Author Topic: US Congress bans Incandescent bulbs by 2014...  (Read 18757 times)

Rocketman56

US Congress bans Incandescent bulbs by 2014...
« on: December 20, 2007, 05:45:33 AM »
Argh....  Where's the LED bulbs???

Compact Fluorescent bulbs are just as much a bio-hazard as the regular fluorescent bulbs and now
Congress has mandated all the Incandescent bulbs be discontinued..  Guess I better go buy a few
cases until the LED bulbs come on-line... Sigh..     Congress has made such a wonderful mandate
without "thinking" about the recycling issues..  in 822 page bill!!  Big surprise..

http://www.wnd.com/news/article.asp?ARTICLE_ID=59298

Later,
Steve

edited: which Congress!?!
An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life.
Robert A. Heinlein

Ad astra per aspera
"through the thorns to the stars"

Manedwolf

• friend
Re: US Congress bans Incandescent bulbs by 2014...
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2007, 05:50:05 AM »
They're working on LED bulbs with a phosphor coating that causes them to have warm light. Until then, the white ones tend to have the harsh bluewhite glare of a LED flashlight. Unless you want your house to look like Minority Report, I'd wait.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2007, 05:55:16 AM »
By them while they are cheap... bury them in PVC tubes in the backyard.. sell them for big bucks on Ebay after 2020. Smiley

Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

HankB

• friend
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2007, 06:00:30 AM »
I WILL be stocking up . . . the clear (visible filament) bulbs just plain LOOK better in my bathroom lights, the chandelier over my dining room table, the lamps in my ceiling fans, etc.

More and more, our "leaders" are doing things that hurt and annoy regular people . . . and then they wonder why approval of Congress is nearing single-digits.

My additional comments would probably violate the forum rules for armed POLITE society.  angry
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2007, 06:02:34 AM »
I like the stuff this place has. They're $12 each, but so cool in a period fixture.

Edwardian lightbulbs. Carbon loop filament, peaked glass. Not all that bright, a warm, orangeish glow. Put one in a Nantucket wall fixture with a downward-facing shade, and it looks fantastic. The second one is an 1890 type of Edison bulb, which they also sell. (!) They can only be used up or down, not sideways. Unsupported filament.

http://www.rejuvenation.com/fixshowMRB3/templates/selection.phtml?ipb=GA1069

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2007, 06:03:04 AM »
I just replaced another two edison bulbs with CLFs.

I think I now have fewer than 10 edison bulbs in my house, most of which are used very intermittently.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2007, 06:08:27 AM »
As my father said many years ago....

"They're going to legislate us to Heaven, whether we want to go or not."

Anyone notice the balckmarket for regular flow toilets sprung up since they mandated the "Two flush" low-flo toilets Huh?   
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

Thor

• friend
  • US Navy (retired)
« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2007, 06:19:31 AM »
If CFLs were so "Environmentally friendly", people wouldn't NEED legislation to buy and install these bulbs. I have some CFLs outside and I'm less than impressed. They take a LONG time to warm up in the cold MN winters. Also, how many CFLs are three-way bulbs?? How about ones that work with a dimmer??  This is bad legislation, but I suppose that we are supposed to get used to Nanny-Statism imposed by our elected leaders  rolleyes
" a sword never kills anybody; it's a tool in the killer's hand." - Lucius Annaeus

for Military, Vets, & Supporters, check out:
USMILNET

Conservative Discussion Forum

BryanP

• friendly hermit
  • friend
« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2007, 06:25:17 AM »
While I'm not big on legislating them as mandatory I'm a big fan of CF bulbs.  I think the only incandescents in my house (other than specialty bulbs like the one in the back of my stove) would be in the garage and in the attic.   I may replace the garage bulbs one day, but considering how little time I spend in the attic I doubt I'll ever bother with that one.

Hazard schmazard.  They use less power and - more importantly for a couple of hard to reach bulbs - the damn things last forever.  I'm still using the very first CF bulb I bought back when they were expensive.
"Inaccurately attributed quotes are the bane of the internet" - Abraham Lincoln

BryanP

• friendly hermit
  • friend
« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2007, 06:29:14 AM »
They take a LONG time to warm up in the cold MN winters

The warmup period can be useful in some instances.  I replaced the bulbs in the bathroom recently.  They do come on a bit dim and then brighten up after about a minute.  When I need to make a 2am trip to the facilities I kind of like the dim light.  Usually I can finish my bidness and be out of there before they brighten up too much.   grin
"Inaccurately attributed quotes are the bane of the internet" - Abraham Lincoln

MrRezister

• I resist. It's what I do.
  • friend
  • Shank, shank, shank mommy's ankles!
« Reply #10 on: December 20, 2007, 06:34:19 AM »
I've only got a couple of the CF bulbs at my place, and they work just fine for me.  They are a little harsh, but I have them in the bathroom, where I need that surgical-table-type lighting when I'm shaving!  laugh

If CFL's are really all that dangerous, think of the killing I could make if I could get my 100 watt candle design off the ground.

Oh wait, I forgot about the carbon emissioins...
He never brought you an unbalanced budget, which is a perennial joke. He never voted himself a wage increase and, to this day, gives back part of his salary every year. He has always voted to preserve the Constitution, cut government spending, lower healthcare costs, end the war on drugs, secure our borders with immigration reform and protect our civil liberties.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #11 on: December 20, 2007, 06:35:11 AM »
"If CFLs were so "Environmentally friendly", people wouldn't NEED legislation to buy and install these bulbs."

That's really a non-sequitor.

Most people don't still don't think in terms of environmentally friendly.

They think in terms of immediate impact on their wallet.

Conceptually most people understand that over the life of a CFL they're going to save money, but they still have problems parting with $3 to $5 or more for one when an incandescent bulb is under a dollar. Doesn't matter that in the long run the CFL will end up saving them far more than the initial cost of the bulb. I'm a fan of CFLs and I still have issues with spending the money at times.

That's human nature.

"They take a LONG time to warm up in the cold MN winters. Also, how many CFLs are three-way bulbs?? How about ones that work with a dimmer??"

A growing number, actually. I think I may be one of the oddest people on the face of the earth in that I don't have a single 3-way bulb in my house. I don't like them. The only bulbs I have on dimmers are halogens.

As for not working well in the cold, yep, that's a known issue, but it's an issue that's been improving over time. That's one reason why the CLF on my back patio burns 24x7x365, and has been doing so for over 3 years now. I had a regular incandescent on an electric eye, but I was less than happy with its performance.

My biggest angst right now is with a pack of WalMart 75-watt equiv. CFL's that I bought last weekend. I had to replace a table lamp in the living room, and decided I should upgrade to CFLs because I often leave that lamp on for extended periods. Unfortunately, these bulbs have a very, very slight hum to them. Not a problem when I'm sitting on the couch watching TV, but it's more of an issue when I'm sitting on the couch trying to read.

Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #12 on: December 20, 2007, 06:44:34 AM »
"
A growing number, actually. I think I may be one of the oddest people on the face of the earth in that I don't have a single 3-way bulb in my house. I don't like them. The only bulbs I have on dimmers are halogens.

Well I must be the seocnd guy because we don't have any three ways in Casa de la Charby either. I had two torch type lamps for about three years and I got tired of spending the $$$ for new bulbs everytime Kate my lab wacked her tail against the lamp breaking the filament on one of the three ways. Every trip to Big Box Mart always involved buying a new bulb for one of the lamps.

Uranus is a gas giant.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #13 on: December 20, 2007, 06:55:00 AM »
Gotta isolate this....

"we don't have any three ways in Casa de la Charby either."

Oh man, the places someone could go with a statement like that...  grin

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #14 on: December 20, 2007, 07:05:18 AM »
Gotta isolate this....

"we don't have any three ways in Casa de la Charby either."

Oh man, the places someone could go with a statement like that...  grin

Very true.... Smiley

Uranus is a gas giant.

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #15 on: December 20, 2007, 07:30:43 AM »
That's it. I'm installing gas lamps and hydrogen lime-lights.  cheesy

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #16 on: December 20, 2007, 07:45:32 AM »
My Great Aunt, who was born in 1900 and was a teacher for all of her life in a relatively isolated part of Pennsylvania, had working gas lights in her house until the day she died in 1986.

When she moved to the town in 1921 to become a school teacher there was electricity, but it apparently was pretty spotty at times, and continued to be so for many, many years, so she just kept the gas lights and used them as needed.

