Author Topic: Are guns your most important political issue?  (Read 9314 times)

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
Are guns your most important political issue?
« on: January 21, 2008, 10:17:30 AM »
Please leave a comment, telling us where guns fit in your list of priorities. 

But can we try to do this without discussing the other issues that are more/less important than guns?  Maybe not.  Anyway, let's try. 
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

AZRedhawk44

• friends
Re: Are guns your most important political issue?
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2008, 10:20:52 AM »
I hold gun rights about on-par with priorities such as preserving the other civil rights, eliminating (entirely) social security and the welfare state, and stopping any perceived "right" to free health care (are doctors slaves?).
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2008, 10:36:16 AM »
Normally were a politican stansds on the 2A gives a good indication of where they stand on other issues that are important to me.  Taxes, reducing government, etc....

No, I am not, nor have I ever been a Paulian.   rolleyes

Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2008, 10:40:43 AM »
The 2nd amendment is the one that would let us get the rest back if they were taken away. Therefore, it's of paramount importance.

If would-be totalitarians have all the guns and the people do not, there isn't much the people can do. And the fact that the people have guns puts off any would-be totalitarians.

wooderson

• friend
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2008, 10:41:07 AM »
Down the list, but my vote never counts so that aspect is irrelevant.
"The famously genial grin turned into a rictus of senile fury: I was looking at a cruel and stupid lizard."

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2008, 10:49:34 AM »
Top of the list, mostly because gun rights are a pretty good indicator of how a candidate feels about citizens in general.  In short, I don't trust any politician who doesn't trust me with a gun  laugh
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

HankB

• friend
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2008, 11:13:10 AM »
Gun rights are a pretty good litmus test of how well a candidate's views mesh with mine on other issues; certainly, it's not a 100% reliable indicator, but if I learn at the outset someone is an "anti" then there's really no reason to look closer at his resume.

Likewise, if someone is pro-RKBA, then he's worth a closer look.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

jefnvk

• friend
  • I'll sleep away the days and ride the nights...
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2008, 11:19:43 AM »
Its on pare with a few others.  The biggest thing I use it for, it is an issue I know well.  I can use it to analyze how a candidate approaches an issue.
I still say 'Give Detroit to Canada'

gunsmith

• I forgot to get vaccinated!
  • friend
  • I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.
« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2008, 11:23:57 AM »
good topic!

With me RKBA  issues are the deciding factor.
It drives my "meatspace" friends crazy sometimes.
For me, voting for a gungrabber is like voting for someone who wants to ban newspapers.

My terrible dilemma is how do we keep Hilary Obama out while keeping McCain out too?
It looks like Romney or McCain will get the nod angry
Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."

Paddy

« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2008, 12:05:30 PM »
The 2nd amendment is the one that would let us get the rest back if they were taken away. Therefore, it's of paramount importance.

Not against the superior weapons of the standing military today. All we've got are small arms; we'd be dogmeat real quick.  In theory, we could fight a protracted guerilla war, but in reality we don't have the courage or stamina for it.

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2008, 12:07:07 PM »

Not against the superior weapons of the standing military today. All we've got are small arms; we'd be dogmeat real quick.  In theory, we could fight a protracted guerilla war, but in reality we don't have the courage or stamina for it.

Yes, they'd use the superior weapons to destroy all 200 million or more standing home structures that might contain someone fighting back. Right.

Paddy

« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2008, 12:12:44 PM »
You're right.  We'd all grab our AW's, drive our SUV's to D.C. surround 'em, smoke 'em out and pick 'em off.   laugh

wooderson

• friend
« Reply #12 on: January 21, 2008, 12:37:57 PM »
In the event that our national government suddenly turned EVIL, it would require the support of the military apparatus (fairly representative of the country, though it votes overwhelmingly GOP, wouldn't you say) and at least a majority of the population. At which point the cause is lost.

There are many reasons to own guns, but fighting off the black helicopters ain't one.
"The famously genial grin turned into a rictus of senile fury: I was looking at a cruel and stupid lizard."

ilbob

• friend
    • Bob's blog
« Reply #13 on: January 21, 2008, 12:41:05 PM »
In the event that our national government suddenly turned EVIL, it would require the support of the military apparatus (fairly representative of the country, though it votes overwhelmingly GOP, wouldn't you say) and at least a majority of the population. At which point the cause is lost.

There are many reasons to own guns, but fighting off the black helicopters ain't one.
I am inclined to agree it would be very difficult to get the US military to turn on us citizens in any major way, especially since such a large part of it is reservists and national guardsmen.

Guns and taxes are were I look. If a candidate votes to let me keep both my guns and my money, he or she can't be all bad.
bob

Disclaimers: I am not a lawyer, cop, soldier, gunsmith, politician, plumber, electrician, or a professional practitioner of many of the other things I comment on in this forum.

wooderson

• friend
« Reply #14 on: January 21, 2008, 12:41:32 PM »
Or, to put it another way, where have we seen a successful popular counter-revolution against a tyranny that came to power through primarily political means (rather than civil war or revolution)?

thebaldguy

• friends
« Reply #15 on: January 21, 2008, 01:20:46 PM »
I think the 2nd is important; I think there are other important political issues as well. If our economy gets bad, how will we afford to go to gun shows and shops?

Archie

• friend
  • Galactic Effectuator
« Reply #16 on: January 21, 2008, 04:01:22 PM »
Gun ownership is my primary concern.  However, in the reality of things, a few other considerations are a close second and cannot be ignored.

My importance order is roughly:

Constitutional integrity and civil rights listed in the Bill of Rights.

Rampant taxation.

Rampant 'regulation'.

The twin National Security factors of illegal immigration and Islamofascism.

The 'economy'.
As long as the citizens of the United States own and keep personal weapons, we can argue about all the other issues that concern us.  The instant we lose the ability to keep weapons, our masters will decide all those other issues for us.

Dntsycnt

• friend
« Reply #17 on: January 21, 2008, 04:28:49 PM »
The 2A is important, but not as important as freedom of speech.

If we don't have freedom of speech, we're screwed.  Fixing things politically becomes impossible.  The only option left is violence, which I wish to avoid as much as possible.

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #18 on: January 21, 2008, 04:34:17 PM »
RKBA is the canary in the mine. 

It doesn't mean that there are no other problems in a particular policritter, but lack of support for RKBA is disqualifying, IMO.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

JimMarch

• friend
« Reply #19 on: January 21, 2008, 05:32:31 PM »
RKBA and fair elections are the two biggest, followed in VERY close order by the rest of our civil rights.

A big "canary in the coal mine" is where we stand on the ability to encrypt our electronic data.  We lose that, we lose the right to PRIVATE speech and privacy in general.  The wiretapping/Patriot Act abuses now being uncovered are a pointer to huge problems by the very same crowd at the executive branch that just supported DC with an amicus.

That said, the Clinton regime sucked even worse than the present on electronic freedom issues.

Y'all should pay attention to a group called the Electronic Frontier Foundation, basically a geek version of the ACLU except that they have NEVER disrespected the 2A the way the ACLU does.

While we're at this from a geek point of view: watch out for Microsoft.  They've put massive lobbying into gov't support for a number of bad practices, while building security back doors for the Fedgov right into their products.

Worse, the entire concept of "security by obscurity" is a verified failure, with MS being the biggest (by FAR) supporter.  This has crossed over into electronic voting.  The biggest electronic voting system vendor is Microsoft - not directly, but Windows is at the core of all the current crop of crapware masquerading as voting systems...and to preserve that, they're blocking open-source alternatives.  Electronic voting to Microsoft is part of their PR war against Linux/*BSD/etc...

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #20 on: January 21, 2008, 06:00:56 PM »
If a politician doesn't support the RBKA with out restrictions for law abiding citizens then what other rights to they want to take away?

Gun Rights is a big part of how I vote.

Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

CAnnoneer

• friend
« Reply #21 on: January 21, 2008, 08:56:21 PM »
I am the real cultural warrior (Papa O'Riley is a pink creampuff next to me). RKBA is just one of the major fronts of a much bigger struggle for our very existence as a free individualistic meritocratic society.

wooderson

• friend
« Reply #22 on: January 21, 2008, 09:08:25 PM »
I don't view guns as a cultural issue (because I'm not exactly part of the 'gun culture') or a harbinger of anything greater. Don't care about the Second Amendment or pretending that there are God-given rights or any of that.

I like guns. They're fun, they're useful, and sometimes they're aesthetically pleasing. I view mine as expensive and serious toys, and on some level a modern 'martial art.'

My attitude is grounded in pragmatism and basic civil libertarianism - guns can't harm anyone on their own and the possession of them doesn't infringe on the freedom of any other person. Throw in a complete dearth of research isolating firearms as a contributing factor to crime, and gun control is a non-starter.

LAK

• friend
« Reply #23 on: January 22, 2008, 03:09:10 AM »
Second. First is foreign treaties and agreements.

Because foreign treaties and agreements are a greater and more imminent threat to our gun rights than any of the current domestic gun rights issues.

-----------------------------------

http://searchronpaul.com
http://ussliberty.org
http://ssunitedstates.org

Ex-MA Hole

• friend
    • The Brown Bomber
« Reply #24 on: January 22, 2008, 03:28:12 AM »
The 2nd ammendment dictates how I vote.

They don't trust me, I don't trust them.
One day at a time.