Author Topic: POlice and the Tactical Prof.  (Read 1221 times)

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
POlice and the Tactical Prof.
« on: July 05, 2021, 09:56:40 AM »
I was perusing some posts on the Tactical Professor site, and I noticed that "POlice" is usually spelled with some odd choices in capitalization. Anyone know what that's about?

An example:
https://tacticalprofessor.wordpress.com/2021/06/04/how-recent-relevant-and-realistic/
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
Re: POlice and the Tactical Prof.
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2021, 10:00:03 AM »
PO-PO is urban slang for the Police
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2021, 10:03:27 AM »
I have often seen in the tv and the movies, where lowbrow white Southerners or urban black people pronounce "police" as "POH-leese". Maybe they are doing some variant of that?
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2021, 10:04:46 AM »
I have often seen in the tv and the movies, where lowbrow white Southerners or urban black people pronounce "police" as "POH-leese". Maybe they are doing some variant of that?
That was my thought. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2021, 10:48:52 AM »
Looking at the post, I would say training never ends.  Training comes from practice, classes, and just mental preparation/study.  There is always something you hadn't considered and something you need to work on more....even if you took every class available. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2021, 01:04:09 PM »
I have to wonder why a site that's going for the "tactical considerations for the thinking man" vibe would want to emphasize the po' white redneck or urban yute pronunciation.

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2021, 01:47:46 PM »
I was perusing some posts on the Tactical Professor site, and I noticed that "POlice" is usually spelled with some odd choices in capitalization. Anyone know what that's about?

An example:
https://tacticalprofessor.wordpress.com/2021/06/04/how-recent-relevant-and-realistic/

Hmm.  Don't know, but a g00gle search on ""POlice" site:tacticalprofessor.wordpress.com" pulls up a bunch of instances on that site.

(The guy is worth listening to.  Like here: https://tacticalprofessor.wordpress.com/2018/02/14/dear-instructors-get-a-real-job/)
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2021, 02:27:38 PM »
Hmm.  Don't know, but a g00gle search on ""POlice" site:tacticalprofessor.wordpress.com" pulls up a bunch of instances on that site.

(The guy is worth listening to.  Like here: https://tacticalprofessor.wordpress.com/2018/02/14/dear-instructors-get-a-real-job/)
I will have to listen that.  The comments underneath are interesting.  Sounds like some people get too caught up in the FBI standards and other crap.  It is good information, but for self defense it shouldn't be considered mandatory.  Self defense is usually a series of compromises already.  380 can still poke holes in people. 

lee n. field

• friend
« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2021, 06:49:27 PM »
I will have to listen that.  The comments underneath are interesting.  Sounds like some people get too caught up in the FBI standards and other crap.  It is good information, but for self defense it shouldn't be considered mandatory.  Self defense is usually a series of compromises already.  380 can still poke holes in people.

Heavy emphasis on real world carry.  His challenge to the tactical crowd is to go get a real job, say in retail, carry the full loadout your police/military background leads you to recommend, and see how long it is before you get made and your sorry a** gets fired.

The meat in the linked audio starts about a half hour in, IIRC.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2021, 10:08:07 AM »
Heavy emphasis on real world carry.  His challenge to the tactical crowd is to go get a real job, say in retail, carry the full loadout your police/military background leads you to recommend, and see how long it is before you get made and your sorry a** gets fired.

I found time to listen to it yesterday.  Your summary is accurate.  People forget that self defense begins with a series of compromises.  Otherwise, we would all go through life in body armor, helmets, and carrying a combat rifle with ammo.  You carry what you can conceal and what you can use/shoot.  And a gun doesn't have to kill or even seriously wound to be effective at stopping an attack.  That isn't ideal, but ideal isn't always possible.

One youtuber I like has an alternate channel I don't watch.  He did a video on it talking about the best holsters to use and essentially said you have to use this one OWB retention holster.  It was just odd to me.  He had high standards for carry, and I felt he made little allowance for the fact that many people can't carry like that or won't prove their gun by shooting 500 rounds without a malfunction, etc, etc.  I am also reminded of the people who claimed they only shoot the ammo they carry for defense. 
« Last Edit: July 06, 2021, 10:20:23 AM by MechAg94 »

lee n. field

• friend
« Reply #10 on: July 06, 2021, 02:32:17 PM »
I found time to listen to it yesterday.  Your summary is accurate.  People forget that self defense begins with a series of compromises.  Otherwise, we would all go through life in body armor, helmets, and carrying a combat rifle with ammo.  You carry what you can conceal and what you can use/shoot.  And a gun doesn't have to kill or even seriously wound to be effective at stopping an attack.  That isn't ideal, but ideal isn't always possible.

