Author Topic: Uh, oops  (Read 6087 times)

BridgeWalker

Uh, oops
« on: January 02, 2008, 06:03:37 PM »
So, here I am, contemplating whether or not I should try to join the military upon graduating law school (that's a whole other topic) and thinking about background checks and things, and I so Google myself, something I haven't done in a while.

I not only Googled my name, but also my handle on various boards--here, THR, shotgunworld, TFL.  You know, the usual.  Smiley

And upon Googling Delta9 I got this:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tetrahydrocannabinol

Apparently Delta9 is a marijuana reference?!?!?   shocked shocked shocked

For the record, I picked delta9 because I like to fly kites and my first kite I got as a teenager than got me into kites was a delta with a nine-foot span.

Now I'm thinking I really, really oughta change names.  Grrr.  Don't know where to start, not to mention that I'll be all anonymous again.  How weird and frustrating.

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
Re: Uh, oops
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2008, 06:20:29 PM »
Delta9?

Your screen-name always reads as THCisKEWL to me...
I promise not to duck.

Bogie

• friend
  • Hunkered in South St. Louis, right by Route 66
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2008, 06:41:07 PM »
April 20, 1984...

The day before I reported for basic...

Dudez, I'm from Kentucky, and we basically sampled the better portions of that cash crop... I showed up at the MEPS likely still buzzed...

Haven't done a hit since.

Blog under construction

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2008, 06:41:58 PM »
Delta9?

Your screen-name always reads as THCisKEWL to me...

I see SmokeyDePot

Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

BridgeWalker

« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2008, 06:45:03 PM »

Reassuring...but I'd be applying direct to JAG, and so direct to officer training.  They are *really* selective.  And even if I don't do military, the Bar Association would just love it, not to mention any firm I apply too. 

Gotta start changing it, across the board.  Er, boards.

BridgeWalker

« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2008, 06:52:48 PM »
So, whaddy'all think of "BridgeWalker"?  In reference, of course, to the annual Mackinac Bridge walk, but also just generally a not too terrible name.

gaston_45

• friend
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2008, 07:54:07 PM »
I had sort of the same thing happen.  I've never smoked the reefer, been in jobs that random tested since I was 15 but when I joined the Marine Corps my entry date was April 20. 

That's right, I joined the Corps on 420, the drill instructors had a field day with that one, as did every SNCO I worked for.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2008, 08:05:07 PM »
My pastor didn't know what "420" meant.  (Neither do I, I just know it's a pot reference.)  And the DMV gave him 420 as the first three in his vehicle tag.  I shouldn't have told him, because it just made him unnecessarily worried about what people would think.  I told him not to worry about it. 
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

BridgeWalker

« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2008, 08:09:31 PM »
Well, I'd be going in right after the July bar, so no worries on that account. Smiley

gaston_45

• friend
« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2008, 08:16:33 PM »
I didn't know what it meant either, which made it even more fun for them I guess.

Matthew Carberry

• Formerly carebear
  • friend
  • Fiat justitia, pereat mundus
« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2008, 09:26:26 PM »
I wouldn't bother.  There's nothing stoner's won't make into a reference.

Don't let them control you.

The interview will disabuse them of any qualms.
"Not all unwise laws are unconstitutional laws, even where constitutional rights are potentially involved." - Eugene Volokh

"As for affecting your movement, your Rascal should be able to achieve the the same speeds no matter what holster rig you are wearing."

Ex-MA Hole

• friend
    • The Brown Bomber
« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2008, 01:18:52 AM »
I changed it.

If you want this thread to go bye-bye, too, just light, er, speak up...

grin
One day at a time.

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2008, 02:19:01 AM »
I changed it.

grin

Is that why his screen name now shows Puff 'Em If You Got 'Em?......
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #13 on: January 03, 2008, 03:09:24 AM »
420 is a reference to the California penal code, or maybe the code cops use to report marijuana use.

All the rock stations around here have a 4:20 break where a bunch of potheads call in and say, "Like, whoa, dude."  One station's DJs are named Baker and Stoney.  Really.
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

Mabs2

• friend
  • セクシー
    • iCarly
« Reply #14 on: January 03, 2008, 03:09:56 AM »
I should go sign up on 4/1 and when it's all done jump up and scream "APRIL FOOL'S"!
Would be hilarous.
Quote from: jamisjockey
Sunday it felt a little better, but it was quite irritated from me rubbing it.
Quote from: Mike Irwin
If you watch any of the really early episodes of the Porter Waggoner show she was in (1967) it's very clear that he was well endowed.
Quote from: Ben
Just wanted to give a forum thumbs up to Dick.

Moondoggie

• friend
« Reply #15 on: January 03, 2008, 05:08:06 AM »
(Right over the top of my head)

I guess I need to get out more....

On a similar note, I stopped at a red light last night in my copmobile and noticed the digits on a plate in front of me were 1047...which is 10-Code for a drunk driver in our state.  I wonder if he knows???
Known from coast to coast, almost!

BridgeWalker

« Reply #16 on: January 03, 2008, 05:29:42 AM »
I changed it.

grin

Nah, no need to erase all evidence...

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #17 on: January 03, 2008, 05:47:40 AM »

Ha, you obviously don't work for the Federal Government. I spent a half an hour in front of the shredder yesterday doing my, "end of the year cleaning".  laugh

I actually thought Delta9 referred to something military or firearms related.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

BridgeWalker

« Reply #18 on: January 03, 2008, 06:17:32 AM »

Ha, you obviously don't work for the Federal Government. I spent a half an hour in front of the shredder yesterday doing my, "end of the year cleaning".  laugh

Well, I can't erase all references intarweb-wide, and so may as well leave an evidentiary trail somewhere.  See, I'm in law school...

Sadly, nope, not military, just a kite thing.  Wish it was military.  It it weird for a 29-year old woman do still be contemplating on joining the Marines?  Yeh, I'd settle for Navy, seeing as how they hire most of the lawyers...

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #19 on: January 03, 2008, 07:12:14 AM »
Sadly, nope, not military, just a kite thing.

Nothing to be sad about there. I just never in a million years would have related it to drugs. If an interviewer brought it up, I would just get a really quizzical look on my face of the, "what the hell are you smokin' " variety.   laugh
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

SteveS

• The Voice of Reason
  • friends
« Reply #20 on: January 03, 2008, 08:46:49 AM »

Reassuring...but I'd be applying direct to JAG, and so direct to officer training.  They are *really* selective.  And even if I don't do military, the Bar Association would just love it, not to mention any firm I apply too. 

Gotta start changing it, across the board.  Er, boards.

I don't believe the Michigan Bar Association looks all that heavily into your internet activity.  Absent any drug-related arrests, I doubt that using a term that is associated with drugs would hurt you.
Profanity is the linguistic crutch of the inarticulate mother****er.

Matthew Carberry

• Formerly carebear
  • friend
  • Fiat justitia, pereat mundus
« Reply #21 on: January 03, 2008, 09:04:17 AM »

Well, I can't erase all references intarweb-wide, and so may as well leave an evidentiary trail somewhere.  See, I'm in law school...

Sadly, nope, not military, just a kite thing.  Wish it was military.  It it weird for a 29-year old woman do still be contemplating on joining the Marines?  Yeh, I'd settle for Navy, seeing as how they hire most of the lawyers...

You could be a female JAG officer in the Marines.  If you're going to join the military, you might as well get a decent uniform. 
"Not all unwise laws are unconstitutional laws, even where constitutional rights are potentially involved." - Eugene Volokh

"As for affecting your movement, your Rascal should be able to achieve the the same speeds no matter what holster rig you are wearing."

BridgeWalker

« Reply #22 on: January 03, 2008, 12:46:33 PM »
You could be a female JAG officer in the Marines.  If you're going to join the military, you might as well get a decent uniform. 

That is what I would like to do.  The question is if I have the heart to leave my daughter for training, my state for several years, a really close friend who is a widower and doesn't really have anyone but us here.  Then the question is if they'd take me.

Strongly leaning towards it. 

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #23 on: January 03, 2008, 03:15:02 PM »
Reserves?
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #24 on: January 03, 2008, 03:31:13 PM »
but I'd be applying direct to JAG, and so direct to officer training.

You do know that JAG is not really like the stupid TV show, its actually a bunch of pencil necked geeks running around stabbing each other in the back trying to make themselves look better than their peers. laugh
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams