Author Topic: And it starts...  (Read 7706 times)

mtnbkr

• friend
And it starts...
« on: January 29, 2008, 02:52:54 AM »
I ordered the frame for my new bike.  It's a Utility Blue Surly Long Haul Trucker touring frame.  I'm using as many of the parts off my old bike as I can.

It'll look kind of like this:

Frame specs here: http://www.surlybikes.com/longhaul.html

I'm building it up with a mix of Shimano Ultegra and mid 90s DuraAce components, Mavic Open Pro rims, Tektro Oryx cantilever brakes, and a Brooks brown leather saddle natch. Smiley  Attached to the Brooks is a ginormous Carradice Barley saddlebag.  I'm considering a set of aluminum fenders from a local company, Velo-Orange.

Gearing consists of a 48/39t chainrings and 12-32 8spd cluster.  I ride a very wide range of terrain, hence the wide gearing.  Tires are 700x32c for my comfort and the ability to handle rough roads and even mild dirt roads (in case I pass an interesting dirt road out in the country ya know).

Once the cockpit layout is finalized, I'm going to replace the white bar wrap with yellow cotton tape with an amber shellac coating.  The end result will be a very durable bar wrap the same color of my saddle and with a very grippy texture.

Nothing on the bike is super-light or fragile.  Everything was purchased with durability and flexibility of use in mind.  I plan to keep this bike for a long time.

Chris

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
Re: And it starts...
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2008, 03:05:28 AM »
And I thought you meant the morning sickness...  grin
Avoid cliches like the plague!

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2008, 03:15:14 AM »
I just pulled my old Trek 970 out of mothballs yesterday and started pulling parts off it (All Shimano XT and LX). It needs a serious cleaning, some new handlebars, and maybe a chain and cassette. I checked this morning, the Mag 21 still holds pressure  smiley.
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2008, 03:42:40 AM »
And I thought you meant the morning sickness...  grin

Nooo, that started around New Year's.  Except that it's more "afternoon-evening" sickness.  Shell's ill from about 3pm till bedtime and fine from the time she wakes up till 3pm or so.

I just pulled my old Trek 970 out of mothballs yesterday and started pulling parts off it (All Shimano XT and LX). It needs a serious cleaning, some new handlebars, and maybe a chain and cassette. I checked this morning, the Mag 21 still holds pressure  smiley.

Those old 970s were great bikes.  If I were looking for a geared mountain bike frame, that series would be on the top of my list.  It's a shame few companies make no-frills chromoly bikes like that these days.  You have to buy a Soma, Surly, or Voodoo frame to get something similar.

Hey, if you're interested in upgrading the front end, I have a 2004 Manitou Skareb 80mm fork (bought it new in 2006, retired it for the rigid SS thing a year later), shock pump, and Shimano disk brake (extra pads, several rotors) I'd like to sell for $150 shipped (CONUS only of course).  All you'd need is a disk compatible wheel and linear pull brake levers if your current levers predate linear pull.  The fork works great, I just changed my riding style and no longer need it.

Chris

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2008, 04:49:23 AM »
I can't wait for the McMansion to be finished.  I'm ready to trade up my Jamis.  But I'm thinkin Ferrari vs. Pickup truck in this case.
I love the LHT, but couldn't get one in my size with 700 wheels, they'd be 26's, and if I'm stuck with 26's I might as well go with a mountain bike.

If she's been that sick, you might as well ride...cause you ain't gettin laid....BTDT
 laugh
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2008, 05:29:38 AM »
I was borderline for the 700c version myself.  Surly's are big for their stated size.  I got to test ride a 56cm model (the smallest with 700c wheels) and decided I could make a few tweaks to make it fit (test bike had setback post, I got a non-setback post, a shorter stem, etc).

I'll tell her you said that. Wink

Chris

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2008, 05:38:08 AM »
"Shell's ill from about 3pm till bedtime and fine from the time she wakes up till 3pm or so."

Oddly enough, that coincides with when you get home from work...

Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2008, 05:41:59 AM »
"Shell's ill from about 3pm till bedtime and fine from the time she wakes up till 3pm or so."

You noticed that too, eh? Wink

Chris

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2008, 05:55:59 AM »
I used to have a Diamond Back cross-bike with 700c rims on it, back in high school and college.  I left it locked in front of my dorm one night and came out the next day to see it stripped of rims and seat.  Who steals 700c rims and a cheap seat?  angry

I did a lot more mountain trail riding with that bike than I probably should have, and I replaced it with a Trek 830.  The Trek got stolen a year later (locked up in front of my work, asshat thief left me a beat-up and rusted Murray that the police officer who took the report impounded as "evidence," leaving me completely ride-less).  I traded a year-old laptop computer for a Specialized StumpJumper and a few hundred bucks in my favor, then put a Marzocchi Bomber air/oil front shock on it (and a strong U-lock with an extra cable for the front rim).

That was a fantastic setup for Pacific Northwest single track.  The bike had a nice and short wheelbase that could whip around tight stands of trees, it soaked up hidden logs and rocks with the Bomber's fantastic shock travel and was pretty light.

I find myself missing a bike with a larger layout now though.  I don't race down hills balls-out anymore, and there isn't much tight singletrack in Phoenix.  If I ride now, it's just a leisurely 15mph in town, maybe 50 miles max.  Usually 20-25 miles.  This bike is a bit cramped for that type of riding, and I look back now on the old Diamond Back that rode so easily around town very fondly.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2008, 06:10:18 AM »
I had a Klein that was perfect for tight singletrack, but my Surly 1x1 is turning out to be a surprisingly agile bike even though it isn't as agile on paper.  Dumping suspension forks for rigid forks also tightened up the handling on both bikes.  You forget how much the suspension costs you in terms of technical handling.  I'm able to clear certain trail obstacles without suspension that were troublesome with...

