Author Topic: New Hampshire Meter Feeders  (Read 4472 times)

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
Re: New Hampshire Meter Feeders
« Reply #25 on: October 28, 2014, 12:39:38 PM »
Wow. Have you ever heard of property taxes?
That tax revenue (OMG THAT WORD!) is used to fund various and sundry governmental activities, such as... street maintenance.

Including the streets downtown.  Why, then, is a user fee OK for one street the users have already paid for but not for another?

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #26 on: October 28, 2014, 12:51:37 PM »
Coming to a town near you. Robocop
http://seattletimes.com/html/localnews/2009364600_parkingstory21.html

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

• friends
« Reply #27 on: October 28, 2014, 12:55:38 PM »
I can see how certain folks here identify with this
Here they are
 http://keene.granicus.com/MediaPlayer.php?view_id=3&clip_id=818

It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #28 on: October 28, 2014, 12:56:37 PM »
Couple of years ago when I came out of the barber shop, cop was writing a ticket for the expired meter. I told him "Hey, give a guy a break I was only here for a haircut."

Cop kept writing.

"Dude, don't be a jackass, it's only expired for a couple of minutes."

Cop frowned at me and wrote up another ticket, this one for "parked too far from curb."

"Now I know why people call you PIGS. You really reek, you statist PIG."

Cop wrote up two more tickets (expired tag, expired inspection sticker) and put them on the windshield, too.

Having had enough of that, I walked around the corner to where MY car was parked and left the cop still writing up the car that had the "OBAMA 2012" sticker on it.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

• friends
« Reply #29 on: October 28, 2014, 12:57:50 PM »
In va I think they would get jacked for stalking
If someone didn't just jack em face to face

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #30 on: October 28, 2014, 03:48:29 PM »
"Remove the meters and put up "90 minute only" parking signs."

Gigglesnort!

A significant number of people don't feed the meters already. What makes you think that they'll obey an honor sign?

Works better than meters where I live. Both the city and the populace seem to like them better than coin meters, other than at the big public lots, which have all gone to self-serve credit card machines for parking.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #31 on: October 28, 2014, 06:15:35 PM »
Including the streets downtown.  Why, then, is a user fee OK for one street the users have already paid for but not for another?

Obviously the nature of use of a residential area is different from a commercial area. Commercial areas draw people from the outside who are not residents of the community. So what you're saying is that they should get a free pass to use the community's services, and the residents should foot the bill 100%?

Yeah, who cares if their taxes go up to support the outlanders.

Nice.

Maybe they should get everything for free when in the community, such as gasoline, food, and products and services? After all, they're gracing the town with their very presence.

Extra nice.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #32 on: October 28, 2014, 06:17:35 PM »
Works better than meters where I live. Both the city and the populace seem to like them better than coin meters, other than at the big public lots, which have all gone to self-serve credit card machines for parking.

Not sure where you live, but do you really think a program like that would work in Philadelphia? New York City? Boston?

Around here businesses with off-street parking have to tow cars on a regular basis because of freeloaders parking all day and trying to avoid parking in metered spots or in garages.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #33 on: October 28, 2014, 07:03:33 PM »
Seems to me that feeding the meters is still giving revenue to the city. 

With digital cameras cheap, setting up a ticket system which has the Meter Maid taking a photo of the car and expired meter would at least theoretically provide proof like a traffic camera. 

As far as statism, I am far, far, far, less concerned about overbearing local govt than my state or the Feds.  I can fix the first by just moving a few miles or shopping somewhere else.  The others can't be avoided so easily. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #34 on: October 28, 2014, 07:11:57 PM »
Somebody got up on the wrong side of the bed this morning =D
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #35 on: October 28, 2014, 07:16:34 PM »
Will they be able to do it this time without being molested and threatened with arrest?

Quote from: adively
That was tried here in Cincinnati, some grandmother was using her own money to feed people's meters and she got arrested by a police officer.

Same question for both: On what charge? Is there any law prohibiting putting money in a parking meter?
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

brimic

• friends
« Reply #36 on: October 28, 2014, 07:28:47 PM »
Well you might be all sad and pouty because you had to walk for your chicken and dumplings, but your tragic story is likely more than balanced out by numerous others who are patronizing the same establishment and who found parking right out front or around the corner.

