Author Topic: I quit smoking  (Read 3821 times)

RaggedClaws

• friend
I quit smoking
« on: July 20, 2005, 07:02:10 AM »
I quit smoking on Monday night.  Haven't had a puff since.  This is the longest I've gone without a cigarette since college (about 14 years).  I'm going to succeed, I've told myself that failure is not an option!  Last night was rough though, my poor wife!  It doesn't help that it's like a hundred degrees with a hundred and ten percent humidity (we only have a/c in the bedroom).

What's my motivation?  My wife and I are expecting our first child at the end of August.  I don't want my daughter's daddy to smell like smoke the way my daddy always did.  My wife quit cold turkey right after she found out she was pregnant, and never put any pressure on me at all.  She got over it, and I know I will too (I just keep telling myself that, heh heh).

Anybody else struggling?  Any successful quitters out there?  I need all the support and advice I can get...

Big_R

• friend
I quit smoking
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2005, 07:34:35 AM »
There's tons of boards dedicated to just this thing.  None of them helped me.  Here's what I did:

Come up with a good reason to quit (you already did).
Keep a reminder of that reason with you (ultrasound photo or toy you bought for the little one).
Take the money you're not spending on smokes and put it somewhere secret (put $20.00/week or whatever in a box, you'll use this later).
Tell the people you smoke with and the people you hang with that you're quitting and will beat them up if they pressure you.
Start exercising if you don't already.  Cardio is best.  I could only run about a half a mile when I quit smoking.  Track your results.
Stick with it.

After you've been smoke free for a few months, take the money you would have spent on smokes and spend it on the Mrs.  She'll appreciate it, mine did.

Ryan

BobCat

I quit smoking
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2005, 08:00:51 AM »
I quit Tuesday, June 24th, 1997.  Felt a little lump in the roof of my mouth, got scared, it turned out to be nothing, but I decided that the pleasure I got from smoking was not worth the fear of what I might have done to myself.

My brother, who smoked two packs of Camels a day for 35 years, said to himself, "If Andrew can do it, I sure can do it" and quit too, in August of '97.  Neither of us has smoked since.

You are doing yourself, your wife, and your child a great favor.

For me, the key was that it was *my choice* to smoke or not to smoke.  There is something in this about free will - your assertion that you will choose what you will do, and no physical addiction will tell you what to do, or make you do something you choose not to do.

Off my soapbox now.  Best of luck to you.  Strength when you need it, and if you need to vent or just discuss, feel free to e-mail.

Regards,
Andrew

Sergeant Bob

• friend
I quit smoking
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2005, 10:31:11 AM »
I quit on March 10th of this year. Here's how I did it (long story but should help provide motivation).

How I quit smoking (a cautionary tale)

I was dog tired and my eyelids were starting to droop. I swear I hadn't slept for over an hour straight in at least a month and I was fighting a real bad cold. My neck and shoulders had been aching for a months and I'd been taking ALOT of aspirin. I'd delivered my load of molten aluminum to my customer in Sturtevant, Wi at 3 AM and made it back down to the Indiana line on I-90 at 4:30 AM or so. I pulled through the toll booth and parked my truck on the shoulder to take a little nap before continuing, then two and a half hours and I'd be home, take some Alka Seltzer Plus and get some sleep. I set my sleep timer for a half hour and layed my pillow against the door and dozed off.

I don't even remember the timer going off, but was awakened by my phone ringing. It was my dispatcher, Lisa, and it was about 6:30 AM. She was wondering where I was, as I was due back in Coldwater in about 30 minutes and they needed to use my truck for another load. I told her my location and that I was taking off right away.

About an hour later the phone rang again. It was Lisa, and I was still sitting at the toll booth. I told her I was hitting the road right away but fell asleep again. I think I woke up about 8:30, put the truck in gear and headed for home.

