Author Topic: "Fallout" on Amazon Prime  (Read 972 times)

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
Re: "Fallout" on Amazon Prime
« Reply #25 on: April 26, 2024, 02:20:50 PM »
My only complaint after watching the first episode is "where's the titties?" Sex,hand to glans combat in a barracks scene and a fork in the eye yet no gratuitous flesh! I don't know.   :laugh:

I will watch it, it beats the hell out of reruns of Leave It to Beaver and Perry Mason.

bob

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #26 on: April 26, 2024, 07:44:18 PM »
Well, Bob, I just saw an episode with a lot of titties.

But very few are ones you really want to see.

Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #27 on: April 26, 2024, 07:45:22 PM »
Anyone catch the call out to the Simpsons in Episode 5?

Coop plugs a video tape into a TV...

The TV's brand name is the Radiation King.

That's from an episode of the Simpsons in the mid 1990s.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #28 on: April 26, 2024, 09:41:11 PM »
How about about the little kid climbing out of a refrigerator, having supposedly survived an atomic bomb blast?  It was a callout to the "Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull" movie where Jones survived an atomic bomb blast inside a refrigerator.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #29 on: April 27, 2024, 08:03:59 AM »
How about about the little kid climbing out of a refrigerator, having supposedly survived an atomic bomb blast?  It was a callout to the "Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull" movie where Jones survived an atomic bomb blast inside a refrigerator.

Damn it, I KNEW that scene was plucking a memory fiber! I just couldn't place it.

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #30 on: April 27, 2024, 08:40:18 AM »
Damn it, I KNEW that scene was plucking a memory fiber! I just couldn't place it.

When I first saw that scene, my faulty memory thought it was a callout to an old Quantum Leap episode.  Then I realized where it came from.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #31 on: April 27, 2024, 01:48:47 PM »
Just finished season 1.

Wow, what a trippy experience that was! But man did I REALLY like it. In fact, I liked it a LOT more than I liked The Last of Us. 

The atmospheric nature of it, as I mentioned below, so much reminded me of Bioshock. The soundtrack, primarily from the 1950s and very early 1960s, was absolutely stellar.

And the neat little twists and turns were really exceptional. I suppose I would have seen a lot of them coming had I had experience with the game, but every time I thought I had it figured out what was going on... BAM! Plot twist completely from left field.

I can't wait for season 2.

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #32 on: April 27, 2024, 06:44:42 PM »
KFrame, I think you would probably like Fallout as a game. Fair warning Fallout 76 is a quite different game from the others because it is a multiplayer game. I personally am not a fan of multiplayer and prefer the Fallout 3, Fallout New Vegas, and Fallout 4 games. The first two of those are Xbox 360 era games and I don’t know the availability of them for the current XBox (PlayStation players can play them on PlayStation’s yearly subscription service)

FO76 is set in West Virginia. FO4 in Boston area. New Vegas the area surrounding LV and Hoover Dam, and FO3 the DC area. I can vouch for 3, NV, and 4 as being a ton of fun, especially if you like a mix of combat, problem solving, and exploration in your games.
Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #33 on: April 27, 2024, 07:37:38 PM »
I was reading an article online this evening that copies of the various Fallout games are in short supply.

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #34 on: April 27, 2024, 08:00:33 PM »
If you wanted to try one, I would recommend Fallout 4.  I tried to fire up New Vegas a a week or so ago on my PS5 and it was ROUGH.  It still has some of the best video game storytelling of the series, but man the game design and engine have not aged well.  It just looks bad.

F4 is 9 years old now, and New Vegas is almost 15 years old and feels it.

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #35 on: April 27, 2024, 08:35:23 PM »
If you wanted to try one, I would recommend Fallout 4.  I tried to fire up New Vegas a a week or so ago on my PS5 and it was ROUGH.  It still has some of the best video game storytelling of the series, but man the game design and engine have not aged well.  It just looks bad.

F4 is 9 years old now, and New Vegas is almost 15 years old and feels it.

I really wish they would remaster New Vegas. It has been my favorite so far.

Bethesda recently released a major update for FO4, I assume due to the popularity of the show. Maybe that will encourage some other nice updates as well. After all The Last of Us got two updates to the first game, a minor and a major remaster.

Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #36 on: April 28, 2024, 08:23:15 AM »
OK, I just bought Fallout 4 for Xbox One.

Should be here tomorrow.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #37 on: April 28, 2024, 09:25:46 AM »
Now this is neat!

That yellow convertible that Coop was driving?

It's an actual car. I figured it was some sort of concept dreamed up by the studio for the series, but damned if it's not a real thing, including the sliding driver's side door.

A Kaiser Darrin.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kaiser_Darrin

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #38 on: April 28, 2024, 10:45:22 AM »
^^^Boy, that is beautiful!

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #39 on: April 28, 2024, 11:35:12 AM »
I don't much like yellow as a color for much of anything, but that is absolutely GORGEOUS.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #40 on: April 29, 2024, 07:08:54 AM »
Even better, it had a 6-cylinder F-head engine with an earth shattering 90 horsepower...

And an early fiberglass body.

Fewer than 500 produced, about 300 survive.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #41 on: April 30, 2024, 08:20:11 AM »
So, I got Fallout 4 last night for my Xbox One.

Popped the disk in, and I immediately had an update that needed to be installed in addition to the game installing.

So, is Fallout 4 fun?

Beats the hell out of me.

By the time I finally said screw it and started getting ready for bed the damned thing had been installing for over 2 hours and was still only 50% done.

I had the same issue with Diablo 3 when I bought it last year. Took for freaking ever for it to install.

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #42 on: April 30, 2024, 04:13:57 PM »
I watched episode 1 last night.  I'm not familiar with the game.  Was "The Ghoul" introduced near the end of the episode the birthday party cowboy from the opening scene?  (I think it was)  I hope we get the rest of his backstory.  He gave too much of it already talking to the little girl in that first scene to be a throwaway character.
"It's good, though..."

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #43 on: April 30, 2024, 04:33:33 PM »
Nope, you never see that character again...

:rofl:

Yes, Walton Goggins is the Cowboy/Ghoul.

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #44 on: April 30, 2024, 04:39:51 PM »
Nope, you never see that character again...

:rofl:

Yes, Walton Goggins is the Cowboy/Ghoul.

And you get more backstory on The Ghoul in episodes 4 and 5.  He is becoming much more interesting as the series progresses.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #45 on: May 01, 2024, 07:15:20 AM »
Good lord... this may be the slowest paced game I've ever played.

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #46 on: May 01, 2024, 07:39:27 AM »
Good lord... this may be the slowest paced game I've ever played.

If you do most of the side quests it's like 100-130 hours of gameplay.  If you build settlements and a trade network longer.  Plus if you just bought it I think there's two DLC's you probably got.  You could realistically spend 175-200 hours to do everything.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #47 on: May 01, 2024, 07:41:30 AM »
One thing I didn't realize is that this copy also came with the full downloadable version of Fallout 3.

And good lord... that's a lot of play time.

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #48 on: May 01, 2024, 08:43:42 AM »
Bethesda gonna Bethesda.  Slightly buggy with a wonky engine, but you gonna be in their games for years.  There's still stuff in Skyrim I haven't gotten to.

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #49 on: May 01, 2024, 05:40:06 PM »
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes