Author Topic: Meant to be funny, but not a bad thing to thunk about...  (Read 3877 times)

Matthew Carberry

• Formerly carebear
  • friend
  • Fiat justitia, pereat mundus
Meant to be funny, but not a bad thing to thunk about...
« on: December 16, 2007, 05:48:27 PM »
http://www.mcsweeneys.net/2005/4/8schweiger.html

A REALISTIC
ASSESSMENT OF
HOW MANY 12-YEAR-OLDS I COULD BEAT UP BEFORE THEY OVERTOOK ME.
BY MATT SCHWEIGER
- - - -

Your average 12-year-old boy is about 5 feet tall, weighs in the area of a buck-fifteen, and has developed little muscle mass.

I am 21, approximately 6 feet tall, tip the scales at an even 180, and have a moderately athletic and muscular build.

Judging on these statistics and what I assume would be a natural ferocity that would spring forth in a moment of physical danger, I estimate that I could beat up seven 12-year-olds before they overtook me. Of course, these would have to be the aforementioned average-sized 12-year-olds. Future linebackers, NBA players, and all Scandinavian children would throw off this equation. On the flip side, if these were some wimpy, four-square-playing, future-jockey 12-year-olds, I imagine the number would skyrocket to anywhere between 12 and 15. It's simple exponential math.

This is also assuming that my opponents are smart enough to organize themselves into a circular attack instead of coming at me one by one. If it were an individual, king-of-the-mountain battle royale, I could endlessly pummel 12-year-olds without mercy. But we're assuming at least a sixth-grade education in a marginal public school as well as some exposure to kung-fu movies, so these kids would form a circle.

However, using my quick wits, I would charge one portion of the circle, landing a devastating blow on the unlucky individual, which would make the others proceed with hesitancy. One on one, I feel like I could deliver a lot of punishment to a 12-year-old. There would be one or two brave ones who would jump on my back, distracting me and thus enabling the others to attack. At best, I could fight off the two heroes on my back and maybe take out four on the ground before I was felled by fatigue and numerous kicks to my groin and shins. This would equal a grand total of seven.

My friend Brian, who stands about 6 feet 2 inches and is stronger than myself, estimates that he could take down a dozen 12-year-olds. I find this hard to believe, but he has been in a fight with people his own age and is a little taller, making groin shots more difficult. Brian's reach is much longer than mine as well, which is a huge advantage. If you can land solid shots from a distance longer than the 12-year-olds' legs, there is no need to worry about groin kicks.

He says he would attack one portion of the circle in a fury, scaring off any would-be heroes who wanted to jump on his back and sacrifice themselves for the group. Then he would deal massive blows until fatigue and the inevitable groin shots brought him to the ground. I told him I'd give him nine or ten, but even for the above-average Brian, taking down a dozen 12-year-olds seems like a lot.

If it weren't for the law and my own morals, we could put these pressing questions to rest. Alas, these barriers still stand in our way.

I'm a pacifist anyway.

"Not all unwise laws are unconstitutional laws, even where constitutional rights are potentially involved." - Eugene Volokh

"As for affecting your movement, your Rascal should be able to achieve the the same speeds no matter what holster rig you are wearing."

Thor

• friend
  • US Navy (retired)
Re: Meant to be funny, but not a bad thing to thunk about...
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2007, 06:18:22 PM »
Find the leader and take him out..... the rest will probably flee.

Since I carry and IF a group of 12 year olds were to attack me, I'd hope to be able to take out at least 11 because I would definitely be in fear of great bodily harm or death.
" a sword never kills anybody; it's a tool in the killer's hand." - Lucius Annaeus

for Military, Vets, & Supporters, check out:
USMILNET

Conservative Discussion Forum

wooderson

• friend
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2007, 06:30:36 PM »
this sounds like... fun

Can we get some funding and turn this into an experiment?
"The famously genial grin turned into a rictus of senile fury: I was looking at a cruel and stupid lizard."

Bogie

• friend
  • Hunkered in South St. Louis, right by Route 66
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2007, 06:31:28 PM »
Hey, it is something to consider - the "gang of street urchins" is actually a thing to worry about in some areas...

Blog under construction

Matthew Carberry

• Formerly carebear
  • friend
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2007, 01:35:55 AM »
Find the leader and take him out..... the rest will probably flee.

Sure, in the '80s that was as easy as finding the kid in the red leather jacket and a single glove on the left hand...

grin
"Not all unwise laws are unconstitutional laws, even where constitutional rights are potentially involved." - Eugene Volokh

"As for affecting your movement, your Rascal should be able to achieve the the same speeds no matter what holster rig you are wearing."

Matthew Carberry

• Formerly carebear
  • friend
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2007, 01:38:11 AM »
Hey, it is something to consider - the "gang of street urchins" is actually a thing to worry about in some areas...

I believe Mas Ayoob addressed this in a book.  It is fairly easy to justify shooting an armed,30 year old to a jury.  When it's a half-dozen unarmed (or less armed) 12 year olds, you better hope your lawyer is good.

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2007, 01:49:58 AM »
Pfft, when I was in the PI the boys there that were ganging up on the sailors were even younger, I'd say the youngest I saw would be in the vicinity of 7. They liked to get a noob, surround him and act like they were playing with him and then one of them would pick his pocket. They were very adept at it too, probably some of the best in the world. I can recall my first encounter being surrounded by 5 or 6 of them and applying that memory to hostile 12 yo's does not paint a pretty picture. I learned from that first experience that whenever a group of young boys approached you there the first thing you should do is put your hand in your pocket and grab your $. Once they saw that, they knew that YOU knew what was going on and they'd move along to easier pickin's.
Avoid cliches like the plague!

Matthew Carberry

• Formerly carebear
  • friend
« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2007, 01:58:10 AM »
However, using my quick wits, I would charge one portion of the circle, landing a devastating blow on the unlucky individual, which would make the others proceed with hesitancy. One on one, I feel like I could deliver a lot of punishment to a 12-year-old. There would be one or two brave ones who would jump on my back, distracting me and thus enabling the others to attack. At best, I could fight off the two heroes on my back and maybe take out four on the ground before I was felled by fatigue and numerous kicks to my groin and shins. This would equal a grand total of seven.

This falls under both mindset and tactics...

I found the link to this on Cracked.com.

However, this is no-poop real-world thinking for the bliss-ninnies among our families.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2007, 08:26:46 AM »
Just one 12 year old could beat me, if he jumped on my back and choked me.  I'm used to fighting large groups, but you need different tactics for fighting just one.

My way would be to just pick up a rock and bash their heads in.

Wink
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

Iain

• friend
« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2007, 08:40:42 AM »
The last time I had this conversation I was drunk and it was how many six years old it would take.

I figured I'd pick the smallest one and use him/her as a weapon.

These hypotheticals I find are best reserved for when drunk.
I do not like, when with me play, and I think that you also

Bogie

• friend
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #10 on: December 17, 2007, 08:45:42 AM »
If you have someone jump on your back, the best thing to do is remember what the biggest, hardest, most-protruding-edges dealie behind you is, and back up toward it at a run...

Hitting a bar backwards at the kidneys with 250 pounds on the other side of you is NOT a good thing... I'm guessing the fellow probably whizzed blood for a week.

Blog under construction

HankB

• friend
« Reply #11 on: December 17, 2007, 08:53:36 AM »
. . . get a noob, surround him and act like they were playing with him and then one of them would pick his pocket.
My cousins were warned about this when they took a vacation trip to Jamaica some years back. The solution was to hire a "guide" through the hotel's bell captain to accompany them. The "guide" was a local, usually in his late teens or early 20's, and his only job was to keep the urchins at bay . . . the "kids" knew that unlike a Yankee tourist,  another local would have no compunctions about planting a boot in some youthful pickpocket's face.

And the local constabulary, not seeing the big payday they would should a Yankee tourist defend himself, ignored the whole thing.
I figured I'd pick the smallest one and use him/her as a weapon.
That was my first thought, too . . .
These hypotheticals I find are best reserved for when drunk.
But I'm currently sober!  shocked
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Barbara

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #13 on: December 17, 2007, 11:40:56 AM »
No one picked up on my joke. Sad   Inconceivable!
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #14 on: December 17, 2007, 12:20:41 PM »
Tallpine, your way is not very sportsmanlike. 

Now, sleep well, and dream of large women. 
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Bogie

• friend
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #15 on: December 17, 2007, 03:05:00 PM »
Vid's safe, web site as a whole isn't.

http://www.break.com/index/another-david-vs-goliath.html

Blog under construction

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #16 on: December 17, 2007, 05:21:43 PM »
25  You could take on 25 five year old kids in a fight.
Copy and paste the HTML code below into your blog or profile to share your score with others.

<a href="http://www.justsayhi.com/bb/fight5" style="display: block; background: url(http://assets.justsayhi.com/badges/664/692/fight5.hqn945dav8.jpg) no-repeat; width: 296px; height: 84px; font-family: Arial, sans-serif; font-size: 42px; color: #fff; text-decoration: none; text-align: center; padding-top: 145px;">25[/url]<p><small>Free Online <a href="http://www.justsayhi.com">Dating[/url] from JustSayHi</small></p> 

I'm old, I'm cranky, and I don't have time for little children (or most other children, and quite a few who are out of their chronological childhood).  Normally I just sit in my corner and grumble as I sip my porter, but if you disturb me you will get an up-close demonstration of the definition of "going berserk".

stay safe.

skidmark
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #17 on: December 17, 2007, 05:45:51 PM »
You know, fistful - you're not all bad after all  grin

DustinD

• I have a title
  • friends
  • I have a personal text message
« Reply #18 on: December 17, 2007, 06:49:53 PM »
http://www.howmanyfiveyearoldscouldyoutakeinafight.com/ is it a good idea that the website links to a dating site?
"I don't always shoot defenceless women in the face, but when I do, I prefer H-S Precision.

Stay bloodthirsty, my friends."

- Lon Horiuchi

Bogie

• friend
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #19 on: December 17, 2007, 08:15:07 PM »
It listed me as 26... I think more. I fight _really_ dirty...

Blog under construction

Twycross

• friend
« Reply #20 on: December 17, 2007, 10:01:13 PM »
Apparently, I can take on 29 without fear.

Twelve-year-olds, on the other hand... they might pose a bit of a problem.

griz

• friend
« Reply #21 on: December 18, 2007, 02:25:25 AM »
This has got to be one of the weirdest threads I've ever seen.  I guess the biggest difference between this and a "what gun for zombies?" thread is 12 year olds do exist.  By the way, I could beat up to 75 of them.  Just throw a bag of candy and a Playboy magazine in one direction and run the other way.
Sent from a stone age computer via an ordinary keyboard.

Firethorn

• friend
  • Where'd my explosive space modulator go?
« Reply #22 on: December 18, 2007, 07:40:42 AM »
That's evasion, not beating up.

Personally, I wouldn't want to go up against many 12 year olds.  Even average, non-future football player ones.