Shortly after I was rolling the phone rang yet again. When I went to answer it, I dropped it on the floor and couldn't find it while driving. I'd wait until I found a safe place to pull over to find the phone and call Lisa back.

I was almost to I-80 when I heard on the CB that there was a big accident blocking the Eastbound lanes of the toll road, so I diverted to I-94 to go around the problem.

Everything was starting to get hazy and I was starting to become confused. I was started to get worried. I'd never felt like this before and I knew something was seriously wrong with me. I pulled into the first truckstop and parked it. I found my phone and decided to call Lisa. I knew I should call 911 but in my confusion wasn't sure I'd be able to direct an ambulance to me. My mind felt like it was turning on and off. I knew if I could tell Lisa where I was that she'd take care of me. She called the MI State Police who in turn patched her through to the IN State Police, then the Porter County Sheriff's office. She explained the situation to them and told them where I was. She kept me on the line and kept me talking while I waited. I think she saved my life.

I was still on the phone with her when two Porter County Sheriff cars and an ambulance arrived. One of the paramedics asked me if I could get out of the truck on my own and walk to the back of the ambulance (about 10 feet), then sit down on the back floor and they'd take care of everything from there. I sat down on the back step of the ambulance and that is the last thing I remember.

All this happened on Mar 10. I had double pneumonia and was going into Septic Shock, which was causing my organs to shut down. The doctors said when I arrived at E.R. I  talked to them for about ten minutes then went into acute respiratory failure ( if Lisa hadn't kept me talking and awake I think it might have happened while I was waiting for the ambulance). I woke up on Mar 16, when I could finally breath on my own after being taken off the respirator. The first thing I remember after that was when they pulled the catheter out (now that's a waker upper!).

A total of two weeks in the hospital and an additional two and a half months before I was able to go back to work.

35 years of smoking, bronchitus many times (and probably pneumonia a few of those times), never went to the doctor for it. Just take some cold medicine and it'll be over in a few days. Always felt fine when I got over it (didn't think I was scarring the crap out of my lungs). I always joked about how I'd only go to the doctor if I was dieing. Turns out it was not a joke.

The doctors told me I had two choices. Stop smoking, or die.

The Nicoderm patch works really well.

Don't let this be you. I hope someone will learn from my stupid mistakes.

P.S. The whole ordeal was actually alot harder on my family than it was on me.
Think about them.
Personally, I do not understand how a bunch of people demanding a bigger govt can call themselves anarchist.
I meet lots of folks like this, claim to be anarchist but really they're just liberals with pierced genitals. - gunsmith

I already have canned butter, buying more. Canned blueberries, some pancake making dry goods and the end of the world is gonna be delicious.  -French G

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
I quit smoking
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2005, 01:39:51 PM »
However you quit, the best of luck to you. At least you're quitting before a doctor gives you the "either-or" option, as has happened to many people I know.

thebaldguy

• friends
I quit smoking
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2005, 02:08:27 PM »
I just started taking zyban for quitting. In Minnesota, they are going to raise the tax on smokes 75 cents a pack making the cost of cigs five bucks a pack.

That is my motivation for quitting. I refuse to give this state any more in tax revenue as they will only waste it.

Several of my older family members have died from smoking related causes. I just turned 40 and I want to live for a while.

My girlfriend is great support. I want to give this up after 20 years.

I quit smoking
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2005, 02:54:30 PM »
November 27, 2000 here.

Great way to start fatherhood, Dad. Smiley

Winston Smith

• friends
  • Cheaper than a locksmith
    • My Photography
I quit smoking
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2005, 03:55:25 PM »
January 31st at 12:18pm... saw my girlfriend, tasted my mouth, looked at the color of my skin... wanted to be better.

It's the hardest thing I have ever done, and the most rewarding. Definitely totally worth it. I'll have six months in a couple weeks.

Dont think you quit smoking, instead imagine yourself as a nonsmoker. Always. Constantly.

YOU ARE NOW A NONSMOKER.

