Author Topic: Tentative economic stimulis deal reached...  (Read 15154 times)

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
Tentative economic stimulis deal reached...
« on: January 24, 2008, 08:21:10 AM »
Individual tax payers will get a max of $600, couples a max of $1,200.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

MrRezister

• I resist. It's what I do.
  • friend
  • Shank, shank, shank mommy's ankles!
Re: Tentative economic stimulis deal reached...
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2008, 08:30:48 AM »
Will the bill come with legislation making it mandatory for me to spend that "refund" on something I don't need.  I know saving it would be the worst possible thing for "the economy"...
He never brought you an unbalanced budget, which is a perennial joke. He never voted himself a wage increase and, to this day, gives back part of his salary every year. He has always voted to preserve the Constitution, cut government spending, lower healthcare costs, end the war on drugs, secure our borders with immigration reform and protect our civil liberties.

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2008, 08:31:25 AM »
Unless they make over $75,, in which case they're excluded. Also, $300 for each kid.

So, as usual. Screw the most productive segment of society, reward the unproductive ones who have lots of kids they can't afford.

This mostly benefits the uneducated sorts with eight squalling, dirty-faced future delinquents in tow. As I said in another thread, buy stock in companies that make spinner wheels, I guess.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2008, 08:39:32 AM »

I think I'll spend it on hookers and blow.

Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2008, 08:39:38 AM »
"This mostly benefits the uneducated sorts with eight squalling, dirty-faced future delinquents in tow."

Mtnbkr only has one, and one on the way. Fuzzy math, there? Smiley

To be perfectly honest, though, if the idea is to get people spending the money, who is most likely to spend that money?

Someone who makes $100,000+ a year, or the uneducated sort with eight kids in tow?

I know which one I'd bank on.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2008, 08:41:41 AM »
...or the uneducated sort with eight kids in tow?

Can you say Big Screen TV?

Uranus is a gas giant.

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2008, 08:45:55 AM »

Oh, hell yes. Proper clothes for the kids? BOOKS? Nutritious food? A laptop for them for school? Of course not.

Big screen TV, baby! Or spinner wheels for their ride, tallboys of malt liquor, and Mickey D's for breakfast, lunch and dinner for the whole family for two whole months!

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2008, 08:49:07 AM »
"This mostly benefits the uneducated sorts with eight squalling, dirty-faced future delinquents in tow."

Mtnbkr only has one, and one on the way. Fuzzy math, there? Smiley

I'd be willing to bet he can afford to have them, though! Smiley I only object to the people who keep popping out kids and can't even afford one, and demand that the taxpayers step in to help.

Kids are great...if you can afford to feed them.

(The Sun paper in the UK today just had a story about a 17-year-old welfare mum who's had two kids by two brothers, both unemployed and on benefits as well. They're definitely beating us in the Jerry Springer level of things...!)  cheesy

To be perfectly honest, though, if the idea is to get people spending the money, who is most likely to spend that money?

And yeah, you're right, that sort will blow it on instantly depreciating Chinese consumer goods. It's still a bit depressing though!

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2008, 08:52:45 AM »

I didn't say what they were going to buy.

Only that they were going to run right out and spend it.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2008, 09:08:32 AM »

I didn't say what they were going to buy.

Only that they were going to run right out and spend it.

I know, I made the comment.

Actually I'll probably spend part of mine on a new sleeping bag, my 20 degree bag isn't so 20 degrees anymore. The rest will go towards new tires on my wife's car.

Uranus is a gas giant.

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2008, 09:10:31 AM »
Since it's money I hadn't budgeted for, if I get anything, it'll just get invested.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2008, 09:23:53 AM »
Well, I am working on saving more of my money.  If I qualify, I might just have to try out an M&P45 or something. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

cosine

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2008, 09:27:17 AM »
So, does anyone know if one whose taxes are 100% self-employment tax (Schedule SE) will get anything?
Andy

Finch

• Fading Freedoms
« Reply #13 on: January 24, 2008, 09:43:58 AM »
So what did they have, a dartboard with a bunch of "solutions" on it?
Truth is treason in the empire of lies - Ron Paul

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #14 on: January 24, 2008, 09:52:08 AM »

Silly boy.

