Author Topic: Taxpayer subsidized sports stadiums  (Read 6908 times)

AZRedhawk44

• friends
Taxpayer subsidized sports stadiums
« on: August 18, 2011, 01:28:14 PM »
http://www.reuters.com/article/2011/08/17/us-nfl-forbes-salaries-idUSTRE77G6L320110817

$90 million for 5 years, for 1 man.  To play a game.

Put into the context of a 30 year mortgage, that's $540 million for an equivalent man for 30 years of a sports team's tenure in a location.

Football and baseball stadiums (~60k capacity) today cost anywhere from $600 million to 1 billion to construct, depending on how overboard the specs are.  Hockey and basketball stadiums (~12k capacity) cost considerably less.

These corporations needs to fund their own stadiums.  I think the NFL/NBA/MLB/NHL need to buy the stadiums under their central corporate authority and accept the risk of failure in a given market. 

We in PHX just built two new stadiums over in Glendale, way over on the west side of town.  One for the Coyotes hockey club, and the other for the Cardinals football team.  Giant mega-complex between the two stadiums, right next to each other.  Surrounded by farm fields and tracts of relatively new cookie-cutter neighborhoods. 

The coyotes went bankrupt a year or two ago and it took a lawsuit on the part of (Arizona? Glendale?  One or the other) to keep them in town and the NHL operating them.  The cardinals...suck.  People go to cards games to see other teams (frankly, same with the coyotes too). 

"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
Re: Taxpayer subsidized sports stadiums
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2011, 01:43:18 PM »
I can honestly say that I've never been to a professional sporting event in my life, except for car races.  I'm not a fan of anything played with a ball or a stick.

It's frustrating to see stadiums being subsidized with tax dollars, but the stadiums usually return more than their cost in additional business to the community. The presence of major league teams also helps burnish a city's image, and helps attract businesses.

Would I rather it not be done? Sure. But when other cities are doing it, it's almost a necessity.

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2011, 01:50:34 PM »
I can honestly say that I've never been to a professional sporting event in my life, except for car races.  I'm not a fan of anything played with a ball or a stick.

It's frustrating to see stadiums being subsidized with tax dollars, but the stadiums usually return more than their cost in additional business to the community. The presence of major league teams also helps burnish a city's image, and helps attract businesses.

Would I rather it not be done? Sure. But when other cities are doing it, it's almost a necessity.

Baade’s findings suggest that for most cities, Salt Lake included, the tangible economic benefits of hosting a professional sports team and/or constructing a new venue are not the highest and best use of public funds. Very little tangible economic activity is generated from them, unlike road construction or other public works.

http://www.imakenews.com/cppa/e_article000623460.cfm?x=b11,0,w
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

longeyes

• friend
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2011, 01:54:58 PM »
When I see a substantial monthly dividend check for my "investment" I'll be interested.  Not before.

Our pols just approved a big deal to bring pro football back to L.A.  I'll bet a lot of bank accounts in various places got swollen.
"Domari nolo."

Thug: What you lookin' at old man?
Walt Kowalski: Ever notice how you come across somebody once in a while you shouldn't have messed with? That's me.

Molon Labe.

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2011, 01:58:29 PM »

But what about when you build a stadium and 2-3 years later the team wants to declare bankrupty, fold, and re-locate to a new market?

Stadiums are worthless to the "tax base" without a team in them.

Case in point:  When the coyotes were having their troubles, or when other pro sports have their strikes and lockouts, people don't go to the businesses near the stadiums because there's no games to watch.  Those businesses are put into financial troubles, because they invested in the team being reliable.  When pro sports aren't a reliable draw due to their own behaviors (strikes, lockouts, moving away from a market) they hurt the businesses and "tax base" that counted on them being a part of the community for decades to come.

There's a huge shopping complex over by the cardinals/coyotes stadium complex, called Westgate.  Westgate is still a ghost town.  Lots of unrented shops.  Not much going on at the restaurant scene there on friday/saturday unless there are games at the stadiums.  Big empty hotels, unless there are games.

If those teams fold and the stadiums sit empty, then Westgate will fold too.  Good bye, tax base.

I'm glad the NHL was compelled by civil court procedings to keep the coyotes in town and operating.  

I'm just so sick of these sports corps browbeating cities and states into giving them billion dollar stadiums on the backs of taxpayers.  And this can't be fixed at the municipal or state level, because the teams will just pick up and move from a hostile state.  

I almost think a Federal legal intervention is needed, but I hate going Big Brother on private business typically.  Something that prohibits preferential tax packages or infrastructure bribery being used as leverage to get sports teams into cities.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2011, 02:07:41 PM »
It doesn't matter if they stay. Cities do not benefit (economically) from the presence of a sports team.

All you have is a chance of losing. There is no gain to be had from a sports team.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2011, 02:21:11 PM »
While not a sports team and can attest that Kansas City, Kansas has benifited from the speedway that was built there.  Granted taxpayers money didn't pay for all of it but the company that owns the track is getting huge tax breaks for about 30 years.  For years KCK and Wyandotte county was bleeding business and population, however, the area around the track has seen a large influx of business to include Great Wolf Lodge, Cabelas, Nebraska Furniture Mart, a large shopping area that has several restraunts and stores and Schliterbahn waterpark.  All there because of the speedway.
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2011, 02:32:53 PM »
While not a sports team and can attest that Kansas City, Kansas has benifited from the speedway that was built there.  Granted taxpayers money didn't pay for all of it but the company that owns the track is getting huge tax breaks for about 30 years.  For years KCK and Wyandotte county was bleeding business and population, however, the area around the track has seen a large influx of business to include Great Wolf Lodge, Cabelas, Nebraska Furniture Mart, a large shopping area that has several restraunts and stores and Schliterbahn waterpark.  All there because of the speedway.

Visibile benefits, hidden costs. Or, what is seen and what is unseen.

More of the poor economics education in this country. There are benefits, of course. TANSTAAFL, though.

birdman

• friend
« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2011, 02:37:01 PM »
It doesn't matter if they stay. Cities do not benefit (economically) from the presence of a sports team.

All you have is a chance of losing. There is no gain to be had from a sports team.

Since you made a categorical statement, I only need a single counter-example: Green Bay, WI.

Please change your statement to: "most cities do not benefit..." and "in most cases, there is no gain..."

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2011, 02:40:10 PM »
Since you made a categorical statement, I only need a single counter-example: Green Bay, WI.

Please change your statement to: "most cities do not benefit..." and "in most cases, there is no gain..."

Alright. On average, cities get no benefit.

That's like arguing if I say people who go to Vegas will lose money. Yes, some people beat the odds, but the odds favor the house.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2011, 03:14:38 PM »
I once had the opportunity to speak to a local politician at a town hall type meeting who was very enthusiastic about a local sports stadium proposal, and he said "We ALL benefit!"

Repeatedly.

So I asked him - "Since I don't own a bar, restaurant, or hotel - to make money off the sports traffic - should I just contact YOUR office to make sure I get MY piece of the action? After all you said we ALL benefit - and I'd like MY benefit in cash!"

Much laughter, and a fair bit of applause from the audience.

The politician? He got rather upset and red-faced . . .   >:D
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2011, 03:21:17 PM »
Also, one has to ask:

What is the sports tickets replacing? People aren't suddenly spending more money because a sports team is in town, they are replacing some other activity with attending a sporting event. You will get some out of towners in for the event, of course, but most people will be local. As such, those local dollars have just been shifted from something else to sporting tickets. Meals at the restaurants near the sporting venue have just been shifted from meals in other local restaurants.

How much of that "new money" is actually money that would not have been spent locally in the first place? After we figure that out, how much did that "new money" cost?

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #12 on: August 18, 2011, 03:25:12 PM »
I once had the opportunity to speak to a local politician at a town hall type meeting who was very enthusiastic about a local sports stadium proposal, and he said "We ALL benefit!"

Repeatedly.

So I asked him - "Since I don't own a bar, restaurant, or hotel - to make money off the sports traffic - should I just contact YOUR office to make sure I get MY piece of the action? After all you said we ALL benefit - and I'd like MY benefit in cash!"

Far be it from me to defend sports subsidies, but your counter didn't really hold water. If (that's if) a sports venue leads to more business for bars, hotels, etc, then everyone WOULD benefit from the additional hospitality jobs, construction and maintenance of those facilities, and whatever the waiters, construction workers, janitors, HVAC repairmen, et al spend their money on.

'Course, that doesn't mean there's additional money coming in to your town. It could just be money not spent on something else.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #13 on: August 18, 2011, 03:57:18 PM »
That is the nice thing about the speedway in Kansas City.  When it is open it is bringing in "new" money because most people are from out of town.  And also since the surrounding businesses opened it kept money from leaving because before like I said KCK was bleeding business.
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #14 on: August 18, 2011, 06:17:07 PM »
The reason that Green Bay benefits is that it is privately held.  The residents (for the most part) are the owners of the team and the stadium.   The NFL actually dislikes GB because they can't push them around. 

The NFL (and it's owners) prefers that the cities or other municipal authorities own the stadiums.  Because that's were all the costs (other than salaries) and risks are.  They sign a (long term) contract to play in said stadium for a (mostly reduced) rate.  (or we'll move the team).  And the NFL and owners are free to profit from the deal.   

There have been several studies done on the economic effects of pro teams and publicly funded Stadiums, and they are, in a vast, vast, vast, majority of cases, a net loss to the municipality and the community.
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

brimic

• friends
« Reply #15 on: August 18, 2011, 06:33:33 PM »
TIF districts are fine by me- give a business a break on taxes to sweeten the deal.

A business shouldn't have to be supported by direct[/i taxation however.

When they built Miller Stadium in Milwaukee, they included an increase in sales tax (0.1%) for the 5 surrounding counties. I live 25 miles away and receive no benefit from the stadium- and no, in this case the stadium hasn't spawned any kind of economic expansion either- its located in a more or less desolate industrial site.
While this isn't much (I won't belabor the definition of 'isn't much'- we are 'isn't muched' to death in WI already), its never going to go away either, they've already talked about extending it into infinitum.

