Author Topic: Family of Ugandan philanthropist decapitated by traffic gate in Arches National  (Read 497 times)

MechAg94

• friend
Family of Ugandan philanthropist decapitated by traffic gate in Arches National Park awarded $10.5m
https://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/ugandan-woman-decapitated-arches-national-park-compensation-b2272950.html
This story caught my eye.  One of those odd accidents. 
The family of Ugandan philanthropist Esther Nakajjigo, who was decapitated by a traffic gate in front of her husband in Arches National Park in Utah, has been awarded $10.5m.
:O :O
Attorneys for Ms Nakajjigo’s family argued that the US National Park Service were negligent for not securing a metal traffic control gate that whipped around in high winds and sliced through the car’s passenger door, instantly killing her.
The lawsuit argued that the unsecured gate in effect “turned a metal pipe into a spear that went straight through the side of a car, decapitating and killing Esther Nakajjigo”.

The first headline didn't say why the US was paying $10MM, but then I saw the decapitation part.  How the hell did that happen?  Unfortunately, I can't find a link with any pictures of the gate.  I am trying to figure out how this happened.   The last quote gives a clue.  Only thing I can figure is a section of pipe extended off the end of the gate and that is what came through into the car. 

Do any of you know how the Parks service builds gates in Utah? 

“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in

Do any of you know how the Parks service builds gates in Utah?

Poorly.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

MechAg94

• friend
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
There's a Google Earth image of the gate that you can spin around here:

https://www.mercurynews.com/2020/11/12/newlywed-killed-by-swinging-gate-at-arches-national-park/

Scout. Charby, and me were there when we spread Monkeyleg's ashes. I can't figure out how that gate would decapitate someone. I wonder if they were in a convertible? On my 4Runner those gates don't even come above the hood.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

MechAg94

• friend
Thanks.  That doesn't look very substantial but the pipe used can be a bit heavy.  It would take high winds to kill someone.  All I can figure is the end came in the window and caught her neck?  I imagine it was a bit of a freak accident. 

dogmush

• friend
Low car, gate is closing with some velocity, car has velocity in the other direction,  and just really bad timing.  The end of the gate probably came through the window.

I am a little surprised the gate doesn't have a lock open mechanism or chain, I think that's pretty common on most gates I see like that.  It's certainly tragic for the poor guy.  I do note that Ben's article says they were going to ask for $270M and Mech's article says they got $10M.  So there wasn't a whole ton of sympathy in the court.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Yeah, but when you look at the construction of the gate, you would think the diagonal pipe would grab a fender at the down angle if it were opening into the road counterclockwise. Unless the driver saw the gate swinging and swerved into the other lane but didn't make it all the way?

Edit: I'm making an assumption that the gate pictured is the same gate, or the same type that killed her. They may have modified their gates since then and the picture gate may be modified.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

dogmush

• friend
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x2zO_2gJJ64

I found that which has some pics of the vehicle and gate.  Looks like the gate in the picture has been modified from the one that killed the lady.  I couldn't easily find the video from the visitor center cam

MechAg94

• friend
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x2zO_2gJJ64

I found that which has some pics of the vehicle and gate.  Looks like the gate in the picture has been modified from the one that killed the lady.  I couldn't easily find the video from the visitor center cam
At about 2:44, it looks like that extra small rod between the sign and the end wasn't there.  So it does sound like the end swung around and was just high enough to go over the door and through the window.

dogmush

• friend
They also said that the accident gate swung opposite (clockwise) of the one in the pic, so it would have been much more spear-like going in, and the motion of the car would have driven the gate deeper into the car.

It does sound pretty unsafe.

Bogie

• friend
  • Hunkered in South St. Louis, right by Route 66
    • Third Rate Pundit
Back about 10 or so years ago, one of the exhibitors at Knob Creek was riding his four wheeler at dusk to run up to the range, and the "steel pole" gate was half open, and it jousted him. Didn't kill him, but pretty much messed him up.
Blog under construction