That's how ALL decisions are made in Washington.

Finch

• Fading Freedoms
« Reply #15 on: January 24, 2008, 10:02:47 AM »

Silly boy.

That's how ALL decisions are made in Washington.

They way things are going, I wouldn't be surprised. I can't imagine someone sitting there thinking "Hey, this is a great idea."
Truth is treason in the empire of lies - Ron Paul

HankB

• friend
« Reply #16 on: January 24, 2008, 10:28:40 AM »
The rebates would phase out gradually for individuals whose income exceeds $75,000 and couples with incomes above $150,, aides said. Individuals with incomes up to $87,000 and couples up to $174,000 would get partial rebates. The caps rise higher for individuals and couples with children.
So I'll get nothing . . . other than the privilege of paying for this. Which was going to happen anyway, except now I won't get any of my own money back.

I really, really, really HATE politicians. <expletive> <expletive> <multiple expletive>
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #17 on: January 24, 2008, 10:37:56 AM »
The rebates would phase out gradually for individuals whose income exceeds $75,000 and couples with incomes above $150,, aides said. Individuals with incomes up to $87,000 and couples up to $174,000 would get partial rebates. The caps rise higher for individuals and couples with children.
So I'll get nothing . . . other than the privilege of paying for this. Which was going to happen anyway, except now I won't get any of my own money back.

I really, really, really HATE politicians. <expletive> <expletive> <multiple expletive>

I wish I could say that my wife and I make enough money together that we wouldn't be allowed the refund. If we made $150k together we'd be living high on the hog.

Uranus is a gas giant.

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #18 on: January 24, 2008, 10:50:58 AM »

Shame on you for being successful. You don't get a prize.

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #19 on: January 24, 2008, 10:53:07 AM »

I think I'll spend it on hookers and blow.

[Rocky the Flying Squirrel voice] AGAIN?....   [/Rocky the Flying Squirrel voice]
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #20 on: January 24, 2008, 10:58:23 AM »

Wish I  had that problem to cuss about..... Wink

I'll probably use mine to pay off debts I was dumb enough to accumulate in my not-so-innocent youth and with current medical costs. Sooner I get that paid off, the sooner I'll join in the spending spree and start stockpiling mil-surps.....  grin
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

MrRezister

• I resist. It's what I do.
  • friend
  • Shank, shank, shank mommy's ankles!
« Reply #21 on: January 24, 2008, 11:00:51 AM »

Maybe you should quit your job and cash in!  Don't forget the party line : "From Each according to his Ability!"
He never brought you an unbalanced budget, which is a perennial joke. He never voted himself a wage increase and, to this day, gives back part of his salary every year. He has always voted to preserve the Constitution, cut government spending, lower healthcare costs, end the war on drugs, secure our borders with immigration reform and protect our civil liberties.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #22 on: January 24, 2008, 11:07:39 AM »
"So I'll get nothing . . ."

Waah waah waah...

Sucks when your bag of gold is too heavy, doesn't it?  laugh

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #23 on: January 24, 2008, 11:27:00 AM »
"So I'll get nothing . . ."

Waah waah waah...

Sucks when your bag of gold is too heavy, doesn't it?  laugh

$75k in some areas of the country is living high, in other areas, barely squeaking by! And in places where it'd be living high, the jobs don't pay that. In places where it's barely squeaking by, they do.

El Tejon

• friend
    • http://www.kirkfreemanlaw.com
« Reply #24 on: January 24, 2008, 11:33:29 AM »
I get $0.00.  No capital gains tax? angry
I do not smoke pot, wear Wookie suits, live in my mom's basement, collect unemployment checks or eat Cheetoes, therefore I am not a Ron Paul voter.