See, life IS fair in a very generalized way.

Well sure that will work if you plan to take clients, dates, and visitors out to taco bell or burger king to eat. It isn't a big stretch to say that if you don't grease the proper palms, parking meters with short limits will start popping up around your business like poisonous mushrooms.

All levels of government from federal all the way down to the alderman or  hoa are magnets for petty tyrants.

Its interesting that the areas or communuties that are most notorious with the parking fine racket are generally the ones who are loosest with spending taxes on worthless social programs to buy the FSA votes. Coincidence?
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #37 on: October 28, 2014, 07:38:58 PM »
Obviously the nature of use of a residential area is different from a commercial area. Commercial areas draw people from the outside who are not residents of the community. So what you're saying is that they should get a free pass to use the community's services, and the residents should foot the bill 100%?

Considering the only place we ever had them was around the courthouse and city hall, I'm pretty sure 90% of the people having to feed them were residents.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #38 on: October 28, 2014, 09:08:19 PM »
Not sure where you live, but do you really think a program like that would work in Philadelphia? New York City? Boston?

Around here businesses with off-street parking have to tow cars on a regular basis because of freeloaders parking all day and trying to avoid parking in metered spots or in garages.

I live in a tourist city, and there's not a coin meter to be seen anywhere. As much as I complain about the commies here, they do manage to have well placed public lots and multi-story structures that pretty much eliminate problems because you have to go through a gate, and you get the first 75 or 90 minutes free. After that, they just start charging you a normal parking rate vs giving you a $50 ticket when you've exceeded your free time. Otherwise, a good portion of the tourist section streets are either "no parking" or free if you can find a spot.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #39 on: October 28, 2014, 09:41:47 PM »

I think I know somebody like that... >:D I had to give him a ride to the impound lot...which he knew exactly where it was...because he was a repeat customer...he even knew the tow truck driver :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #40 on: October 28, 2014, 09:45:41 PM »
When I was a youngster of single-digit age, the adjacent small town where we shopped (my town had no stores at all) had parking meters on all two of the primary streets. Merchants were unhappy when people got tickets for expired meters. So the police department started carry extra nickels on patrol. If a beat cop (they still had those, back then) saw an expired meter, instead of writing a ticket he just put a nickel in the meter. Very civilized.

Somewhere in time between then and now, they went one step beyond -- now they just don't have meters.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2014, 07:34:52 AM by Hawkmoon »
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

lupinus

• Southern Mod Trimutive Emeritus
  • friends
« Reply #41 on: October 28, 2014, 09:49:41 PM »
I think I know somebody like that... >:D I had to give him a ride to the impound lot...which he knew exactly where it was...because he was a repeat customer...he even knew the tow truck driver :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

And then said somebody drove directly from the impound lot to...a different posted lot.
That is all. *expletive deleted*ck you all, eat *expletive deleted*it, and die in a fire. I have considered writing here a long parting section dedicated to each poster, but I have decided, at length, against it. *expletive deleted*ck you all and Hail Satan.

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #42 on: October 28, 2014, 10:01:39 PM »
Meters can serve a good purpose in regulating use of a limited resource as Mike points out, although these meter feeders are unlikely to have any real impact on that.  If their meter feeding gets to the point where people take advantage of their service too much (i.e., putting a quarter in the meter and parking all day), they will be unable or unwilling to continue.  Otherwise people will continue to behave as they would without the meter feeders.  People helping others avoid an expensive ticket by catching expired meters simply don't figure in any significant way in to the scarcity argument.

Whatever their political leanings, it is stupid that governments would want to punish them.

• friends
« Reply #43 on: October 28, 2014, 10:08:25 PM »
You watch the video of them in action?

brimic

• friends
« Reply #44 on: October 28, 2014, 10:56:10 PM »

One of the nearby cities that comes to mind  for bad examples, charges impound fees on victims of car theft. One of my coworkers had his $100 beater stolen, the cops found it later and charged him over $300 in towing and impound fees.
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #45 on: October 28, 2014, 11:51:50 PM »
You watch the video of them in action?
The one in the original article?  Yes.

• friends
« Reply #46 on: October 29, 2014, 12:08:40 AM »
Try this one
http://keene.granicus.com/MediaPlayer.php?view_id=3&clip_id=818

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD