Author Topic: Ben riots in Idaho!  (Read 1665 times)

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
Ben riots in Idaho!
« on: August 25, 2020, 08:28:52 AM »
https://apnews.com/2262f803692a574ec7ede04cc174397f

Angry conservatives smash their way into the Idaho statehouse!  I wonder why they were angry about proposed liability limits?

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Re: Ben riots in Idaho!
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2020, 08:52:50 AM »
Sounds like the glass breaking was accidental or negligent. The maskless crowd is actually a good representation of Idaho. Hardly anyone wears masks anywhere outside of Boise. When I visited two guns stores in Boise last week, the first one wouldn't let me in without a mask. When I went to the second one (my current first stop store), I walked in with a mask so I wouldn't get nagged, looked around, and saw one out of around twenty people with a mask. I took mine off and the counter guy told me they don't care either way if someone wears a mask or not, just don't tell them that they have to. That's pretty much the philosophy of most residents outside of Boise and probably Sun Valley.

On the liability thing, I think it's this:

https://apnews.com/2f77f75b84f8b38c6da8758c92d0bf22

Which, if I read it right, sounds like something that is also "the Idaho way", so I'm not sure why they were complaining about it. This is a pretty anti-litigious state.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2020, 09:50:20 AM »
He said he was more disappointed than surprised at the violence.
Wait, now smashing stuff is violence again?

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2020, 09:52:49 AM »
Sounds like the glass breaking was accidental or negligent. The maskless crowd is actually a good representation of Idaho. Hardly anyone wears masks anywhere outside of Boise. When I visited two guns stores in Boise last week, the first one wouldn't let me in without a mask. When I went to the second one (my current first stop store), I walked in with a mask so I wouldn't get nagged, looked around, and saw one out of around twenty people with a mask.

The 3 gun stores around here I've been since "the 'Rona" started, none have required masks.  At all, not even brought up.  In Ill-i-noise.   (GAT Guns in by Chicago, was pissy about it.  <sigh>)

In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2020, 10:08:03 AM »
The 3 gun stores around here I've been since "the 'Rona" started, none have required masks.  At all, not even brought up.  In Ill-i-noise.   (GAT Guns in by Chicago, was pissy about it.  <sigh>)

For me, the first store was Impact Guns, which is regional and the HQ is in Utah, so that might be why they were mask enforcers. My regular gun store is family owned and they moved here from Pharump, Nevada a couple of years ago because it was too blue for them there. I wouldn't be surprised if they were part of the crowd at the Capitol.  :laugh:
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2020, 10:34:30 AM »
So what was the liability limit part about? 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2020, 10:36:18 AM »
So what was the liability limit part about? 

See my post above. I think that's what it was about, though they also passed a law upping the minimum for auto liability insurance, so it might have been that too.

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2020, 10:43:08 AM »
^^^A lot of states have passed special COVID liability limit laws.  Most of them put limits on the ability to sue, or limits on the damages awarded, for liability claims related to COVID.  An example would be, a school reopens and students or faculty contract COVID, a patient dies because a hospital did not have enough ventilators, or your business closed down because of COVID restrictions.  Under these laws, you either cannot sue, or there are limits on damages, or there are limits on the statute of limitations (how long you have to sue).  I know that the plaintiff attorney bar hates these laws, but I am surprised that Joe Citizen would.

PS: changes to the liability laws were proposed in Washington; our governor, who used to do personal injury claims in the Yakima area, said he would veto any such laws.  Color me surprised on that.

PPS: As I devote some more thought to it, I wonder if the Idaho conservatives are riled up because the proposed liability law changes would essentially give the state government sovereign immunity for their COVID related decisions, such as shutting down businesses, mask requirements and the like.  I have not actually read the specifics of the proposed Idaho changes, but I wonder if that is part of it.

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2020, 01:07:58 PM »
CNN: Violent Fascist Trump Supporters Rampage in Idaho. Minorities In Fear
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2020, 01:44:13 PM »
PPS: As I devote some more thought to it, I wonder if the Idaho conservatives are riled up because the proposed liability law changes would essentially give the state government sovereign immunity for their COVID related decisions, such as shutting down businesses, mask requirements and the like.  I have not actually read the specifics of the proposed Idaho changes, but I wonder if that is part of it.

That would make sense. I wasn't aware the state gov would be immune. That would definitely rile conservatives here up (more), because they've been pretty pissed about all the lost business, closing of public places, etc., due to state.gov mandates.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2020, 07:30:09 PM »
In further reading, the liability bill apparently also includes suing businesses and other private entities if they don't follow things like local or state mask mandates. That would definitely rile up the group that protested at the Capitol.

https://www.npr.org/2020/08/25/905785548/unmasked-protesters-push-past-police-into-idaho-lawmakers-session

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
« Reply #11 on: August 25, 2020, 07:39:06 PM »
Wait, now smashing stuff is violence again?

Get with the program. Everything and everyone on the far right is violent, and blm/antifa are peaceful protesters.
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #12 on: August 25, 2020, 07:41:46 PM »
Having an opinion that not in total lockstep with the leftest narrative of the moment is violence now-a-days
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

just Warren

• friend
  • My DJ name is Heavy Cream.
« Reply #13 on: August 25, 2020, 07:49:10 PM »
Ben is the worst rioter I've ever heard of.
Member in Good Standing of the Spontaneous Order of the Invisible Hand.

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #14 on: August 25, 2020, 08:17:11 PM »

At the very least he could gotten us an autograph from Ammon Bundy.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #15 on: August 25, 2020, 08:22:00 PM »
At the very least he could gotten us an autograph from Ammon Bundy.

Next time I see him at the gun store. :)

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #17 on: August 25, 2020, 10:47:37 PM »

Yeah, he doesn't seem very good at it.  Robbed a single liquor store?  Or stolen a TV or pair of expensive Nikes?  Didn't think so...  ;)
"It's good, though..."

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #18 on: August 25, 2020, 11:56:18 PM »
Yeah, he doesn't seem very good at it.  Robbed a single liquor store?  Or stolen a TV or pair of expensive Nikes?  Didn't think so...  ;)

I threw a rock at a heron today. That's about as close to rioting as it gets out here.  :laugh:

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
« Reply #19 on: August 26, 2020, 12:19:27 AM »
Heron lives matter!
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #20 on: August 26, 2020, 06:45:58 AM »
I threw a rock at a heron today. That's about as close to rioting as it gets out here.  :laugh:

A blue heron?   :O

Why do you hate cops?  Back the Blue (herons).  :police:

Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #21 on: August 26, 2020, 08:22:57 AM »
A blue heron?   :O

Why do you hate cops?  Back the Blue (herons).  :police:

It was!   :laugh:

Little bastard blue dirty cop heron was extorting fish out of my pond.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #22 on: August 26, 2020, 08:53:47 AM »
On a side note, as I was searching news sites regarding the legislation and protest, pretty much every news site listed the protestors as a, "vocal minority". I found that hilarious. While certainly a couple of the group representations (e.g., anti-vaxxers) might be a minority on that topic, these people, on the issue presented, were actually in the vast majority for Idaho. Like at least 70% majority. The BLM protestors and mask Karens here are a vocal minority, but they are presented by the media as the opposite.

The Mayor of Boise also presents the majority view of Idaho as the view of "outsiders" that are not welcome in Boise. Nevermind that it's the city that houses the Capitol, where all Idahoans can go to have their voices heard.