Author Topic: Lessons Learned  (Read 4004 times)

Paddy

Lessons Learned
« on: December 21, 2007, 02:34:14 PM »
This is a thread about things we learn as we go through life.  Some will be simple, others profound.  I think if we pay attention, we can learn something every day.

Today, I learned to make sure you're on the bottom rung before you step backward off a ladder.  In hindsight, that's painfully obvious.  At the time, it wasn't.  Luckily, I only got a charlie horse  and a sprained hand.

What did you learn today?

cosine

• Administrator
Re: Lessons Learned
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2007, 02:49:38 PM »
That three trumpets directly behind me in pep band is the most I can take. Any more and I need musician's earplugs.
Andy

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2007, 03:28:16 PM »
What did I learn today?

I skipped out of work a few hours early and to go muzzleloading for deer on a piece of Skunk River greenbelt I hadn't explored yet and found a neat little place to escape to about 10 minutes from my house.

-C

Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

GigaBuist

• friends
    • http://www.justinbuist.org/blog/
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2007, 05:37:58 PM »
On Tuesday I learned that reporters can find your cell phone number if they think you've got information related to a potential story.

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2007, 06:00:19 PM »

On the working day previous to a five day vacation, leave early.
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2007, 06:11:46 PM »

On the working day previous to a five day vacation, leave early.

better...  leave early the day before the last day before the last day before a 5 day vacation.

I bailed around 1PM yesterday with 4 co workers and we went and made sure our hunting weapons were sighted in.

Anytime time around a holiday the work force is scare where I work, joys of being salaried employees without set hours written in stone.

Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

Creature

« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2007, 11:02:59 PM »
I learned that an Oreck XL 21 vacumn cleaner has the suction power of a category 2 hurricane...

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2007, 03:52:37 PM »
Don't buy your wife original cast recordings.  Or any other form of show-tunes.  Don't do it!    cheesy
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2007, 03:58:11 PM »
Quote from: creature
I learned that an Oreck XL 21 vacumn cleaner has the suction power of a category 2 hurricane...

Did the docs say they'd be able to reattach it Huh? rolleyes rolleyes cheesy grin
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

grislyatoms

• friends
« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2007, 04:04:51 PM »
My lesson learned for this year:

Even the most meticulously prepared plans can be derailed by the most utterly pointless nonsense.
"A son of the sea, am I" Gordon Lightfoot

GeoJAP

« Reply #10 on: December 29, 2007, 04:19:18 PM »
To be more patient with my girlfriend.   sad 

We both are very impatient and we had a misunderstanding earlier today.  A bartender at a bar/restaurant was a jerk when I was trying to watch the Texas-Wisconsin basketball game earlier and I just decided to leave.  She misunderstood what was going on, got a little upset, and then later I got upset when she wouldn't cool down and let me think and find another place to watch the game.  But we always walk away from an argument before it becomes anything where we say something we regret, and come back and talk about it later.  We already talked about it, about what we will do next time differently, and all is well now.  Smiley 

I have a CHL and I decided when I got the license that unless a situation happens that will keep me from going home tonight and providing for my sweetie, I will just leave, since it isn't worth it.  I only argue/fight/make a scene when my life depends on it now.

Antibubba

• friend
« Reply #11 on: December 29, 2007, 10:37:50 PM »
That your body will betray and befuddle you when you least need that to happen,
If life gives you melons, you may be dyslexic.

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #12 on: December 30, 2007, 08:20:37 AM »
My time is finite.

