Author Topic: My very first gun  (Read 906 times)

Stand_watie

• friend
My very first gun
« on: September 03, 2006, 09:10:20 PM »
Three weeks ago I went to my parents house in Michigan to retrieve my daughter from her summer visit with Gram and Gramps, and spotted on the wall of my old bedroom, in a rack that I had built (as a teenager) alongside my dad's rifle and shotgun, my very first gun. Actually, it was my first partial gun as my older brother and I went in on it, when we spotted it at a yard sale, and dad said "ok". As I recollect, I gave about 20 bucks and my brother 25. Anyway it's his now, as he bought out my share of it many years ago, but  he has little interest in guns anymore...so I asked him if he'd like to swap it to me for a little bit newer and nicer, but much less sentimental .22 rifle that I currently own and he said 'sure'.

So here it is. It's a single shot, lever action, blonde hardwood with a checkered grip, Sears/Roebuck branded "Ted Williams" (probably actually made by Winchester). Irony  is that they put a baseball greats name on it to sell it circa 1965, but it would be worth a lot more today if they'd simply put the Winchester name on it.

Anyway, I'm not much interested in actual cash value as it's a good shooter, just the right size for Erica, and one of my first 'heirlooms' in the sense that Erica only gets to keep it it she'll promise me to pass it along to another family member who will cherish it. If she won't, it will go to a niece or nephew, great niece or nephew, 3rd cousin or grandchild.

Yizkor. Lo Od Pa'am

"You can have my gun when you pry it from my cold dead fingers"

"Never again"

"Malone Labe"

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
My very first gun
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2006, 09:16:54 PM »
Isn't getting your first gun back great? When my father passed away, I went through the closets and found my old Winchester Model 67A in the back of one.

I used to carry that thing all over town on the way to shoot rabbits and squirrels. I also took it with me every summer to Alabama when we visited the grandparents.

I have no idea of how many thousands of rounds have been put through that gun, but it is a lot. I used to walk the roads picking up coke bottles for the 2 cent deposit refund so I could buy ammo.

It is great getting your first gun back, and the memories it brings out.

bob

Stand_watie

• friend
My very first gun
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2006, 10:27:32 PM »
Quote from: BobR
Isn't getting your first gun back great? When my father passed away, I went through the closets and found my old Winchester Model 67A in the back of one.

I used to carry that thing all over town on the way to shoot rabbits and squirrels. I also took it with me every summer to Alabama when we visited the grandparents.

I have no idea of how many thousands of rounds have been put through that gun, but it is a lot. I used to walk the roads picking up coke bottles for the 2 cent deposit refund so I could buy ammo.

It is great getting your first gun back, and the memories it brings out.

bob
How old are you Bob? I'm 36 now, and my dad 67. You're post gives me a pause that I don't have all that long before I have to deal with that too. I just emailed him. He was only 29 when my grampa passed away, and I wasn't even born yet. He, and his next younger brother and some of the deacons from their church dug my grampas grave on Christmas eve, 1968.

*maudlin sentimentality alert !*

I'm about crying now thinking about having to deal with that. Ok. I'm emailing him back right now to tell him I love him.
Yizkor. Lo Od Pa'am

"You can have my gun when you pry it from my cold dead fingers"

"Never again"

"Malone Labe"

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
My very first gun
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2006, 10:49:04 PM »
I am 52, my father passed about 6 years ago, he was 83. He lived a long and good life. That is all anyone can ask, I suppose. And to be remembered when they are gone.

bob

Winston Smith

• friends
  • Cheaper than a locksmith
    • My Photography
My very first gun
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2006, 01:02:35 AM »
I have my grandfather's gerber(?) pocketknife and my father's 1972-era olympus OM-1... a journalism school graduation present from his father. I've taken photos that later got published with it. Practical heirlooms are kind of the best thing ever.
Jack
APS #22
I'm eighteen years old. I know everything and I'm invincible.
Right?

brimic

• friends
My very first gun
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2006, 05:02:35 PM »
Looks very similar to my first gun- mine was a Ithaca model 49, mine had the fake tubular magazine missing on it. My dad had picked up at a garage sale for around $20.
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

mustanger98

• friend
My very first gun
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2006, 06:19:09 PM »
I recently worked on an old Ithaca .410 that was made just like that one. No fake mag tube either.