Author Topic: New Hampshire Meter Feeders  (Read 4471 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
New Hampshire Meter Feeders
« on: October 27, 2014, 11:27:33 PM »
I actually thought this was a pretty cool form of protest. A group in the city of Keene, NH goes around and puts their own money into expired parking meters so the city can't collect a parking fine from the vehicle's owner.

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2014/10/27/no-quarter-nh-city-wants-robin-hood-meter-feeders-kept-away-from-parking/
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
Re: New Hampshire Meter Feeders
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2014, 11:44:17 PM »
Will they be able to do it this time without being molested and threatened with arrest?

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

TechMan

• Administrator
  • Yes, your moderation has been outsourced.
New Hampshire Meter Feeders
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2014, 12:23:20 AM »
That was tried here in Cincinnati, some grandmother was using her own money to feed people's meters and she got arrested by a police officer.
Hawkmoon - Never underestimate another person's capacity for stupidity. Any time you think someone can't possibly be that dumb ... they'll prove you wrong.

Bacon and Eggs - A day's work for a chicken; A lifetime commitment for a pig.
Stupidity will always be its own reward.
Bad decisions make good stories.

Viking - The problem with the modern world is that there aren't really any predators eating stupid people.

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2014, 06:10:03 AM »
Will they be able to do it this time without being molested and threatened with arrest?

They've been sued twice by the city, second suit still underway.  City claims they are harassing the meter tenders.  It's really about revenue, of course.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

brimic

• friends
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2014, 06:55:38 AM »
They've been sued twice by the city, second suit still underway.  City claims they are harassing the meter tenders.  It's really about revenue, of course.

Lawsuits?
Time to put on the Angle Grinder Man leotard

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/3112670.stm
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2014, 10:59:01 AM »
I don't agree with the hassling the meter maids part if true (regardless of what I might think about that particular job). Otherwise, I considered this an excellent example of "victimless crime". I'm curious as to the exact statutes that are used in these cases. These people are using their own money, and by feeding the meter, are giving the government money - just not as much money as some localities would like for "revenue enhancement".

It really boggles my mind that this is considered criminal behavior.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

brimic

• friends
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2014, 11:01:38 AM »
I don't agree with the hassling the meter maids part if true (regardless of what I might think about that particular job).

Not sure about that particular city, but much of the time, the meter maids aren't government workers, but are private companies that do the dirty work for the city. Hassle away!

Barack Obama

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2014, 11:07:19 AM »
I think some town passed an ordinance against meter feeders. It passed by making it a crime for anyone to feed a meter. You were allowed to park for x time but then had to move car rather than keep,feeding em

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

brimic

• friends
« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2014, 11:13:22 AM »
I think some town passed an ordinance against meter feeders. It passed by making it a crime for anyone to feed a meter. You were allowed to park for x time but then had to move car rather than keep,feeding em

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

That's a pretty handy law.
The meter maids can and will write you a ticket any time they want- at will.
There is no way you can prove you didn't drop another quarter in the machine, and the kangaroo court is always going to side with parking collections.

Barack Obama

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2014, 11:24:51 AM »
In the town where my Mom lives, the meter guy (he's ticket writer, meter maintenance, and a few other things all rolled into one) carried around a pocket full of his own dimes to feed the meters for people the week before Christmas through New Year's Day.

He's retired now that his knees have finally given out, but I defy you or anyone else to call him a meter maid. He joined the Marine Corps at 17 just in time to go to Korea, and made a career out of being a Marine, visiting interesting places, and killing the inhabitants.

He's one hell of a nice guy on the surface, but is one of those people whose eyes never stop registering you as a potential threat.

"It's really about revenue, of course."

Everything is always about revenue. The accusation is tossed around as if it's some kind of evil plot/cabal. Maybe to these f*expletive deleted*tards it is.

Remove the meters and parking restrictions and let people park all day every day and you soon have the businesses bitching because there's no parking for their customers and their revenue is going down.

Raise taxes to cover the cost of new parking lots, and people bitch about their personal revenue going down, and eventually that circles back on the businesses and the town...

One look at the clowns in this picture, though, and the location of where this is happening, tells me all I need to know. They're of the "Government should provide everything to everyone for free!" coalition. Loonytoons who need a face full a pepper spray, a boot in the ass, and a flashlight upside the skull to demonstrate how the world REALLY works.

I forget where it was, but some years ago a small city, the businesses in the downtown core, and local residents/business employees/patrons got into some huge dustup over parking regulations and enforcement.

The city responded by making every street in the downtown core no parking.

It eventually sorted itself out, but the number of lawsuits that were filed was apparently pretty staggering.

Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

TechMan

• Administrator
  • Yes, your moderation has been outsourced.
« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2014, 11:24:57 AM »
The meter feeding granny here in Cincinnati got Obstructing Official Business charge.
http://news.google.com/newspapers?nid=1454&dat=19961106&id=sd1QAAAAIBAJ&sjid=MxUEAAAAIBAJ&pg=4922,2178687
Hawkmoon - Never underestimate another person's capacity for stupidity. Any time you think someone can't possibly be that dumb ... they'll prove you wrong.

Bacon and Eggs - A day's work for a chicken; A lifetime commitment for a pig.
Stupidity will always be its own reward.
Bad decisions make good stories.

Viking - The problem with the modern world is that there aren't really any predators eating stupid people.

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #11 on: October 28, 2014, 11:29:01 AM »
Remove the meters and parking restrictions and let people park all day every day and you soon have the businesses bitching because there's no parking for their customers and their revenue is going down.

Then put them in everywhere.  Residential streets too.

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #12 on: October 28, 2014, 11:31:09 AM »
Feeding a meter is no crime as people are only helped, not hurt.  It doesn't even rate as a "victimless" crime. 

Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

41magsnub

• friend
  • Don't make me assume my ultimate form!
« Reply #13 on: October 28, 2014, 11:34:13 AM »
Here in Missoula we briefly had the credit card meters as a trial.  Except the city didn't plan it very well, someone would pay $.25 for parking and city would get dinged $.50 in CC fees.  Plus the meters were constantly be breaking.  They are gone now.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #14 on: October 28, 2014, 11:34:18 AM »
Then put them in everywhere.  Residential streets too.

Why?

You can tax the residents to increase revenue (OH GOD THAT WORD!!!) without the expense of maintaining meters.

The number of non residents who park in residential zones is likely far smaller than the number of visitors who park in business districts. The meter, in effect, amounts to a use tax.

Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #15 on: October 28, 2014, 11:41:25 AM »

Remove the meters and put up "90 minute only" parking signs. People can still play the "erase the chalk mark and move the car" game but it's much more inconvenient than a quick run out front to drop coins in the meters.

I totally get businesses in dense downtown areas wanting parking for their customers instead of having the kids working at the McDonalds next door parking at the meters all day so they don't have to walk a block from a public parking lot. It's what worked in my city's downtown.  The businesses get temporary parking for their customers, and the city still gets fifty bucks a pop for parking tickets, which they have someone practically standing right there to give out at 91 minutes.

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #16 on: October 28, 2014, 11:43:57 AM »
Why?

You can tax the residents to increase revenue (OH GOD THAT WORD!!!) without the expense of maintaining meters.

The number of non residents who park in residential zones is likely far smaller than the number of visitors who park in business districts. The meter, in effect, amounts to a use tax.

Why should the residents get free parking in front of their homes?  They're not paying any more to maintain that street than the one in front of city hall.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #17 on: October 28, 2014, 11:46:00 AM »
"Remove the meters and put up "90 minute only" parking signs."

Gigglesnort!

A significant number of people don't feed the meters already. What makes you think that they'll obey an honor sign?

People, for the most part, have no honor.

Personally, I'd rather see a system where your car receives warnings. On the third warning your car is automatically crushed. When you come out to retrieve your now crushed car, you're zapped with 20 million volts.

I'd pay good money to see that street theater.

brimic

• friends
« Reply #18 on: October 28, 2014, 11:47:59 AM »
In the town where my Mom lives, the meter guy (he's ticket writer, meter maintenance, and a few other things all rolled into one) carried around a pocket full of his own dimes to feed the meters for people the week before Christmas through New Year's Day.

He's retired now that his knees have finally given out, but I defy you or anyone else to call him a meter maid. He joined the Marine Corps at 17 just in time to go to Korea, and made a career out of being a Marine, visiting interesting places, and killing the inhabitants.

He's one hell of a nice guy on the surface, but is one of those people whose eyes never stop registering you as a potential threat.

I'm sure the Soviets had tens of thousands of veterans that were 'one hell of a nice guy' that did similar worthless jobs for 'The Party.'

Ever eat a restaurant and the only parking within a mile is metered for 60 minutes?
Yeah, that's a real effing boon to  the local businesses.

Barack Obama

brimic

• friends
« Reply #19 on: October 28, 2014, 11:49:21 AM »
"Remove the meters and put up "90 minute only" parking signs."

Gigglesnort!

A significant number of people don't feed the meters already. What makes you think that they'll obey an honor sign?

People, for the most part, have no honor.

Personally, I'd rather see a system where your car receives warnings. On the third warning your car is automatically crushed. When you come out to retrieve your now crushed car, you're zapped with 20 million volts.

I'd pay good money to see that street theater.

Well its easy to see where you stand- overbearing, all powerful government >>>>>private property.

Barack Obama

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #20 on: October 28, 2014, 11:49:41 AM »
Why should the residents get free parking in front of their homes?  They're not paying any more to maintain that street than the one in front of city hall.

Wow. Have you ever heard of property taxes?

It's money charged to the owners of property within designated municipal zones, such as a town or city.

That tax revenue (OMG THAT WORD!) is used to fund various and sundry governmental activities, such as... street maintenance.

Residents have already paid for their parking. They pay for parking whether they use it or not. They even pay for parking if they have their own off-street parking.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #21 on: October 28, 2014, 11:53:14 AM »
Well its easy to see where you stand- overbearing, all powerful government >>>>>private property.

Yeah, I'm a big statist. Actually, I'm more an anti-fucktardist, and its evident who they are...

Exactly where is the private property in this equation?

The streets and sidewalks are NOT private property.

brimic

• friends
« Reply #22 on: October 28, 2014, 11:55:25 AM »
Yeah, I'm a big statist. Actually, I'm more an anti-fucktardist, and its evident who they are...

Exactly where is the private property in this equation?

The streets and sidewalks are NOT private property.

The vehicles you want crushed, not to mention the people you want zapped. fucktardist indeed.

Barack Obama

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #23 on: October 28, 2014, 11:55:40 AM »
I'm sure the Soviets had tens of thousands of veterans that were 'one hell of a nice guy' that did similar worthless jobs for 'The Party.'

Ever eat a restaurant and the only parking within a mile is metered for 60 minutes?
Yeah, that's a real effing boon to  the local businesses.

Well you might be all sad and pouty because you had to walk for your chicken and dumplings, but your tragic story is likely more than balanced out by numerous others who are patronizing the same establishment and who found parking right out front or around the corner.

See, life IS fair in a very generalized way.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #24 on: October 28, 2014, 11:57:01 AM »
The vehicles you want crushed, not to mention the people you want zapped. fucktardist indeed.

Are you actually that dense that you don't recognize obvious sarcasm?

Really?

Tell me, Sheldon, how's dark matter research coming now that you've abandoned string theory?