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #17 on: December 20, 2007, 07:49:05 AM »
I've never seen one still in use, but it's not at all uncommon to find pinched-off gas lines in the walls and where ceiling jet-chandeliers used to be in houses in this area.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #18 on: December 20, 2007, 08:28:40 AM »
I've never seen one still in use, but it's not at all uncommon to find pinched-off gas lines in the walls and where ceiling jet-chandeliers used to be in houses in this area.

My parents rented a victorian era townhouse when they moved back to my homeotwn and most of the rooms still had the pipes associated with gas fixtures in the walls. The made for a handy towel rack in the bathroom when I visited them.

Uranus is a gas giant.

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #19 on: December 20, 2007, 08:31:57 AM »
Just read an interesting concern on a photo board.  If they do away with incandescents, that'll put a lot of photo enlargers out of use. 

Chris

Declaration Day

• friends
« Reply #20 on: December 20, 2007, 09:27:20 AM »
Conceptually most people understand that over the life of a CFL they're going to save money, but they still have problems parting with $3 to $5 or more for one when an incandescent bulb is under a dollar.
That's human nature

I can buy an 8 or 10 pack from Sam's Club or the Home Depot for less that $2 per bulb.  While the energy savings is a bonus, I buy them so that I don't have to change light bulbs very often.  That may sound lazy to some of you, but my house contains 4 people, three dogs and a cat.  I'm busy keeping up with all of them, plus other routine housework, and I still have to run my business, so ANY reduction in home maintenance is a godsend!

BTW I don't have any three-way or dimming lights in my house.

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #21 on: December 20, 2007, 11:54:56 AM »
As my father said many years ago....

"They're going to legislate us to Heaven, whether we want to go or not."

Anyone notice the balckmarket for regular flow toilets sprung up since they mandated the "Two flush" low-flo toilets Huh?   

Got any hard leads?  If you do, PM me, as I absofreakinglutely refuse to install 1.6gal "3 flushes per squat" in any home I own.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

Ryan in Maine

• friend
« Reply #22 on: December 20, 2007, 11:58:31 AM »
http://candlepowerforums.com
^ These folks have the answer to every single question you have about alternatives to incandescent lighting. No joke.

Highly recommended site.

El Tejon

• friend
    • http://www.kirkfreemanlaw.com
« Reply #23 on: December 20, 2007, 12:01:05 PM »
Black market in toilets? rolleyes

Oh, come now, there's no such thing.  Those Canadian toilets in my bathrooms, um, er, just appeared in my contractor's truck. grin
I do not smoke pot, wear Wookie suits, live in my mom's basement, collect unemployment checks or eat Cheetoes, therefore I am not a Ron Paul voter.

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #24 on: December 20, 2007, 12:08:45 PM »
Conceptually most people understand that over the life of a CFL they're going to save money, but they still have problems parting with $3 to $5 or more for one when an incandescent bulb is under a dollar. Doesn't matter that in the long run the CFL will end up saving them far more than the initial cost of the bulb. I'm a fan of CFLs and I still have issues with spending the money at times.

Conceptual is one thing, reality is another.  I have yet to have a single CFL last the advertised time.  They last about as long as incandescents, 'round here.  I have used GE, Philips, and about 4 off-brands in search of a CFL that will not burn out "prematurely."

So, CFL TCO is a whole lot more than incandescents at Casa jfruser.

I really would like to switch CFLs for many of the bulbs in my house, but can not justify it.

I have, however, had success with old-school fluorescent bulbs in some applications.  The recessed fixtures behind the baffle/plastic lens in the kitchen and guest bath were serviced by twin 100 watt rated incandescent sockets.  I tried using CFLs, but they would burn out as often as incandescents and in some cases I really mean burn, as the plastic part of the CFL was somewhat melted & scorched.  Sorry, but no CFLs for THAT application! 

I replaced them with old-style fixtures which have performed much better than incandescents or CFLs.

My incentive is not necessarily tree-huggery or even cost savings, but I need to monitor my current draw.  My electrical box is an ancient Federal Pacific rated for something goddawfully low.  Until I can re-wire some bits and get another box installed, I must soldier on with a box chosen to reflect the use of electricity in 1959.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton