Author Topic: Is APS conservative? Is it libertarian?  (Read 7790 times)

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
Is APS conservative? Is it libertarian?
« on: January 28, 2008, 07:48:45 PM »
I used to think that APS was pretty well dominated by Libertarians (I don't mean anarchists or Ron Paul supporters.  I mean people who tend to agree with the Libertarian Party on most issues.)  Maybe it's because Oleg is a Libertarian.  Isn't he? 

But I sometimes think the conservatives are more numerous.  And a lot of people seem to complain about that. 

So, who's more common or more vocal here?  Or is it a balance? 
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Bogie

• friend
  • Hunkered in South St. Louis, right by Route 66
    • Third Rate Pundit
Re: Is APS conservative? Is it libertarian?
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2008, 08:53:49 PM »
Well, we get a lot of 'rollers.

And a lot of libertarians/conservatives.

And a lot of people who are trying to convince the libertarians/conservatives to vote otherwise.

I tend to be libertarian on social issues. and conservative on fiscal issues. As I'd guess most folks who actually think about it, rather than get their politics from CBS/NBC/ABC/FOX/CNN, are...

Which basically means - it's okay if you have a same sex partner who likes to smoke dope, as long as it doesn't cost me extra money.

Blog under construction

SomeKid

« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2008, 09:24:13 PM »
fistful,

I would say you have a lot of conservative-libertarian types around here, and it is easy depending on the issues to mix them up. Like bogie, I am a mix.

We have a few anti-Christian types, leftists, and even the obligatory nazi moderators. (Disclaimer: Said in good humor. Disclaimer felt needed, just in case nazi moderators don't like it... (Disclaimer: Said in good humor. Disclaimer felt needed just in case nazi moderators don't like it... (Disclaimer...)))    cheesy

Of course, we also have a few hecklers around here somewhere...

Regolith

• friend
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2008, 10:15:49 PM »
So far, the only constant I've noticed are that we all tend to agree mostly on gun control.  I've spotted liberals, libertarians, anarchists, evangelicals, neocons, conservatives, etc. 
The price of freedom is eternal vigilance. - Thomas Jefferson

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves. - William Pitt the Younger

Perfectly symmetrical violence never solved anything. - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

Finch

• Fading Freedoms
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2008, 11:24:45 PM »
I think we have more George W. Bush conservatives on here than we do Robert Taft conservatives.
Truth is treason in the empire of lies - Ron Paul

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2008, 01:10:23 AM »
Looks pretty balanced with the conservatives, neo-cons, and libertarians, IMHO.....

I'm more of a conservative/Teddy Roosevelt populist myself....  grin
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2008, 07:46:38 AM »
I tend to be libertarian on social issues. and conservative on fiscal issues.

But you repeat yourself again Wink

Who could be much more fiscally conservative than a libertarian who believes in the absolutely smallest government possible Huh?

Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

Paddy

« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2008, 07:50:27 AM »
George W. Bush conservatives

HA! There's an oxymoron.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2008, 07:52:06 AM »
As usual, I'm too optimistic in expecting straight answers.  "Rollers"?  "Neocons"?  Just forget I asked.   rolleyes

Firethorn

• friend
  • Where'd my explosive space modulator go?
« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2008, 08:04:15 AM »
I tend to be libertarian on social issues. and conservative on fiscal issues.

But you repeat yourself again Wink

Who could be much more fiscally conservative than a libertarian who believes in the absolutely smallest government possible Huh?

Maybe he supports some spending programs a libertarian normally wouldn't, like a strong military/border guard/police system?

though I'm curious as the the context of 'rollers' in this instance.

Personally, I consider myself a small 'l' libertarian, though some days I'll go off on rants of what I'd do if I ever became Evil Overlord.  I'm mostly the lowercase because I think that we need a lot of corrective phases before we can start implimenting many of the Libertarian ideals.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2008, 08:04:52 AM »
Does it really matter?

Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2008, 08:16:21 AM »
Does it really matter?

From time to time, people refer to "APS" or "you guys" all thinking such-and-such.  The implication is usually that APS members tend to be conservatives, or tend to be supporters of W, or tend to support the war.  This is very curious to me, because I have never had that impression.  As I said, I used to think of APS as being more Libertarian than conservative. 

wooderson

• friend
« Reply #12 on: January 29, 2008, 12:03:37 PM »
Are libertarians just more 'conservative' than they'd like to believe?
"The famously genial grin turned into a rictus of senile fury: I was looking at a cruel and stupid lizard."

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #13 on: January 29, 2008, 12:12:23 PM »
Are libertarians just more 'conservative' than they'd like to believe?

And perhaps conservatives are just more "libertarian" than others believe.

I don't know if libertarians are under any illusions, but it is quite true that libertarians and conservatives often agree.  Yet libertarians and lefties often agree.  And of course, most libertarians are influenced by a left or right background.  A local talk show guy calls himself a libertarian.  Yet he is an advocate of gun control, so his libertarianism is tinged with leftist overtones.  Naturally, many libertarians who favor gun rights come from a rightist background.  Hence, their frequent agreement with conservatives on this site. 

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #14 on: January 29, 2008, 01:29:46 PM »
I started out in life as a liberal/democrat (born in the south).

Then I became a conservative/republican (Carter --> Reagan)

Then I started thinking more "libertarian"

Now I'm leaning towards anarchist.

Or maybe I'll just be a pirate  grin
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

thebaldguy

• friends
« Reply #15 on: January 29, 2008, 03:29:54 PM »
I think this place has a true conservative/libertarian feel. I like it!

Note: many Republicans who call themselves conservative are actually right wing authoritians...

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #16 on: January 29, 2008, 03:34:12 PM »

I think I'm the least common.  A libertarian moderate that's registered Democrat. You'd be surprised how many of us exist in PA.   
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #17 on: January 29, 2008, 04:16:49 PM »
Note: many Republicans who call themselves conservative are actually right wing authoritians...

I'm sorry.  I don't buy the notion that there are any "right wing authoritarians" in the U.S. at all, outside of a few neo-Nazis somewhere.  OK, and probably some of those Christian dominionist types. 

BridgeWalker

« Reply #18 on: January 29, 2008, 05:01:02 PM »
I mostly vote Republican, but that's because of two issues (guess...), not because of general agreement. 

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #19 on: January 30, 2008, 10:22:16 AM »
I think we have more Devil's Advocates than anything else sometimes.  Do they have a church for those people?  Smiley

We have a lot of people who like to be sarcastic and not tell anyone.  On discussion boards, you can't really tell if they are trying to be funny or are just an idiot.  Cheesy
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

SteveS

• The Voice of Reason
  • friends
« Reply #20 on: January 30, 2008, 10:38:42 AM »
Or maybe I'll just be a pirate  grin

That sounds pretty good, though I think for now, I'll call myself a radical pragmatist.
Profanity is the linguistic crutch of the inarticulate mother****er.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #21 on: January 30, 2008, 10:40:05 AM »
I'm probably more libertarian than anything but I also care about folks going hungry or not getting medical attention. I am also concerned about large corporations taking over everything, but I am also against the nanny state. I don't want our environment to be spoiled for our generation and future generations, I feel that we as Americans consume more than we really should and we need to live with less. I'm still pretty clueless why any household needs more than 2 televisions. I want the government to be in fear of her citizens, not the other way around.

Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

thebaldguy

• friends
« Reply #22 on: January 30, 2008, 01:26:34 PM »

I'm sorry.  I don't buy the notion that there are any "right wing authoritarians" in the U.S. at all, outside of a few neo-Nazis somewhere.  OK, and probably some of those Christian dominionist types. 

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Right_Wing_Authoritarianism

I think we have quite a few so called conservatives in the US that fit this description...

freakazoid

• friend
« Reply #23 on: January 30, 2008, 05:49:30 PM »
I was always under the impression that this was a largely libertarian site. Oh and I'm a Christian anarcho-communist, Smiley
"so I ended up getting the above because I didn't want to make a whole production of sticking something between my knees and cranking. To me, the cranking on mine is pretty effortless, at least on the coarse setting. Maybe if someone has arthritis or something, it would be more difficult for them." - Ben

"I see a rager at least once a week." - brimic

Matthew Carberry

• Formerly carebear
  • friend
  • Fiat justitia, pereat mundus
« Reply #24 on: January 30, 2008, 11:03:08 PM »
I was always under the impression that this was a largely libertarian site. Oh and I'm a Christian anarcho-communist, Smiley

You're in the right place, as I understood APS to be an anarcho-syndicalist commune.

I've evolved.  Small "l" libertarian but more and more a strict Constitutionalist rather than a free-everything idealist.
"Not all unwise laws are unconstitutional laws, even where constitutional rights are potentially involved." - Eugene Volokh

"As for affecting your movement, your Rascal should be able to achieve the the same speeds no matter what holster rig you are wearing."