Author Topic: Are guns your most important political issue?  (Read 9315 times)

Manedwolf

• friend
Re: Are guns your most important political issue?
« Reply #25 on: January 22, 2008, 03:46:14 AM »
The 2A is important, but not as important as freedom of speech.

If we don't have freedom of speech, we're screwed.  Fixing things politically becomes impossible.  The only option left is violence, which I wish to avoid as much as possible.

Again, if they take away the freedom of speech and they have guns, and you don't, what are you gonna do about it?

Dntsycnt

• friend
« Reply #26 on: January 22, 2008, 05:02:52 AM »
Well, yeah...I'm not saying I'd toss out my guns if told I could still openly bash the government, but I think the first amendment is at least as important.  What good are your guns for use against a tyrannical government if you've been raised to zealously believe in the State, and have never read a word of Orwell, Jefferson, or any of the founding fathers and free-thinkers?

On the other hand, you can't exactly back up your dissent without arms.  But if it comes time to use weapons against the government, there's always getting them illegally, making them, stealing them, etc...

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #27 on: January 22, 2008, 05:07:42 AM »
If there was a choice between one and two, that's what I'd click. I chose "most important" only because like others here, I find a politician's stance on the 2nd an incredibly good indicator on how he/she stands on other issues that are very important to me.

Edited way late for spelling
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #28 on: January 22, 2008, 08:28:17 AM »
You're right.  We'd all grab our AW's, drive our SUV's to D.C. surround 'em, smoke 'em out and pick 'em off.   laugh

There's two concepts that come to mind that are much more realistic than the "million gun march" on D.C. that seems to arise on the boards from time to time, either in earnest but naive origins, or in jest as more of a reductio ad absurdum.

First, a page of the play book leftist/environmentalist/anti-WTO/kumbyah set. "Think globally, act locally." Translated into anti-totalitarian RKBA tactics, it means the local low-level officials are either too terrified to enact the dictates of D.C., or dead. It's obviously no gaurantee of success, but it levels the playing field immensely.

Second, the other is "MAD" from the cold war. In our terms it means, "Yes, Joe-six-pack RKBA believer won't 'win', but if enough of them are angry, the U.S. will devolve into balkanization, or become a Somaliaesque 'failed state'." And thus, both sides at least have a vested interest in maintaining the status-quo of our battered, but still functioning Constitutional Republic.
I promise not to duck.

Sergeant Bob

• friend
« Reply #29 on: January 22, 2008, 09:13:58 AM »
Guns are the litmus test.
Personally, I do not understand how a bunch of people demanding a bigger govt can call themselves anarchist.
I meet lots of folks like this, claim to be anarchist but really they're just liberals with pierced genitals. - gunsmith

I already have canned butter, buying more. Canned blueberries, some pancake making dry goods and the end of the world is gonna be delicious.  -French G

Werewolf

• friend
  • Lead, Follow or Get the HELL out of the WAY!
« Reply #30 on: January 22, 2008, 09:56:20 AM »
RKBA is most important.

Once that right is gone the others will be departing soon after.
Life is short, Break the rules, Forgive quickly, Kiss slowly, Love
truly, Laugh uncontrollably, And never regret anything that made you smile.

Fight Me Online

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #31 on: January 22, 2008, 02:30:04 PM »
If there was a choice between one and two, that's what I'd click. I chose "most important" only because like others here, I find a politician's stance on the 2nd and incredibly good indicator on how he/she stands on other issues that are very important to me.

+1.

Although I rate border security issues a close second to RKBA and related civil rights issues, I honestly think the greatest threat isn't the evil bad guys from afar but the homegrown statists. From Londonesque surveillance to the war on drugs, I'm with Lewis all the way.
Quote from: C. S. Lewis
Of all tyrannies, a tyranny exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

Scott

« Reply #32 on: January 22, 2008, 05:31:55 PM »
I have always looked at a candidates views on the 2nd, in the last few years it has become the most important thing I look at when deciding on who to vote for. A small part of it is I like evil black rifles quite a bit but more important is it is a good indicator what respect they will give the rest of our human rights. If they only give lip service to the 2nd ( Mc Cain, Bush the elder, Clinton, Kerry)  they will tend to be willing to infringe on the others such as the 1st (McCain again, Bush the younger) or the 4th ( Bush) and all of them stomp on the 9th and 10th every chance they get. It's one of the reasons I have tended to vote Libertarian anytime I have a choice on my ballot. I look at taxes and some other stuff also but that is a pretty small part of my decision.

Tecumseh

• friend
« Reply #33 on: January 22, 2008, 05:59:46 PM »
The 2A is important, but not as important as freedom of speech.

If we don't have freedom of speech, we're screwed.  Fixing things politically becomes impossible.  The only option left is violence, which I wish to avoid as much as possible.

Again, if they take away the freedom of speech and they have guns, and you don't, what are you gonna do about it?

Well I often wonder why the Founding Fathers put that freedom of speech thing first. 

And guns work most of the time but sometimes revolts happen without them.  India and the civil rights movement come to mind.

Mabs2

• friend
  • セクシー
    • iCarly
« Reply #34 on: January 22, 2008, 06:39:55 PM »
I consider it equal with the rest of the Bill of Rights, even though I consider it a tad more important, as I believe it's the right that protects the other rights.
Or some such.
So I try not to let that one subject dictate all my decisions.
Quote from: jamisjockey
Sunday it felt a little better, but it was quite irritated from me rubbing it.
Quote from: Mike Irwin
If you watch any of the really early episodes of the Porter Waggoner show she was in (1967) it's very clear that he was well endowed.
Quote from: Ben
Just wanted to give a forum thumbs up to Dick.

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #35 on: January 23, 2008, 01:40:25 AM »
If a politician can't understand a part of the Constitution as simply & clearly written as the Second Amendment, I have concerns about his/her understanding of the entire document.......
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

Antibubba

• friend
« Reply #36 on: January 25, 2008, 10:49:26 PM »
Four years ago I would have been "Absolutely!! 100%!!!" 

Now I look at other factors, like the descent into fascism--of which gun control is a critical part.
If life gives you melons, you may be dyslexic.

Finch

• Fading Freedoms
« Reply #37 on: January 25, 2008, 11:16:27 PM »
RKBA is most important.

I use to agree with that sentiment, but lately I think that they are going after the other ones first. Detention without counsel, Warrantless searches and wiretaps, McCain-Feingold, etc. It seems they attack others full force, but just slowly chip away at the 2nd amendment. Maybe by doing that it will be harder to fight when they finally try an outright attack on the 2nd.
Truth is treason in the empire of lies - Ron Paul

Silver Bullet

• friend
« Reply #38 on: January 26, 2008, 06:52:48 AM »
Most Important

That's the litmus test issue.  If a politician isn't on the right side of RKBA, I don't consider him as a candidate.  I then look at the other issues, but only regarding the politicians who passed the RKBA test.

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #39 on: January 29, 2008, 01:59:17 PM »
RKBA is the most important issue, but not the most pressing.
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

Tecumseh

• friend
« Reply #40 on: January 29, 2008, 06:08:16 PM »
RKBA is most important.

I use to agree with that sentiment, but lately I think that they are going after the other ones first. Detention without counsel, Warrantless searches and wiretaps, McCain-Feingold, etc. It seems they attack others full force, but just slowly chip away at the 2nd amendment. Maybe by doing that it will be harder to fight when they finally try an outright attack on the 2nd.
  My thoughts as well.  The current administration has destroyed what this country was about.  The Bill of Rights is a "goddamn piece of paper" according to Bush.