Author Topic: Just Call Me Mr Beer  (Read 9266 times)

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
Re: Just Call Me Mr Beer
« Reply #25 on: January 12, 2015, 02:35:41 PM »
Lower fermenting temps would produce less esthers and phenolics, which would lend that clovey flavour you're referring to.
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #26 on: January 12, 2015, 03:08:19 PM »
Damn you remind me I bought the ingredients awhile back to brew up a batch of beer and never got around to it. :facepalm:
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #27 on: January 25, 2015, 02:45:12 PM »
Well, I just popped open the first bottle of the wheat beer. I'm calling it a (qualified) success! :)

While it's not a "Holy crap, I'm giving up on commercial beers forever" success, it turned out to be a quite drinkable beer. While not the taste of a premium German hefeweizen, if I had to identify it, I would say that it's a taste between Blue Moon and Erdinger (both beers I enjoy).

I didn't get the overly fruity flavor I was afraid of when I tasted the wort, so it looks like my fermenting temps stayed in the range I hoped for. Alcohol content seems low (which I was hoping for with this beer). I didn't spend the $15 on a hydrometer until after I'd already started fermenting, so ABV is just a guess. Also,  I didn't give this bottle a full two weeks in the fridge - more like 4 days (I was on the two weeks fermenting, two weeks lagering at fermenting temp, two weeks in the fridge schedule) because I couldn't wait any longer. :)  I'm letting the other bottles sit in the fridge longer and as I go through them I'll see if there's a flavor change.

Otherwise though, I'm pretty happy with my beginner's success and that I didn't have to dump the whole batch out.  :laugh:  I think on the next round of wheat, I'll use their "deluxe" pack instead of the standard. The deluxe one comes with an extra LME packet which is supposed to add a bit of maltiness to it.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #28 on: January 25, 2015, 04:23:05 PM »
Yesterday I bottled my first brew in over ten years.  (Belgian dubbel; still tasted kind of sweet, but that might have just been all the alcohol plus not much hops bitterness and no carbonation yet.)  I have a batch of ESB that is also ready to bottle and I might get to it today.

I'm about three beers behind in my brewing plans.  Life keeps interrupting my Saturdays.  :(

The 3 gallons of lemon wine disappeared really fast.  So did the gallon of very alcoholic crabapple wine.  And the quart of even-more alcoholic rice wine.  And...

"It's good, though..."

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #29 on: January 25, 2015, 08:46:08 PM »
Well, I just popped open the first bottle of the wheat beer. I'm calling it a (qualified) success! :)

While it's not a "Holy crap, I'm giving up on commercial beers forever" success, it turned out to be a quite drinkable beer. While not the taste of a premium German hefeweizen, if I had to identify it, I would say that it's a taste between Blue Moon and Erdinger (both beers I enjoy).

I didn't get the overly fruity flavor I was afraid of when I tasted the wort, so it looks like my fermenting temps stayed in the range I hoped for. Alcohol content seems low (which I was hoping for with this beer). I didn't spend the $15 on a hydrometer until after I'd already started fermenting, so ABV is just a guess. Also,  I didn't give this bottle a full two weeks in the fridge - more like 4 days (I was on the two weeks fermenting, two weeks lagering at fermenting temp, two weeks in the fridge schedule) because I couldn't wait any longer. :)  I'm letting the other bottles sit in the fridge longer and as I go through them I'll see if there's a flavor change.

Otherwise though, I'm pretty happy with my beginner's success and that I didn't have to dump the whole batch out.  :laugh:  I think on the next round of wheat, I'll use their "deluxe" pack instead of the standard. The deluxe one comes with an extra LME packet which is supposed to add a bit of maltiness to it.

Don't drink it all while its green. It actually gets much better after a few weeks and more.
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #30 on: January 25, 2015, 09:58:41 PM »
Don't drink it all while its green. It actually gets much better after a few weeks and more.

I'm hoping to learn more patience after this first batch.  :laugh:

I actually only stuck two in the fridge early. The other ten are are just going in now and will sit there for a couple of weeks (well, most of them anyways).
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #31 on: January 25, 2015, 10:35:20 PM »
I'm hoping to learn more patience after this first batch.  :laugh:

I actually only stuck two in the fridge early. The other ten are are just going in now and will sit there for a couple of weeks (well, most of them anyways).

Thanks Ben, we'll all drop by on the 14th for beers at your place.   =D =D =D
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #32 on: January 25, 2015, 10:38:36 PM »
Thanks Ben, we'll all drop by on the 14th for beers at your place.   =D =D =D

I'd better get a bigger fermenter...  :laugh:

freakazoid

• friend
« Reply #33 on: January 26, 2015, 09:18:57 AM »

Loves me some Blue Moon, never heard of Erdinger.
On the topic of making your own stuff, there was a thread some time ago where walnuts, I'm pretty sure, where used. Anybody remember what that was?
"so I ended up getting the above because I didn't want to make a whole production of sticking something between my knees and cranking. To me, the cranking on mine is pretty effortless, at least on the coarse setting. Maybe if someone has arthritis or something, it would be more difficult for them." - Ben

"I see a rager at least once a week." - brimic

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #34 on: January 26, 2015, 09:37:08 AM »
I'm hoping to learn more patience after this first batch.

You have to drink one green.  It's like the "worst beer" ritual at any gathering of homebrewers; that one has to be passed around to everybody.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #35 on: January 26, 2015, 09:47:13 AM »
I'd better get a bigger fermenter...  :laugh:

Ok, Let me know when the new batch is ready to go, I'll bring the Wisconsin crew also.

10-12 gallons per day should be enough for the 5 of us.
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #36 on: January 26, 2015, 09:49:48 AM »
On the topic of making your own stuff, there was a thread some time ago where walnuts, I'm pretty sure, where used. Anybody remember what that was?

