Author Topic: Obesity is a lifestyle choice  (Read 9112 times)

CAnnoneer

• friend
Re: Obesity is a lifestyle choice
« Reply #50 on: January 13, 2008, 04:07:15 PM »
What is taters, precious?  grin

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #51 on: January 13, 2008, 06:29:50 PM »
Did Gollum ask that?  I don't recall.  Or maybe you don't know what "tater" means?  Huh? 
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Sergeant Bob

• friend
« Reply #52 on: January 13, 2008, 07:53:26 PM »
I think it's the chicken-fried steak and mashed taters, with the whole plate smothered in gravy, that keeps us going. 

I thought it was snoots that you were fond of in St. Louis. undecided
Personally, I do not understand how a bunch of people demanding a bigger govt can call themselves anarchist.
I meet lots of folks like this, claim to be anarchist but really they're just liberals with pierced genitals. - gunsmith

I already have canned butter, buying more. Canned blueberries, some pancake making dry goods and the end of the world is gonna be delicious.  -French G

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #53 on: January 13, 2008, 08:08:29 PM »
Doesn't everybody like snoots? 

I assume you are referring to pig snouts.  I don't know about that, but you can find pork rinds in most gas stations (or at least some facsimile thereof).  Not my cup of tea.

Oh, and toasted ravioli is supposed to be especially popular around here.  I don't know why they wouldn't be popular everywhere.  Other cities have Italian districts, too.  Besides, have you ever had un-toasted ravioli?  Yuck. 
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Sergeant Bob

• friend
« Reply #54 on: January 13, 2008, 08:27:07 PM »
I lived in O'Fallon, (Illinois, not Missouri) for a few years and some Belleville locals I used to drink with were always talking about stopping off to pick up some snoots. Never got around to trying them myself.
Personally, I do not understand how a bunch of people demanding a bigger govt can call themselves anarchist.
I meet lots of folks like this, claim to be anarchist but really they're just liberals with pierced genitals. - gunsmith

I already have canned butter, buying more. Canned blueberries, some pancake making dry goods and the end of the world is gonna be delicious.  -French G

Bogie

• friend
  • Hunkered in South St. Louis, right by Route 66
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #55 on: January 13, 2008, 08:36:05 PM »
Actually, from a metabolic standpoint, I see obesity as a symptom of either a pre-diabetic condition, or diabetes itself - not the other way around.

In a situation where the majority of food available is high in sugars, the body learns to process and store them more efficiently. So you get a lot more insulin production, funky lipid profiles, etc... Until your body's biological insulin factory blows a gasket, and you either die, or the doctor puts you on a substitute.

I'll wager (nobody knows at the present) that it's going to turn out to be a genetic condition also... If you are in a "normal diet" environment, you may get a trifle pudgy, etc., but if you're in a "mac & cheese every night" environment, where you also run into "feast or famine" situations where the body has no idea when it's going to get fed again, you're gonna have problems.

FWIW, there's a LOT of research into the concept of continuing treatments, but very little toward a cure - not a lot of money in people who don't need meds... And most of the "public" R&D money is going toward political diseases, like HIV or breast cancer.

Blog under construction

GigaBuist

• friends
    • http://www.justinbuist.org/blog/
« Reply #56 on: January 13, 2008, 09:10:15 PM »
I assume you are referring to pig snouts.  I don't know about that, but you can find pork rinds in most gas stations (or at least some facsimile thereof).  Not my cup of tea.

Most pork rinds I've seen contain zero carbs.  Aside from the fat content they're not a horrible snack IMHO.

If you want to lose weight quit eating so much.  My girlfriend is quite overweight and it's just a combination of how much she eats and how little she exercises.  As for myself, I've never been overweight.  I'm currently as fat as I have ever been at 5'9" and 145lbs.  I have a coffee for breakfast.  She has a double-mocha latte and a McMuffin on the way into work.  We order pizza and I eat two slices... she sucks down four of them.

It's just simple math and biology.  When the calories going in exceed those coming out you're going to gain weight.  Once you're heavy your body is going to want those extra calories just to keep its reserves in place.

To her credit she's started working out with my family 2 nights a week.  That's all her work schedule really allows.  My brother, at 6'1" and 210lbs decided it was time to get back in shape and started pushing weights.  When my parents built a new house a year ago they put in a weight room, stocked it up, and gradually we've all found a way to make it over there at 5pm every week night.  My brother dropped to 156lbs within a year but he's back up to a healthy 172lbs now, about half of that gain was pure muscle.  Dad and mom haven't really lost any weight, but they weren't too fat to begin with, just toning up their muscles.  As for me, I'm hoping to get back up to my "fighting" weight of 155lbs and lose a little fat in the process.

It isn't rocket science when it comes to controlling your body.  You get out of it what you put into it.   That isn't to say that genetics never plays a role in it.  Not everybody can run a 4 minute mile, genetics plays a role in that to be sure, but I'd wager that just about as many people are genetically set up to wander around with 40% body fat.  Not many.

CAnnoneer

• friend
« Reply #57 on: January 14, 2008, 08:06:08 AM »
Did Gollum ask that?  I don't recall.  Or maybe you don't know what "tater" means?  Huh? 

The quote is from the second movie. And the name is "Smeagol".  laugh

Iain

• friend
« Reply #58 on: January 14, 2008, 08:11:34 AM »
Spoiling nice fish! Give it to us raw, and wriggling! You keep nasty chips!

Solid advice for your next trip to the English coast. Cept possibly the raw bit, up to you. Definitely not wriggling for me.
I do not like, when with me play, and I think that you also

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #59 on: January 14, 2008, 08:42:15 AM »
Most pork rinds I've seen contain zero carbs.  Aside from the fat content they're not a horrible snack IMHO.

What will surprise you is how few calories they actually have.  They are, after all, mostly air.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB