Author Topic: Tentative economic stimulis deal reached...  (Read 15153 times)

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
Re: Tentative economic stimulis deal reached...
« Reply #50 on: January 25, 2008, 06:01:50 AM »
"No - the dictionary defines rebate as "a return of a part of a payment." How the heck does a "rebate" go to someone who DIDN'T PAY ANY INCOME TAX?"

Your government at work.

The pertinent information remains that this money is coming out of the Treasury.

Who in the government has the information on those in the nation who are of working age?

Come on, the answer's not difficult...

Uh... uh....

NASA!
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #51 on: January 25, 2008, 07:00:20 AM »
$75k in some areas of the country is living high, in other areas, barely squeaking by!

Yup, around here $75K is, "living with roommates" salary.

Well, I get zip, but at least they didn't make me pay anything. Oh wait......

This cart I'm pulling is getting heavier and heavier.  sad
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #52 on: January 25, 2008, 07:24:40 AM »
Individual tax payers will get a max of $600, couples a max of $1,200.

I think I'll spend it on hookers and blow.

And you'll likely squander the rest Wink

"I spent a lot of money on booze, birds and fast cars. The rest I just squandered."
----George Best
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

sumpnz

• friend
« Reply #53 on: January 26, 2008, 07:23:26 AM »
Is there anything that makes it obvious that they'll base the couples "refund" on household income, or does a stay-at-home-mom mean the family just get's dad's $600?  Also was I right in reading that it'll be based on AGI, and not total gross?  I sure hope its AGI, or we'll loose out on at least some of the "refund" due to a company paid relocation with gross-up that added $53k to my income in '07.  Add that to the 113 hours of vacation cashed out by my previous employer, a $3k signing bonus, and $8k of paid OT (I'm salary exempt so I don't normally get that) and I'm probably just over six figures without the relocation. 

Assuming we get the full $1800 (we have 2 sprogs) I think we'll probably use it to pay for some needed things we've been deferring for some time.  We haven't bought clothes in a couple years except for the kids, and they're close to outgrowing most of what they've got.  My wife wants more makeup (personally I think she looks better without it, but oh well).  And, if we don't already have the emergency fund back up to $25k by then (it's around $24.2k now, so it should be back up really soon) we'll probably put the remainder into our sinking funds for pet care, doctor's visits, Christmas gifts, etc.  That or maybe put it into the kids' 529's.