Tasty stuff if you like hefeweizen.

Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #37 on: January 26, 2015, 10:05:49 AM »
Ok, Let me know when the new batch is ready to go, I'll bring the Wisconsin crew also.

10-12 gallons per day should be enough for the 5 of us.

Yeah, I'd better skip the home fermenter and just buy one of the local brewpubs if you lot are coming out...
 :laugh:

Balog

• friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #38 on: January 26, 2015, 10:12:57 AM »

I think that was AJ Dual soaking walnuts in liquor.

If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #39 on: January 26, 2015, 12:38:22 PM »
I think that was AJ Dual soaking walnuts in liquor.

I thought that was G98 doing that.  It might have been both.  I want to try that also.

As a side note the bottled beers shipped from Germany lose a lot in the shipping process.  They come over on non-temp controlled containers, so they are subjected to about two weeks of of whatever the temps are.  Plus if it is in the warmer months, then those boxes get damn hot. 

We used to do quite a few of them.  Mostly British ones, and generally bottles and kegs.  Bass, Brown something, and few other I disremember.  I do remember that they would not ship in the dead of winter for fear of freezing and exploding (we did have that happen a few times anyway, and lots coming over in summer with it was 90F+ outside and 120F+ in the containers. 

That couldn't be good for them.
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #40 on: January 26, 2015, 01:07:57 PM »

As a side note the bottled beers shipped from Germany lose a lot in the shipping process.  They come over on non-temp controlled containers, so they are subjected to about two weeks of of whatever the temps are.  Plus if it is in the warmer months, then those boxes get damn hot. 

We used to do quite a few of them.  Mostly British ones, and generally bottles and kegs.  Bass, Brown something, and few other I disremember.  I do remember that they would not ship in the dead of winter for fear of freezing and exploding (we did have that happen a few times anyway, and lots coming over in summer with it was 90F+ outside and 120F+ in the containers. 

That couldn't be good for them.

Such the reason a lot of you European brewers are buying up US brewers or at least teaming up with them so they can brew their products here.  Save on shipping costs along with the brews being fresher.
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #41 on: January 26, 2015, 02:02:43 PM »

I've definitely seen that. I've had a few stinker bottles in Summer / Early Fall. Drinkable, but you could tell something was "off".

I've in the last half year discovered Weihenstephaner being sold in the US (thanks Bevmo!), and while $1/bottle more than Erdinger and Franziskaner, is really great tasting and I've never had a bad bottle. I have to wonder if part of the higher price is more quality control on the shipping?

Balog

• friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #42 on: January 26, 2015, 02:59:18 PM »
I've definitely seen that. I've had a few stinker bottles in Summer / Early Fall. Drinkable, but you could tell something was "off".

I've in the last half year discovered Weihenstephaner being sold in the US (thanks Bevmo!), and while $1/bottle more than Erdinger and Franziskaner, is really great tasting and I've never had a bad bottle. I have to wonder if part of the higher price is more quality control on the shipping?

Some import beers are noticeably better on the East coast as well.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #43 on: April 06, 2015, 11:51:32 PM »
Necro.

After three weeks fermenting, a month and a half of lagering, and two weeks in the fridge, I tried my latest wheat batch. I can finally say I made something better than I can buy. It came out REALLY tasty. I used the Safbrew WB-06 yeast with this batch, which let me ferment at lower temps than the standard Mr Beer yeast. Also I think this yeast adds a bit of a better taste when poured into the glass than the standard yeast. Anyway, super happy with the results. I actually only stuck half the bottles in the fridge two weeks ago. I'm now going to add the rest, with two extra lagering weeks under their belt, to the fridge.

I currently have a Heavy McWee lagering for three months, at which point I'll be into Summer and too warm of temps for lagering most beers. I'm using a staircase closet that generally stays in the low-mid 60s, but July-September, will reach the low 70s. So I'm gonna do one more batch of this tasty wheat, then in the Summer, stick to the American Light with the standard yeast, which can both ferment and lager in the warmer temps. Plus that one tastes good after just a few weeks of lagering, so it can spend the rest of its time in the fridge. :)

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #44 on: April 07, 2015, 12:08:45 AM »
I'm finally drinking the Belgian dubbel that I brewed at the end of last November.  (I bottled it in January, but the yeast went dormant before it was carbonated because the house was cold while we were in Hawaii)  I've decided that I don't really like Belgian beers all that much (too banana-y).  But it stronk; slight buzz from drinking one 11 oz. bottle -- after I'd been dry for almost 2 months for Lent.

The English "special bitter" that I brewed around Christmas is a lot better, even tho' it's not nearly as alcoholic.

Next beer will be a pre-Prohibition cream ale:  85% pale ale malt, 15% corn (Aldi's cornflakes breakfast cereal), 30 IBU's of Cluster hops, and US-05 or Nottingham yeast.  Should be a good lawnmower beer if I don't screw it up.
"It's good, though..."

just Warren

• friend
  • My DJ name is Heavy Cream.
« Reply #45 on: January 13, 2016, 03:20:19 AM »
I raise this thread from the Great Beyond to introduce to you the Picobrew.

For only $2000 you can have a machine that does 99% of the work for you. And creates a batch of beer in days instead of weeks.

Saw this on a business news program out of Africa, don't know why I never saw it mentioned anywhere else.

It's only a matter of time until someone automates the creating of more potent substances.
Member in Good Standing of the Spontaneous Order of the Invisible Hand.

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #46 on: January 13, 2016, 08:55:53 AM »
It is a smaller and more 'plug and play' version of the Zymatic.  I have been to the Seattle store/factory where these are made, and it is pretty interesting. 

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.