Based on your last paragraph, it sounds like you want/need a touring style bike.  They're very stable with lots of cockpit room.  That's the reason I went with the LHT.  I'm no racer, nor do I pretend to be.

Chris

Ryan in Maine

• friend
« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2008, 07:40:20 AM »
IsoTruss. Stronger than steel, aluminum, titanium, and solid carbon composite. 2.75 lbs frame. $12,000.

http://www.delta7sports.com

I'm not much into biking (I have an old Schwinn that hasn't been on the road for years), but for some reason, I want to ride that one.

Jamisjockey

• friend
« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2008, 07:47:22 AM »

OMFG that's funny!
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #12 on: January 29, 2008, 07:49:12 AM »
IsoTruss. Stronger than steel, aluminum, titanium, and solid carbon composite. 2.75 lbs frame. $12,000.
I'm not much into biking (I have an old Schwinn that hasn't been on the road for years), but for some reason, I want to ride that one.

You can get 3-3.5lbs frames that are a fraction of that cost (My Klein's frame was 3.2lbs).  That means a bike built with that frame weighing 20lbs would be 20.75lbs with a traditional frame.  Heck, even a 5lb frame would build a sub 23lb bike utilizing the same components.  I could build a hell of a complete bike for less than half what that frame costs alone.

People make too much fuss about frame weights.  Most weight differences are less than a full waterbottle...or the fat around your stomach.  Smiley

Neat engineering though, but I'd find other uses for it.

Chris

bedlamite

• friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
« Reply #13 on: January 29, 2008, 07:50:39 AM »

Hey, if you're interested in upgrading the front end, I have a 2004 Manitou Skareb 80mm fork (bought it new in 2006, retired it for the rigid SS thing a year later), shock pump, and Shimano disk brake (extra pads, several rotors) I'd like to sell for $150 shipped (CONUS only of course).  All you'd need is a disk compatible wheel and linear pull brake levers if your current levers predate linear pull.  The fork works great, I just changed my riding style and no longer need it.

Chris

I'd also need a headset and stem in addition to the new hub and relacing the wheel, and I can't see spending that much to replace something that works. Thanks for the offer, but no. If you want to pawn it, you might put an ad up at mtbr

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #14 on: January 29, 2008, 07:50:52 AM »
It's a Utility Blue Surly Long Haul Trucker

Holy Wagon Queen Family Truckster, Batman!

It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

bedlamite

• friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
« Reply #15 on: January 29, 2008, 07:53:02 AM »

I have a feeling it would carry more than 2.75 lbs of mud and be a PITA to get cleaned out.

Jamisjockey

• friend
« Reply #16 on: January 29, 2008, 07:55:42 AM »

Huge geek factor for the uber rich.  $12k can buy an entire fleet of top end bikes.
1 great road bike with DA, Carbon or Titanium frame, est $5k
1 high end mountain bike, est 2500
1 really farkin nice 'cross bike est 2k
that leaves another 2500 for accessories, clothing, beer, etc.

JD

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #17 on: January 29, 2008, 07:58:17 AM »
It's a Utility Blue Surly Long Haul Trucker
Holy Wagon Queen Family Truckster, Batman!

Built for comfort, not speed. Wink

Chris

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #18 on: January 29, 2008, 08:00:18 AM »
I'd also need a headset and stem in addition to the new hub and relacing the wheel, and I can't see spending that much to replace something that works. Thanks for the offer, but no. If you want to pawn it, you might put an ad up at mtbr

Oh yeah, I didn't stop to think that the Trek 900 series bikes probably predate threadless headset systems. 

One day, I'll get around to putting it up on MTBR.  It's tucked away in the basement and out of mind most of the time. Smiley

Chris

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #19 on: January 29, 2008, 08:02:34 AM »
I have a feeling it would carry more than 2.75 lbs of mud and be a PITA to get cleaned out.

IIRC, they sheath the trusswork so it doesn't pick up crud.

Chris

bedlamite

• friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
« Reply #20 on: January 29, 2008, 08:03:45 AM »
Actually, this was the first year with threadless headsets, and we were having nothing but problems with them at the shop, so I dropped in a Tange headset and a Ritchey quill type stem.

Bogie

• friend
  • Hunkered in South St. Louis, right by Route 66
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #21 on: January 29, 2008, 09:06:33 AM »
Where's the engine?

Blog under construction

bedlamite

• friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
« Reply #22 on: January 29, 2008, 09:32:39 AM »
Where's the engine?

I've got one of those too.

Headless Thompson Gunner

• friend
« Reply #23 on: January 29, 2008, 09:42:12 AM »
I was gonna buy a LHT a few years back.  Decided on the Cross Check at the last minute instead.  I figured the bottom bracket was too low on the LHT, and that I'd be forever banging pedals and chainrings on curbs and such.  I like my CC, ride it to work most days, it's my only real bike at the moment.  But I'm not convinced I made the right decision when I changed from the LHT to CC.  I still occasionally wish I had a true touring bike instead. 

Anyways, congratulations.  Enjoy your new toy.

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #24 on: January 29, 2008, 10:07:10 AM »
I almost got a CC instead, but decided on the LHT after riding one.  In the end, I liked how stable and smooth it felt.  I'm hoping the longer stays will make towing my daughter around a bit easier.  With my current road bike, things felt a little cramped and climbing with it didn't feel right.

Chris