the nature of this thread. Sorry, I was out of line. :'(
« Last Edit: January 30, 2014, 09:34:54 AM by Sergeant Bob »
Personally, I do not understand how a bunch of people demanding a bigger govt can call themselves anarchist.
I meet lots of folks like this, claim to be anarchist but really they're just liberals with pierced genitals. - gunsmith

I already have canned butter, buying more. Canned blueberries, some pancake making dry goods and the end of the world is gonna be delicious.  -French G

Northwoods

• friend
  • Formerly sumpnz
« Reply #42 on: January 29, 2014, 10:24:56 PM »
Standing Wolf was basically driven away from APS. I hope those who drove him away sleep well at night. He didn't say much, but when he did, he didn't frak around.

IIRC he had about a bazillion posts that said little more than "It's Bush's Fault".  And after being asking nicely, several times, to cut it out he had a bunch of posts edited/deleted.  Got his knickers in a twist over that and took off.  Not saying that was the right/mature reaction on either side, but it's what happened.  Just too bad that we lost his perspective as, aside from the "It's Bush's fault" posts, he had a lot of good input here.
Formerly sumpnz

Larry Ashcraft

• Administrator
« Reply #43 on: January 29, 2014, 10:44:38 PM »
Lee, thank you. I'll find a way to archive that myself.

Got his knickers in a twist over that and took off.

Like any artist, James didn't like his creations edited, no matter now small they were.

But, let's get away from that, and remember the man himself.

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
Re: Re: Standing Wolf
« Reply #44 on: January 29, 2014, 11:24:17 PM »
Yep i recall the very juvenile editing of his posts by aps ptb.  Not a shining hour of glory.

I figure he blamed gwb fewer times than bho did.  But he was wrong about that police state business it seems given what we all learned in 2013.  ;)
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

DustinD

• I have a title
  • friends
  • I have a personal text message
« Reply #45 on: January 30, 2014, 03:50:42 PM »

searching archive.org for http://jstillwater.com and similar is getting a few hits.
"I don't always shoot defenceless women in the face, but when I do, I prefer H-S Precision.

Stay bloodthirsty, my friends."

- Lon Horiuchi

sm

• friend
« Reply #46 on: February 02, 2014, 02:05:35 PM »
RIP James my friend.
I will always treasure your sharing both in public, and those times we spent in private.

We are diminished.