One youtuber I like has an alternate channel I don't watch.  He did a video on it talking about the best holsters to use and essentially said you have to use this one OWB retention holster.  It was just odd to me.  He had high standards for carry, and I felt he made little allowance for the fact that many people can't carry like that or won't prove their gun by shooting 500 rounds without a malfunction, etc, etc.  I am also reminded of the people who claimed they only shoot the ammo they carry for defense.

Like I kind of look askance at folks online that insist that they carry a gun with a weapon mounted light.   "Really?"

Anyway, you'd probably like listening to Darryl Bolke.  Retired cop with a similar emphasis.  He's the "great beard guy" doing most of the talking here: P&S ModCast 197 - Snubbies!.  ("3.5 hours!"  Yeah, listen, you'll enjoy it.  And you can skip the first 30 minutes, as they're waiting for someone to show up.)

Bogie

• friend
  • Hunkered in South St. Louis, right by Route 66
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #11 on: July 06, 2021, 11:55:33 PM »
I'm fat. I can make a pocket-carried Glock 43 just plain disappear.

Easy.
Blog under construction

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #12 on: July 07, 2021, 09:12:01 AM »
Like I kind of look askance at folks online that insist that they carry a gun with a weapon mounted light.   "Really?"

Anyway, you'd probably like listening to Darryl Bolke.  Retired cop with a similar emphasis.  He's the "great beard guy" doing most of the talking here: P&S ModCast 197 - Snubbies!.  ("3.5 hours!"  Yeah, listen, you'll enjoy it.  And you can skip the first 30 minutes, as they're waiting for someone to show up.)
I wouldn't mind carrying a light, but I don't like kydex holsters and finding a good leather holster I like that also happens to be made to fit my preferred pistol with a light is next to impossible. 

I just use the Olight weapon mounted lights.  They have a QD latch so they go on and off easily.  When I am home and not using my holster, the light goes on and it becomes a home defense pistol.

lee n. field

• friend
« Reply #13 on: July 07, 2021, 11:01:41 AM »
I'm fat. I can make a pocket-carried Glock 43 just plain disappear.

Easy.

Pannus carry, the new tacticool hotness.

Zardozimo Oprah Bannedalas

• Webley Juggler
  • friend
  • All I got is a fistful of shekels
« Reply #14 on: July 07, 2021, 04:16:22 PM »

He's great, I was thrilled to run across him a while back and see someone with proper credentials and experience echoing the notions that I've developed over the years - there's entirely too many military/police notions in this scene that don't really apply or make sense for most people's situations.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #15 on: July 07, 2021, 08:12:25 PM »
Not to take anything away from the guy, but there's a lot of people pointing out that private sector training is too focused on .mil/LEO stuff.

lee n. field

• friend
« Reply #16 on: July 11, 2021, 08:02:04 PM »

An example:

Found the explaination on the Tactical Professor blog.

Fromthe comments to the post from June 25, 2021

skydaver June 25, 2021 at 11:14 pm   

Claude, may I ask why your articles spell out POlice, instead of police? You may have mentioned it, but I have not been able to find an explanation.

Thank you for all your thoughtful posts.
tacticalprofessor June 26, 2021 at 4:33 pm   

It’s just Chicargo wordplay to simulate verbalizing a long O vowel and placing the emphasis on the first syllable.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #17 on: July 12, 2021, 12:15:29 AM »
I am disappoint. Cuz that's kind of lame. Oh well. No biggie.

Bogie

• friend
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #18 on: July 12, 2021, 12:28:53 AM »
Heh... When you hell "Five-O in da house!" and half the "customers" who were hoping that someone would look away long enough for 'em to stuff something in their pants suddenly find the front door... and one finds the fire exit...
Blog under construction

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #19 on: July 12, 2021, 12:33:49 AM »
Heh... When you hell "Five-O in da house!" and half the "customers" who were hoping that someone would look away long enough for 'em to stuff something in their pants suddenly find the front door... and one finds the fire exit...

You mean I'm not supposed to stuff the merchandise in my pants? Some people are so uptight...

Bogie

• friend
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #20 on: July 12, 2021, 01:00:36 AM »
We know what else has been in your pants. That's why we have the propane torches.
Blog under construction