That time is to be used willy-nilly only in the service of family and some friends.  All others get tightly rationed bits.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #13 on: December 30, 2007, 08:23:39 AM »
Never attempt a "simple, 5 minute software update" 10 minutes before you're supposed to go home.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Waitone

• friend
« Reply #14 on: December 30, 2007, 09:07:07 AM »
In the battle of mind and matter, matter will ultimately win.
"Men, it has been well said, think in herds. It will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one."
- Charles Mackay, Scottish journalist, circa 1841

"Our society is run by insane people for insane objectives. I think we're being run by maniacs for maniacal ends and I think I'm liable to be put away as insane for expressing that. That's what's insane about it." - John Lennon

Paddy

« Reply #15 on: December 31, 2007, 05:37:34 AM »
The Chinese can't make a decent screw.  I've been building shelves in the workshop the last few days and bought some woodscrews at Home Depot.  They must be made out of potmetal, because the slots strip right out before they're all the way in.  Then you can't get them in or out.  I got another batch whose heads snapped off.  I took 'em all back and scrounged around the garage until I found some 30 year old drywall screws that work great.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #16 on: December 31, 2007, 05:49:39 AM »
Did you pre-drill?  Are you screwing into real wood, or particle board?  Do the drywall screws have a narrower shaft? 

Paddy

« Reply #17 on: December 31, 2007, 06:03:07 AM »
I did pre-drill, smaller than the screw shaft, though.  Into douglas fir studs.  The drywall screws have a bigger shaft, but are more tapered.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #18 on: December 31, 2007, 06:19:10 AM »
I'd be more inclined to question the size of my pre-drill, than the quality of the screw.  But hey, I wasn't there.   smiley

Paddy

« Reply #19 on: December 31, 2007, 06:23:23 AM »
Well, the 30 year old drywall screws and some big *expletive deleted*ss brass colored screws I found in the garage went into the same pre-drills with no problems.  So, everything else being equal, the problem is the cheapazz Chinee screws.

TF_FH

• friend
« Reply #20 on: December 31, 2007, 06:53:35 AM »
Today, I learned to make sure you're on the bottom rung before you step backward off a ladder.  In hindsight, that's painfully obvious.  At the time, it wasn't.  Luckily, I only got a charlie horse  and a sprained hand.

What did you learn today?

I learned that when trying to get a pidgeon nest out of a roof and you are about 6 feet up on an ladder, it pays to not be easily spooked when a big pidgeon pops out when you thinkg they are all gone.  I jumped back and landed directly on my foot.  Cost me 2 weeks on crutches, and no shoe on that foot for 3 and a half.  I'm damn lucky I didn't break anything, but I did have these neat U shaped black and blue marks at the base of all of my toes.

Chuck Dye

Old age and treachery overcome youth and experience...
« Reply #21 on: December 31, 2007, 07:53:24 AM »
Sheesh!  On a forum spun off from a gunnies' forum, it is necessary to mention hollow ground screwdrivers?

"Old age and treachery"  reared its ugly head too many times this year.  Certainly too many times to count or admit to.

BozemanMT

• friend
« Reply #22 on: December 31, 2007, 08:05:18 AM »
That getting older is pretty much overrated.

That getting married is pretty much underrated (although you must pick wisely  grin )

When your SO says that you should give presents for Christmas what she means is that YOU should give HER presents for christmas. 

Take good care of your teeth, dental work is epxensive and painful when you foul them up.

Getting hurt when you work for yourself is less than optimum.
Brian
CO

From land of the free and home of the brave to land of the fee and home of the slave

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #23 on: December 31, 2007, 10:22:47 AM »
That Florida becomes less (north) American every time I visit.

Seriously. Broward County. B&N's cafe coffee sign outside the cafe area was only in Spanish. Poster ad in the entrance to the bank for credit cards, only in Spanish. Visiting stores, out of 40 or more people passed, only two speaking English, all the rest Spanish.

Oh, yeah, and first time I've ever seen the NO STEP stuff on airplane wings in Spanish as well, now. When did that start? A320. They're hiring ramprats that no habla Ingles?

Paddy

« Reply #24 on: December 31, 2007, 10:32:33 AM »
The neighborhood where I grew up-North Hollywood-is like that now.  People throw their trash up on their roofs and all the storefront signs are in Spanish.