Author Topic: New Year's resolutions  (Read 3065 times)

mtnbkr

• friend
New Year's resolutions
« on: December 27, 2007, 04:46:44 AM »
What's yours?

Mine:

To get my weight solidly below 180lbs (I am about 188lbs now, but I fluctuate between 185 and 190).
To bike at least 2000 miles during the course of the year (I biked about 1500 this year).
To bike at least two centuries (100miles in a day).  (My longest ride this year was just under 70).

Chris

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
Re: New Year's resolutions
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2007, 05:11:21 AM »
To knock an hour off my Iron Cross time from this year.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2007, 06:07:40 AM »
Finish my M14 build.
Finish my AR build.
(Those two have been taking up room in my safe almost all of 2007)
Pay off the credit cards.
Get into position to afford to learn to fly in 2009.
I'm only allowed 2 guns for 2008; excluding the M14 and AR.
(I bought way too many in '07)
Hike 120 miles this year.
(10 miles a month, one day hike on a weekend with my dog should be do-able)
Pick up the guitar again.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

The Viking

« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2007, 08:13:15 AM »
Learn to defend myself without weapons.
Get back to college/university.
Get in shape. I figure I need to get stronger, as well as getting more stamina.
Get a drivers license, both for car and motorcycle. After that I'll steal my dads motorcycle. Its not like he's using it Cheesy
Get a better social life.
More tattoos! I figure that I'll have both arms covered from wrist to shoulder by the end of the year, and I'll be damned if I haven't started on my ribcage or my legs as well Smiley

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2007, 08:16:49 AM »
To get an early start on hating people who make New Year's Resolutions.

Thanks for the jump start!
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Paddy

« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2007, 08:17:50 AM »
Get a job.  undecided

RadioFreeSeaLab

• friend
« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2007, 09:22:47 AM »
Lose weight.
Get out of debt.

I think I can do both this year.

Iain

• friend
« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2007, 09:29:35 AM »
To get an early start on hating people who make New Year's Resolutions.

Thanks for the jump start!

I've never been big on them either.

This year though I intend to renew my commitment to my physical health.

Unfortunately I find January is a really bad time to do this - I go back to the gym after the Christmas break all fired up to beat squat PR's and maybe force myself on to the ergo. And then I find some middle-aged fat guy curling in the squat rack. He does this for two, maybe three weeks, after that I don't see him again.
I do not like, when with me play, and I think that you also

Polishrifleman

• friend
« Reply #8 on: December 27, 2007, 09:44:30 AM »
I'm just finishing a year without French Fries and with 3 young kids and Red Robin at your back door, that is tough.  Who knows what this year will bring, but I am leaning toward hand gun only purchases, finish my shed so I can get reloading, and kill something big and hairy would be good (been skunked the last 2yrs).

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #9 on: December 27, 2007, 02:07:08 PM »
Get a job.  undecided

Me too.
 laugh
I go on our S-corp's payroll in Jan.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

Declaration Day

• friends
« Reply #10 on: December 27, 2007, 02:29:15 PM »
Lose weight.
Get out of debt.

I think I can do both this year.

Same resolutions here, but I'm not as confident as you.  undecided

RadioFreeSeaLab

• friend
« Reply #11 on: December 27, 2007, 03:19:40 PM »
The weight is going to be harder than the debt.  The debt I can handle. 

Declaration Day

• friends
« Reply #12 on: December 27, 2007, 03:48:11 PM »
The weight is going to be harder than the debt.  The debt I can handle. 

It would be just the opposite for me.  Diet pop, less beer, and a daily walk would get me where I want to be in three months or so.  The debt problem involves convincing my wife to get a better career and be more responsible with money.

Losing weight is about 500 times more likely to happen.

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
« Reply #13 on: December 27, 2007, 04:31:50 PM »
As every year, I resolve not to make resolutions.
Avoid cliches like the plague!

BridgeWalker

« Reply #14 on: December 27, 2007, 04:57:34 PM »
Yep, no New Year's resolutions here.  Ongoing lists of goals, and I re-evaluate how I'm doing at the beginning of each school term, so coincidentally in that process right now at New Year's time.  A major goal is to keep a good portion of my focus on goals that will benefit others as well as me.  It's so easy to get caught up in working on things keeping in good physical shape.

Some of my ongoing personal goals:

--Keep my grades up.
--Get in better physical shape/lose some weight.
--Be a more organized parent/spouse.
--Go to mass more regularly.
--Work on writing--lots of ongoing writing projects, some for my daughter, some for my friends.  Most recent new project is a blog on being a woman gun owner.  Haven't done much with it yet, but probably will do a lot over the next several months.  Lots of theological writing, some for eventual publication.
--Be a more helpful friend.  Lots of friends with small kids, and we all help each other out.  I always try to be at least as helpful as they are.
--Keep up frequent visits to parents, in-laws, and my grandmother.  New goal this year is to start calling my sister-in-law.  I don't know her well, but she likes to just chat on the phone.  I'm not a big telephone person, but I'll meet her halfway in teh interest of keeping family as close as possible.
--Keep on practicing practical skills--sewing, car maintenance, thrifty housekeeping, food preservation, shooting.  The newest ones are knitting and reloading.  I don't have time for everything, but I try to at least keep a toe in the water with all those skills.

I do have one time-limited goal: I gotta shoot a 25/25 in trap before summer.  Been working on that one for a couple months now. 

