Author Topic: Emergency Landing at San Diego tonight, American Airlines  (Read 1430 times)

RadioFreeSeaLab

• friend
Emergency Landing at San Diego tonight, American Airlines
« on: December 19, 2007, 06:50:12 PM »
I was driving by the San Diego airport tonight with my scanner on, and heard an American Airlines flight declare an emergency.  I didn't catch the whole thing, but it sounded like sparks came out of the gear controls when they tried to lower the nose gear?  The tower said something like "we copy, sparks from the controls."  The tower verified visually that the nose gear was down.  The plane made what looked like a normal landing (I pulled over to watch).  Equipment was standing by.  I believe it was an MD-90.
I do not know if the flight was scheduled to land at SAN, or if they diverted there.  Approximate time of landing was 0015 Zulu.  Does anyone know what exactly happened?
I think I've narrowed it down to one of the follow flight numbers:

I was hoping one of you pilots might know what happened.  I haven't seen any news stories about it, and I doubt I will, since nothing bad happened.

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
Re: Emergency Landing at San Diego tonight, American Airlines
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2007, 03:22:04 AM »
What happened is what happens many, many times a day in the NAS.  Emergencies are quite common.  The airlines are pretty good about taking precautions when they find something real funny with an airplane. 
If sparks came out while they were trying to lower thier gear, they were probably a normal arrival.....typically an emergency on short final isn't going to divert to another airport....when something's wrong with your airplane, you want to land, now....
Sorry I don't know specifics anymore....  laugh
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2007, 03:33:44 AM »
when something's wrong with your airplane, you want to land, now....
Buncha chickens...  grin
Avoid cliches like the plague!

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2007, 11:02:20 AM »
Sparks from the gear lever?

That's bad, umkay?   grin  In fact, all sparks in airplanes are bad.

That's a new one on me.  I'd be very surprised if sparks came from the gear lever in the Airbus.  I'm assuming that only low voltage and amperage is used in the gear lever switching, but I'm not certain and I don't have the info with me.

Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

RadioFreeSeaLab

• friend
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2007, 11:04:29 AM »
I assume it was the gear lever, because the tower confirmed the pilot's report of "sparks from the control" and then the tower visually confirmed the nose gear down.  Once the plane was on the ground, the pilot asked the tower if they could see any smoke, and they did not.

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2007, 11:09:46 AM »
As long as the landing didn't look like this one.

(no crash, but I think the nose gear strut is probably about a foot or so shorter now...)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5TCP2CF21NA

when something's wrong with your airplane, you want to land, now...

Preferably rubber side down and with all the major parts still attached to the aircraft, yes.

Reminds me of that Serenity exchange. "Just get us on the ground!" "That part'll happen pretty definitely!"

Lennyjoe

• friend
« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2007, 03:21:04 PM »
Most likely a short in the landing gear handle.  As long as the gear transitioned to down and locked the jet wouldn't have any problems landing.  An A&P mechanic will change the handle, do follow on gear swings to ops check the handle and off it goes. 

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2007, 06:21:28 PM »
Jodie Foster was probably crawling around in the baggage compartment switching wires around .....
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin