Author Topic: Disk Defragmenters  (Read 5932 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Disk Defragmenters
« on: January 09, 2008, 02:45:47 PM »
Anybody want to recommend me a good share/freeware disk defragmenter that does optimized defragmenting in windoze?
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
Re: Disk Defragmenters
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2008, 02:47:17 PM »
Why not use the defrag function in Windows?

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2008, 02:56:38 PM »
It doesn't optimize --i.e., move all files to the front of the drive. It will defrag, but it leaves contiguous files spread all over the drive.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

MrRezister

• I resist. It's what I do.
  • friend
  • Shank, shank, shank mommy's ankles!
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2008, 03:37:36 PM »
I use Auslogic here.  Free, quick and easy.  As to the optimization thing, I'm not completely sure, you might be able to find out.  They also have a registry defragger, but I don't know if those are really necessary.
He never brought you an unbalanced budget, which is a perennial joke. He never voted himself a wage increase and, to this day, gives back part of his salary every year. He has always voted to preserve the Constitution, cut government spending, lower healthcare costs, end the war on drugs, secure our borders with immigration reform and protect our civil liberties.

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2008, 04:20:39 PM »
Anybody want to recommend me a good share/freeware disk defragmenter that does optimized defragmenting in windoze?

A combination of vodka, Mtn Dew and granulated caffeine pills works well for defragmenting Disk. 
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2008, 05:23:47 PM »
Butbutbutbutbutbutbut NTFS doesn't fragment the disk!
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

Brad Johnson

• friend
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2008, 05:31:56 PM »

A combination of vodka, Mtn Dew and granulated caffeine pills works well for defragmenting Disk. 

*snicker*  laugh

Brad
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

Bigjake

• friend
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2008, 06:05:55 PM »
Disk keeper was always good to me, but I haven't used it since getting a new computer and loosing the software.

Sergeant Bob

• friend
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2008, 07:30:38 PM »
I like O&O Defrag free version, available at Major Geeks
Personally, I do not understand how a bunch of people demanding a bigger govt can call themselves anarchist.
I meet lots of folks like this, claim to be anarchist but really they're just liberals with pierced genitals. - gunsmith

I already have canned butter, buying more. Canned blueberries, some pancake making dry goods and the end of the world is gonna be delicious.  -French G

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2008, 01:40:48 AM »

Sounds more like an application for fragging Disk.....  cool
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2008, 06:05:22 AM »

Na, past experience dictates that the best means of fragging Disk is a couple female MP's in full riot gear.  Long story.
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2008, 06:29:30 AM »

Na, past experience dictates that the best means of fragging Disk is a couple female MP's in full riot gear.  Long story.

Like we have anything better to do......  grin
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

Sindawe

• friend
  • Vashneesht
« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2008, 07:41:01 AM »
Butbutbutbutbutbutbut NTFS doesn't fragment the disk!

Yeppers, even Santa and the Easter Bunny agree on THAT point.

I've used Perfect Disk to good effect, dunno if they still have a freeware version.
I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #13 on: January 10, 2008, 07:53:21 AM »
But what's a good way to burn a disk? 
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Paddy

« Reply #14 on: January 10, 2008, 07:58:31 AM »
Windows media player will burn a disk for you, fistful

TF_FH

• friend
« Reply #15 on: January 10, 2008, 09:31:22 AM »
Use a flamethrower.

Brad Johnson

• friend
« Reply #16 on: January 10, 2008, 10:45:47 AM »

Call Irwin.  grin

Brad
-HankB

Paddy

« Reply #17 on: January 10, 2008, 10:46:31 AM »
I'm using Auslogic now.  How do you tell if the disk is not only defragged, but 'optimized'?

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #18 on: January 10, 2008, 12:12:52 PM »
You can tell if it's optimized (even with the windoze defragger) by looking at the graphic report. If optimized, you'll have one or two big chunks (I can never remember if they're blue or green) to the left of the windows defragger graphic (i.e., the front of the drive), and white space to the right. Windows will take out the red fragmented files, but may leave chunks of contiguous files all over the drive that will look like slivers spread all over the graphic.

Some would say it doesn't make that big of a difference, but I believe I see a speed increase on file access on a well defragmented drive.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #19 on: January 10, 2008, 12:22:53 PM »
Windows media player will burn a disk for you, fistful

I was thinking more along the lines of burning it in Mike Irwin's fireplace.   angel

Paddy

« Reply #20 on: January 10, 2008, 12:36:19 PM »
Mike said he doesn't have a fireplace.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #21 on: January 10, 2008, 12:55:42 PM »
That's OK.  We'll put his grill in the living room.

Phyphor

• friend
« Reply #22 on: January 10, 2008, 03:52:42 PM »
You can tell if it's optimized (even with the windoze defragger) by looking at the graphic report. If optimized, you'll have one or two big chunks (I can never remember if they're blue or green) to the left of the windows defragger graphic (i.e., the front of the drive), and white space to the right. Windows will take out the red fragmented files, but may leave chunks of contiguous files all over the drive that will look like slivers spread all over the graphic.

Some would say it doesn't make that big of a difference, but I believe I see a speed increase on file access on a well defragmented drive.

It can make a difference, especially in applications that use many large files, such as games (what with textures, music, sound and level data, )
A true optimization program would have related files contiguous to each other, I.E all windows files together, all office files together, all game files, whatever.

"You know what's messed-up about taxes?
You don't even pay taxes. They take tax.
You get your check, money gone.
That ain't a payment, that's a jack." - Chris Rock "Bigger and Blacker"
He slapped his rifle. "This is one of the best arguments for peace there is. Nobody wants to shoot if somebody is going to shoot back. " Callaghen, Callaghen, Louis La'mour

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #23 on: January 10, 2008, 09:20:09 PM »
That's OK.  We'll put his grill in the living room.

Only if you can get the muzzle of my shotgun out of your mouth...
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #24 on: January 11, 2008, 01:54:15 PM »
No thanks, Mike.  I want to stay defragmented.