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #15 on: December 27, 2007, 06:08:43 PM »
Just one - to make a NY resolution for 2009 Wink
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

LadySmith

• friends
  • Veni, Vidi, Jactavi Calceos
« Reply #16 on: December 28, 2007, 12:52:23 AM »
Mine are the same I've had so much success with:

1. Collect more critters.
2. Buy more guns.
3. Find more work to support #1 & 2.

grin
Rogue AI searching for amusement and/or Ellie Mae imitator searching for critters.
"What doesn't kill me makes me stronger...and it also makes me a cat-lover" - The Viking
According to Ben, I'm an inconvenient anomaly (and proud of it!).

JonnyB

• friend
« Reply #17 on: December 28, 2007, 04:32:58 AM »
I need to improve things at home. I (single-handedly!) let my marriage go to hell in '07 and am determined to repair the damage over the coming months. After 32 years of married life, you'd think a guy would know better than to screw things up but...

After the grand climax of six or so weeks ago, she and I are gradually making headway. She's hurting pretty badly, though, and it'll take months to heal the emotional and spiritual injuries. I really, really made a mess of things.

Financially, we're in good shape.

I'm 30-35 pounds lighter than 10 years ago ( 5'9" and 170#) and in damn good health at 53 years. In fact, I weigh 20 pounds less than when I graduated high school 35 years ago!

jb
Jon has a long mustache. No, really; he does. Look at that thing!

grampster

• friend
« Reply #18 on: December 28, 2007, 05:47:47 AM »
JonnyB,

Good luck!  If you were the problem, accepting responsibility puts you on the proper path.

You might want to, in trying to win back her confidence, let her know that she might consider that the devil that she knows is better than a new devil that she doesn't.  Be humble and ask for her forgiveness.  Do not lie to her when she asks difficult questions.  Trust me!  If she asks you difficult questions, she already has the answer. 

She will never forget whatever it is that you did, and your relationship may never be the same.  It has the possibility of being even better, actually.  But she can forgive if you are honest with her and genuinely contrite.  The old male adage of never admitting anything is your worst enemy.
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

Paddy

« Reply #19 on: December 28, 2007, 05:51:47 AM »
Dr. Phil, is that you? 

laugh

JonnyB

• friend
« Reply #20 on: December 28, 2007, 08:43:03 AM »
JonnyB,

Good luck!  If you were the problem, accepting responsibility puts you on the proper path.

You might want to, in trying to win back her confidence, let her know that she might consider that the devil that she knows is better than a new devil that she doesn't.  Be humble and ask for her forgiveness.  Do not lie to her when she asks difficult questions.  Trust me!  If she asks you difficult questions, she already has the answer. 

She will never forget whatever it is that you did, and your relationship may never be the same.  It has the possibility of being even better, actually.  But she can forgive if you are honest with her and genuinely contrite.  The old male adage of never admitting anything is your worst enemy.

Grampster:

Yep. I did it all my own self. And, yes, I confessed and told her the whole ugly tale. Easy? No effing way! Yes, there was another woman. Fortunately, she and I never ended up in the sack. *That* would have really made a mess. A friend (and counselor) said, though, that it almost doesn't matter whether it went that far. It's not only in gifts that you can say "It's the thought that counts."

And yes, she *has* forgiven me. You clearly spoke the truth, though, about forgetting. That's the hard part. Time will dull the edge of her pain but the scar will remain. I think the relationship will be good, perhaps better than in the past. You're right on about it not being the same. I was her rock; the one person in the whole universe that she could depend on. And then I let her down. That hit hard and hurt deep. We're working on it, though, and doing well. She has good days and not-so-good days. The good ones are getting better and the bad ones farther apart.

jb
Jon has a long mustache. No, really; he does. Look at that thing!

LadySmith

• friends
  • Veni, Vidi, Jactavi Calceos
« Reply #21 on: January 02, 2008, 01:22:02 AM »
Ok, it's the New Year already...so how are you all holding up with your resolutions?

As for me, I've started the new year with additional critters (2 mice & 2 rats) and this weekend I'm going to sign over 2 paychecks to the gun store. All is going according to plan. grin
Rogue AI searching for amusement and/or Ellie Mae imitator searching for critters.
"What doesn't kill me makes me stronger...and it also makes me a cat-lover" - The Viking
According to Ben, I'm an inconvenient anomaly (and proud of it!).

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #22 on: January 02, 2008, 01:50:47 AM »
I biked 1% of my goal for this year.

I'm down a couple pounds.

Chris

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #23 on: January 02, 2008, 12:18:45 PM »
I just want to lose at least 30 pounds.  That would put me at about 220 near where I was getting out of college.  I think I'll start up by walking, abdominal stuff, and dumb bells.  Jogging would be nice, but not until I get lighter.  The health club can wait a month or two for all the other people to give up on their resolutions (I hope I don't).  Smiley

I guess also to save up some money as well.  That shouldn't be hard since I got rid of all debt but the mortgage over the last year.  I just have to keep from spending all my money on guns and ammo. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #24 on: January 02, 2008, 12:43:15 PM »

I want to come closer to my faith and be more serious about my committments to my beliefs.

I will do so by obtaining more wine, more guns, and more wenches.  Maybe a hat with fur or horns.  Probably something with sharp edges or pointy...  uh, points.
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.