Congratulations.
Jack
APS #22
I'm eighteen years old. I know everything and I'm invincible.
Right?

RaggedClaws

• friend
I quit smoking
« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2005, 03:57:09 AM »
Thanks for all your support!  I really appreciate it  Cheesy

I've told everybody that knows I smoke that I've quit.  Not that I'm trying to quit, but that I've quit.  Totally and completely.  The last couple days have been hard, but every morning, every time I look in the baby-to-be's closet and see those cute little newborn outfits, I gain more strength.  

I've been getting the shakes, headaches, dry mouth, muscle tightness and twitches (especially in the neck and face), I'm irritable and I'm having trouble focusing.  But ya know what?  It's getting better, and I know a week from now, it'll be even better.

Ultimately, I'm doing this for me (not just for the baby).  I have to.  My dad had a massive coronary at 48, which the doctor directly attributed to his 2+ pack-a-day habit.  Granted I got my smoking down to about half a pack day, but no-packs-a-day is even better Smiley  Health, and the fact that I don't like being a slave to the habit.  Nicotine was the only other thing besides water, that I couldn't live without for three days.  That was a disturbing realization.  

Thanks again, you all!  Anybody reading this that is considering quitting.  Just do it.  Why not?  I couldn't think of any good reason to continue paying $7.50 a pack (yes, you heard that right) for a habit that is detrimental to my personal well being.  Style?  Coolness?  Fitting in?  Ugh, those reasons all suck.

Stickjockey

• friend
I quit smoking
« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2005, 08:24:31 AM »
Not that I'm trying to quit, but that I've quit.
As in anything one does, that little change in POV can make all the difference in the world.

Rock on!
APS #405. Plankowner? You be the judge.
We can't stop here! This is bat country!!

thebaldguy

• friends
I quit smoking
« Reply #10 on: August 09, 2005, 02:13:00 PM »
It's been a couple of weeks since I've had a cig. I have to say that the Zyban(wellbutrin) helps. This quitting has been easier and better that quitting cold turkey times before. The last smoke I had tasted funny; the Zyban does that. Less of an urge to smoke, really haven't missed it too much. Started breathing better within 24-48 hours of quitting. I felt better on the soccer pitch Saturday afternoon. Don't wheeze in my sleep, don't cough in the morning. Replaced the morning jump start smoke with an extra cup of coffee. Not as quick, but it helps get me going in the morning. So far, so good. Oh, did I mention that smokes are almost five bucks a pack in Minnesota now? That's a 50 round box of 9mm ammo. That helps me quit too.

I think I can quit this time. I'm gonna try!

I quit smoking
« Reply #11 on: August 09, 2005, 03:54:26 PM »
You've got it kicked, if you've gotten this far. Just don't pick up another one and you'll be fine.

The time between cravings spreads out so far, eventually, it'll be months and then it'll just go away.

It takes a lot of strength to quit. You did good.

Lt. G

I quit smoking
« Reply #12 on: August 09, 2005, 05:25:11 PM »
Congrats my friend, I gave up the cancer sticks after my Honorable discharge from the Army in 1980.

I did it cold turkey and it was a bear. I did it and so will you.

Peace, Lt. G

Sylvilagus Aquaticus

• friend
    • http://profiles.yahoo.com/sylvilagus
I quit smoking
« Reply #13 on: August 09, 2005, 07:09:15 PM »
Good on ya.  

I saw my late mother in law smoke through her tracheotomy tube before her death at 46 after she got off a ventilator.  My father passed away 3 weeks ago of lung cancer, and his wife died 3 years ago of LC as well.  As a former oncology nurse, I can say categorically and without reservation you're doing yourself and your family a great service by stopping smoking now.

Your children will be healthier.

Food is going to taste better.

Flowers and your wife's cooking is going to smell better.

You're going to save money to spend on your family...and on ammo.

Your laundry is going to be cleaner.

Your vehicles will have more resale value.

