Author Topic: Ruger SP101 Handling Review: No Thanks  (Read 4482 times)

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
Re: Ruger SP101 Handling Review: No Thanks
« Reply #25 on: July 27, 2016, 12:05:38 PM »
How well does the sp101 handle .357?

I've shot full house H110 over 158gr through it for years and it still locks up tight. I wouldn't do that with my Smith 19-3. The weight everyone complains about definitely helps.
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #26 on: July 27, 2016, 12:40:14 PM »
Full house .357 is painful to shoot in my steel 605, a couple ounces lighter (IIRC) than the SP101.  The few times I've done it I've wanted to look to see if the gun is still together.

Extremely well.  The SP-101 is my hiking/snowshoeing carry gun.  I load with a 180 grain SWC in the woods.  It is impressive yet manageable to shoot with this load.  I carry 125 or 110 JHP in town.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #27 on: July 27, 2016, 02:01:13 PM »
Depends on the audience, people I have at least some degree of trust with my response to the question of how many guns I own is to get a look of concentration on my face, stare off into space for a few moments, stroke my beard for effect then answer with, " I don't really know anymore".

Someone I don't know very well or have enough trust in the answer is " a few" or "enough".

Strangers get "That's really none of your concern".

I have also come back with "How much jewelry does your wife have?". 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #28 on: July 27, 2016, 02:39:17 PM »
Full house .357 is painful to shoot in my steel 605, a couple ounces lighter (IIRC) than the SP101.  The few times I've done it I've wanted to look to see if the gun is still together.

Like the proverbial tank it is. It is essentially a scaled GP100, and not very scaled at that. Perceived recoil is stout with the small CC-friendly(-ish) grips. A set of aftermarket contoured grips helps a ton, especially if you have very large hands.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #29 on: July 27, 2016, 04:22:26 PM »
The recoil is stout, as you'd imagine any compact/snubby .357 would be. And the Ruger factory grips did a decent job of taming the recoil, so while strong, it wasn't all that sharp/painful or a "spank" or slap. However, the rubber is kind of sticky and will snag on clothes when you try and draw it unless your hands covers/encompasses all of the grip, especially the bottom of the butt. All of my problems were the frame and trigger guard rubbing bleeding wounds in my hands just after 3-5 shots. And flash burns, dirt, and some powder tattooing on my shooting hand.

This was all pre-cellphone era, and before various niche optimized cartridges came out, so I was rid of it on consignment. A complete de-horn job, and some of the .357 loads or .38+p optimized for a snubby that have come out in the past decade that mitigated the cylinder gap flash probably would have helped.

Mechanically everything was great, it was just a matter of "try before you buy" and everyone has different hands. And my particular issues weren't worth trying aftermarket grips just to alleviate the snagging issues.
I promise not to duck.

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #30 on: July 27, 2016, 04:23:13 PM »
Depends on the audience, people I have at least some degree of trust with my response to the question of how many guns I own is to get a look of concentration on my face, stare off into space for a few moments, stroke my beard for effect then answer with, " I don't really know anymore".

Someone I don't know very well or have enough trust in the answer is " a few" or "enough".

Strangers get "That's really none of your concern".

I had a customer see the NRA sticker on my laptop the other day and ask "What do you pack?".   I thought for a second, and answered straight.  "A j-frame or an XD subcompact, depending on circumstances."  

Not sure how he took that.
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.