Author Topic: Interrogator: Invasion Surprised Saddam  (Read 2807 times)

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
Interrogator: Invasion Surprised Saddam
« on: January 25, 2008, 08:02:38 PM »
http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/nationworld/sns-ap-saddam-interrogator,1,7125564.story?ctrack=1&cset=true

By LILY HINDY | Associated Press Writer
5:14 PM CST, January 25, 2008
NEW YORK - Saddam Hussein allowed the world to believe he had weapons of mass destruction to deter rival Iran and did not think the United States would stage a major invasion, according to an FBI interrogator who questioned the Iraqi leader after his capture.

Saddam expected only a limited aerial attack by the United States and thought he could remain in control, the FBI special agent, George Piro, told CBS's "60 Minutes" program in an interview to be broadcast Sunday.

"He told me he initially miscalculated ... President Bush's intentions," said Piro. "He thought the United States would retaliate with the same type of attack as we did in 1998 ... a four-day aerial attack."

"He survived that one and he was willing to accept that type of attack," Piro said.

The Associated Press spoke to a close aide of Saddam's in August 2003, who said that Saddam did not expect a U.S. invasion and deliberately kept the world guessing about his weapons program, although he already had gotten rid of it.

Saddam publicly denied having unconventional weapons before the U.S. invasion, but prevented U.N. inspectors from working in the country from 1998 until 2002 and when they finally returned in November 2002, they often complained that Iraq wasn't fully cooperating.

Piro, a Lebanese-American who speaks Arabic, debriefed Saddam after he was found hiding in an underground hideout near his home city north of Baghdad in December 2003, nine months after the U.S. invasion.

Piro said Saddam also said that he wanted to keep up the illusion that he had the program in part because he thought it would deter a likely Iranian invasion.

"For him, it was critical that he was seen as still the strong, defiant Saddam. He thought that (faking having the weapons) would prevent the Iranians from reinvading Iraq," Piro told Scott Pelley of "60 Minutes."

Piro added that Saddam had the intention of restarting an Iraqi weapons program at the time, and had engineers available for chemical, biological and nuclear weapons.

Piro also mentioned Saddam's revelation during questioning that what pushed him to invade Kuwait in 1990 was a dishonorable swipe at Iraqi women made by the Kuwaiti leader, Sheik Jaber Al Ahmed Al Sabah.

During the buildup to the invasion, Iraq had accused Kuwait of flooding the world market with oil and demanded compensation for oil produced from a disputed area on the border of the two countries.

Piro said that Al Sabah told the foreign minister of Iraq during a discussion aimed at resolving some of those conflicts that "he would not stop doing what he was doing until he turned every Iraqi woman into a $10 prostitute. And that really sealed it for him, to invade Kuwait," said Piro.

Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

Manedwolf

• friend
Re: Interrogator: Invasion Surprised Saddam
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2008, 11:04:42 PM »
My favorite video is still Baghdad Bob saying "There are no Americans in Baghdad" as an M1 visibly goes by in the background and something explodes nearby.

Standing Wolf

• friend
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2008, 12:01:44 AM »
Saddam Hussein allowed the world to believe he had weapons of mass destruction to deter rival Iran and did not think the United States would stage a major invasion, according to an FBI interrogator who questioned the Iraqi leader after his capture.

I'm supposed to believe an Islamic terrorist savage? For that matter, I'm supposed to believe the F., the B., and the I.?

Much of what passes for so-called "news" is patently stupid stuff that ought to be rejected out of hand by anyone with more than about 80 I.Q. points.
No tyrant should ever be allowed to die of natural causes.

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2008, 01:34:19 AM »
Like we snuck up on him or something.....  rolleyes

Saddam Hussein allowed the world to believe he had weapons of mass destruction to deter rival Iran and did not think the United States would stage a major invasion, according to an FBI interrogator who questioned the Iraqi leader after his capture.

I'm supposed to believe an Islamic terrorist savage? For that matter, I'm supposed to believe the F., the B., and the I.?

Much of what passes for so-called "news" is patently stupid stuff that ought to be rejected out of hand by anyone with more than about 80 I.Q. points.

Of course you can trust the FBI......just ask the Branch Davidians..... Wink
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2008, 04:20:42 AM »
My favorite video is still Baghdad Bob saying "There are no Americans in Baghdad" as an M1 visibly goes by in the background and something explodes nearby.

What's Bob doing with himself these days? Working for Hilary?
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Dntsycnt

• friend
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2008, 04:50:47 AM »
I think he died.  But don't tell him that, 'cause he'll know you're lying.

Parker Dean

• friend
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2008, 12:35:23 PM »
Reading between the lines tells me that Iraq DID have nuclear and chemical programs. Not so much for use against the US, or even for terrorism, but mostly because of Iran. I mean, we know Iran had one at the time and the likelihood of Saddam letting the Iranians getting one-up on him was low. Unfortunately we couldn't allow either one to have that kind control over the region and Saddam was the next-most-easily-isolated politically so he became the next target on the way to Iran.