I'm proud you're getting that damned monkey off your back.

Regards,
Rabbit.
To punish me for my contempt for authority, fate made me an authority myself.
Albert Einstein

Scix

I quit smoking
« Reply #14 on: August 09, 2005, 11:06:42 PM »
Something that helped a family member of mine was to buy a box of toothpicks and carry it wherever you used to carry your cigs.  When you feel like you want a smoke, you pull a toothpick out of your pocket and stick it in your mouth.  Sometimes just doing the motions is enough to stop the craving.

-Scix[\6]

RaggedClaws

• friend
I quit smoking
« Reply #15 on: August 10, 2005, 04:20:37 AM »
Toothpicks, absolutely!  I carry around a little pack of them, and they help immensely with the urge to hold something and put it in my mouth.  They are an absolute lifesaver.

So far so good, everyone.  Cold turkey on the evening of July 18th, and I haven't had a cigarette since.  It is getting easier, but the first week or so SUCKED, but I stuck to my guns.  The insomnia, sweats, and chest constriction were the worst, but they are all subsiding now.  I like smelling good and not spending $7.50 a pack when I'm in the city for work (that's more than I usually spend on my lunch).

I have been quit for 3 Weeks, 1 Day, 11 hours, 49 minutes and 1 second (22 days). I have saved $91.09 by not smoking 269 cigarettes. I have saved 22 hours and 25 minutes of my life.

brimic

• friends
I quit smoking
« Reply #16 on: August 10, 2005, 04:36:48 AM »
Atta boy!

Sunflower seeds work wonders.

Stay away from junkfood, you will get fat fast. Ask me how I know  :/
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

RaggedClaws

• friend
I quit smoking
« Reply #17 on: August 10, 2005, 05:11:34 AM »
I hear ya.  I've definitely been eating more than I should.  Two breakfasts and dessert after dinner (usually chocolate chip cookies, gosh, how I love chocolate chip cookies).  I've put on 5-10 pounds, but that's not bad for me because I was pretty skinny to start out with (185 lbs, 6'4").  I work out alot (karate), so I'm not too worried about the over-eating... yet.

grampster

• friend
I quit smoking
« Reply #18 on: August 10, 2005, 12:49:00 PM »
If you don't have another good reason to quit smoking, consider that you're going to need the cig money to pay for gas for the car.
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

Standing Wolf

• friend
I quit smoking
« Reply #19 on: August 10, 2005, 01:52:47 PM »
Hey! Cut it out! I'm trying to make up for all you quitters, but my throat just won't take it any more.
No tyrant should ever be allowed to die of natural causes.

I quit smoking
« Reply #20 on: August 10, 2005, 01:54:59 PM »
When I quit the nurse said you can gain 60 lbs. and still be as healthy as you are smoking.

I've still got a few pounds to work with!

Antibubba

• friend
I quit smoking
« Reply #21 on: August 10, 2005, 03:05:27 PM »
If you think your claws were ragged before, just wait until you've been chewing on them all day. Wink

Good luck.
If life gives you melons, you may be dyslexic.

RaggedClaws

• friend
I quit smoking
« Reply #22 on: August 11, 2005, 04:51:50 AM »
That's what I've been using toothpicks to avoid Smiley  

There is a trade-off though: well-kept nails for splinters in the tongue (yes, that does actually happen on occasion).

I quit smoking
« Reply #23 on: August 12, 2005, 12:52:02 AM »
I just passed the two-week mark myself.

I quit simply because of the fact that i actually had to quit if i wanted to not smoke. The fact that if i was starving and out of smokes, i would have purchased cigarettes before food was enough for me. I dont like actually being dependant on something that serves no real purpose. It got a lot better after the first week. I still occassionally *want* a cigarette, but want is a different thing from need, and much easier to manage. I do find myself with occassional 5-10 minute blocks of time in which i dont know what to do with myself though, and i will still pat my pocket looking for the pack that isnt there.