"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

brimic

• friends
« Reply #16 on: August 18, 2011, 06:40:05 PM »
The reason that Green Bay benefits is that it is privately held.  The residents (for the most part) are the owners of the team and the stadium.   The NFL actually dislikes GB because they can't push them around.

The NFL (and it's owners) prefers that the cities or other municipal authorities own the stadiums.  Because that's were all the costs (other than salaries) and risks are.  They sign a (long term) contract to play in said stadium for a (mostly reduced) rate.  (or we'll move the team).  And the NFL and owners are free to profit from the deal.   
Yep, yep.
To add, Lambeau Field is a destination- Green Bay is Lambeau Field and vise versa.
Its almost a patriotic duty of a Green Bay business to choose green and gold as its favorite colors and name itself in someway related to the Packers. I'm not much of a football fan and find it kind of nauseating, but you don't find anything like that anywhere else.

Barack Obama

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
« Reply #17 on: August 18, 2011, 07:08:29 PM »
I stand corrected.

As for Green Bay, if it weren't for the Packers, the city wouldn't have electricity, indoor plumbing or paved streets.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #18 on: August 18, 2011, 07:18:54 PM »
I stand corrected.

As for Green Bay, if it weren't for the Packers, the city wouldn't have electricity, indoor plumbing or paved streets.

Then it would still be better than Detroit?
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Jim147

• friends
« Reply #19 on: August 18, 2011, 07:50:01 PM »
That is the nice thing about the speedway in Kansas City.  When it is open it is bringing in "new" money because most people are from out of town.  And also since the surrounding businesses opened it kept money from leaving because before like I said KCK was bleeding business.

The Legends shopping area got it's own tax breaks too. And if I remember my Cabelas receipts correctly the customers paid a special sales tax at the stores.

jim
Sometimes we carry more weight then we owe.
And sometimes goes on and on and on.

BAH-WEEP-GRAAAGHNAH WHEEP NI-NI BONG

brimic

• friends
« Reply #20 on: August 18, 2011, 08:53:34 PM »
Then it would still be better than Detroit?

Detroit multiple stadiums, so they should be like Disney or Vegas in terms of economic development by now.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2011, 09:00:08 PM by brimic »

Barack Obama

birdman

• friend
« Reply #21 on: August 18, 2011, 10:05:55 PM »

There have been several studies done on the economic effects of pro teams and publicly funded Stadiums, and they are, in a vast, vast, vast, majority of cases, a net loss to the municipality and the community.

Not onlyis it privately held, there are rules as to how many shares can be owned by any one individual or organization, the shares are expensive, and in order to move the team, a majority must vote to do so.  Since GB residents got first crack at the shares, it is more likely the earth will suddenly careen into the sun than the packers ever move, and then over my cold dead body.
-Marc (owner of a foam cheesehead, and one who screams when packer games aren't on regular TV here in NOVA)

TechMan

• Administrator
  • Yes, your moderation has been outsourced.
« Reply #22 on: August 18, 2011, 11:06:45 PM »
Hamilton County/Cincinnati Ohio is on the hook for close to ~ $1,000,000,000 in stadiums for two piss *expletive deleted*ss teams, well the Reds are trying to come back, just don't say anything about the Bengals Bungles.  The voters were even convinced to raise the sales tax on themselves in order to pay for the stadiums.  One of the county commissioners made a deal with Mike Brown the devil and now works for him.  No conflict of interest.  The best thing is that the teams get to say what other events can happen in the stadiums that the taxpayers own.  :mad: :mad:  The Bungles just had to have an open air stadium so they could have a natural turf field, which is now field turf (courtesy of the taxpayers).  They should have built a dome so Cincinnati might have a chance of hosting a Super Bowl or at least be able to have events in the stadium year round, instead of being used 8-10 times a year.
Hawkmoon - Never underestimate another person's capacity for stupidity. Any time you think someone can't possibly be that dumb ... they'll prove you wrong.

Bacon and Eggs - A day's work for a chicken; A lifetime commitment for a pig.
Stupidity will always be its own reward.
Bad decisions make good stories.

Viking - The problem with the modern world is that there aren't really any predators eating stupid people.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #23 on: August 18, 2011, 11:38:55 PM »
Tulsa buit a fance big *expletive deleted*ss arena downtown, sold naming rights to the Bank of Oklahoma (BOK) and now it is the BOK Center although quiet a few folks call it the bokarena.
Tulsa also just copleted a big *expletive deleted*ss baseball stadium downtown for the minor league Tulsa Oilers.
The downtown area is a special tax zone and all the businesses that "benefit" from the two operations get to pay extra taxes.

Did I mention that there was no additional parking included with either of these projects.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

brimic

• friends
« Reply #24 on: August 18, 2011, 11:44:17 PM »
Did I mention that there was no additional parking included with either of these projects.

Well cars, who needs cars. I mean they did put bike lanes in, didn't they?

Barack Obama