Author Topic: More school madness  (Read 7456 times)

Matthew Carberry

• Formerly carebear
  • friend
  • Fiat justitia, pereat mundus
Re: More school madness
« Reply #25 on: December 19, 2007, 03:51:34 PM »
We're not talking about a perfect world here.  We're talking about the dirty world of politics.  Either you can get the voters on your side and enact your policies or you cannot.  What other options are there besides whining?  Please don't tell me about rightists doing their best.  Remember what Sean Connery said about that in "The Untouchables."

Point of Order.

Wasn't it in "The Rock" when he made the point about who did what vis-a-vis the prom queen?
"Not all unwise laws are unconstitutional laws, even where constitutional rights are potentially involved." - Eugene Volokh

"As for affecting your movement, your Rascal should be able to achieve the the same speeds no matter what holster rig you are wearing."

Warren

« Reply #26 on: December 19, 2007, 06:03:01 PM »
I homeschool and my kids cut their meat with a gun, just like in the olden days.

Joe Demko

• friend
  • Marko Kloos was right about you.
« Reply #27 on: December 20, 2007, 01:39:00 AM »
We're not talking about a perfect world here.  We're talking about the dirty world of politics.  Either you can get the voters on your side and enact your policies or you cannot.  What other options are there besides whining?  Please don't tell me about rightists doing their best.  Remember what Sean Connery said about that in "The Untouchables."

Point of Order.

Wasn't it in "The Rock" when he made the point about who did what vis-a-vis the prom queen?

Mea culpa.  That's the correct movie.  The point remains germane, however.
That's right... I'm a Jackbooted Thug AND a Juvenile Indoctrination Technician.  Deal with it.

SteveS

• The Voice of Reason
  • friends
« Reply #28 on: December 20, 2007, 04:16:07 AM »
For example, "zero tolerance" is as much about ensuring so-called "equal treatment" as it is "safety".  For fear of being accused (and sued for) bias in disciplining students, schools fall back on lock-step policy rather than reason.

In my state (MI), zero tolerence is 100% the fault of the legislature that drafted various school weapons laws and the governor who signed them (For those that lived in MI, it was Engler (R) and, IIRC, the legislature was controlled by the Republicans).  I am sure that some schools would have implemented their own zero-tolerence, but many would have preferred to use common sense and their own discretion.
Profanity is the linguistic crutch of the inarticulate mother****er.