Author Topic: Well I held my nose and voted today.  (Read 10857 times)

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
Well I held my nose and voted today.
« on: January 29, 2008, 11:14:26 AM »
Since I'll be an election judge for our primary next Tuesday, I went in today and voted early. 

I almost voted for Fred just as a protest.  But since he dropped out, there's no point in tilting against windmills.  The rest of the local races were pretty straight forward.  I also told the County and School board "NO" on their sales and property tax increase proposals.

Anyone else here voted early Huh? 
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

Manedwolf

• friend
Re: Well I held my nose and voted today.
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2008, 11:45:53 AM »
Considering I'm in NH, you could say I had, yes.  smiley

As for Fred, I was quite disappointed. He just didn't want it.

El Tejon

• friend
    • http://www.kirkfreemanlaw.com
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2008, 11:52:06 AM »
Not until May, you know when everything is already decided. grin

Indiana, rapidly moving into the new century--the 1900s. grin
I do not smoke pot, wear Wookie suits, live in my mom's basement, collect unemployment checks or eat Cheetoes, therefore I am not a Ron Paul voter.

Paddy

« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2008, 12:05:42 PM »
"Well I held my nose and voted today"

There ya go.  That's exactly why we have the government we've got.

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2008, 12:34:17 PM »

No, we have this government because people vote for, or allow, the Govies to run amuck.  But we still don't get to choose who runs for office.
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

Paddy

« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2008, 01:04:57 PM »

No, we have this government because people vote for, or allow, the Govies to run amuck.  But we still don't get to choose who runs for office.

You make it sound like we're just a bunch of consumers, forced to pick something off the storeowner's shelf.  Oh, wait, that's what we are!  Which is exactly what happens when you whittle down the middle class and sell the government to the highest (corporate) bidder.

What we need is another champion of the common man.  Either Roosevelt will do.

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2008, 01:20:17 PM »

I agree wholeheartedly.

The problem is the people who want to be President (or Senator, Congressman, etc).  They aren't running for altruistic reasons; they want the power, prestige, and money.  The way they get elected, and stay elected, is to promise "free" things to the masses.

Those "freebies" are killing the common man, and businesses alike.
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

SomeKid

« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2008, 01:36:55 PM »
You guys DO know that the 1st Roosevelt had no problem with the notion of decreeing things like a tyrant, and the second gave us SS, and of course, the good old NFA?

Lennyjoe

• friend
« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2008, 01:47:52 PM »
A morally courageous, ethical, constitution driven, country loving common man doesn't have what it takes to become the President of the U.S.

Why is that you ask, because a man with those traits doesn't have $10 + million to bankroll a campaign to run for POTUS.   sad

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2008, 04:46:50 PM »

You make it sound like we're just a bunch of consumers, forced to pick something off the storeowner's shelf.  Oh, wait, that's what we are!  Which is exactly what happens when you whittle down the middle class and sell the government to the highest (corporate) bidder.

I do hope you're referring to Teddy or Elenore.....
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

Bigjake

• friend
« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2008, 05:26:06 PM »

FDR?? Are you kidding me??

Tecumseh

• friend
« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2008, 05:38:50 PM »

Give me FDR over W anyday of the week.

Dannyboy

• friend
« Reply #12 on: January 29, 2008, 05:43:05 PM »
Which is exactly what happens when you whittle down the middle class and sell the government to the highest (corporate) bidder.

Click.  Click.  Damn, how do you change the channel on this thing?
Oh, Lord, please let me be as sanctimonious and self-righteous as those around me, so that I may fit in.

Bogie

• friend
  • Hunkered in South St. Louis, right by Route 66
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #13 on: January 29, 2008, 05:46:59 PM »
Well, today's democrat candidates would walk up and tip him out of his wheelchair... And most of the voters would point, laugh, grab another can of Brawndo, The Thirst Mutilator, and change the channel until they hit American Idol...

They'd miss him getting two in the chest, one in the head, and the coroner's ruling of "suicide."

Blog under construction

MrRezister

• I resist. It's what I do.
  • friend
  • Shank, shank, shank mommy's ankles!
« Reply #14 on: January 29, 2008, 06:04:10 PM »
A morally courageous, ethical, constitution driven, country loving common man doesn't have what it takes to become the President of the U.S.

Why is that you ask, because a man with those traits doesn't have $10 + million to bankroll a campaign to run for POTUS.   sad

Hell, that sounds just like - oh, wait nevermind.   I forgot that guy's not winning so we shouldn't vote for him. 

As you were.
He never brought you an unbalanced budget, which is a perennial joke. He never voted himself a wage increase and, to this day, gives back part of his salary every year. He has always voted to preserve the Constitution, cut government spending, lower healthcare costs, end the war on drugs, secure our borders with immigration reform and protect our civil liberties.

Tecumseh

• friend
« Reply #15 on: January 29, 2008, 06:10:47 PM »
Well, today's [Strike]democrat[/Strike] candidates would walk up and tip him out of his wheelchair... And most of the voters would point, laugh, grab another can of Brawndo, The Thirst Mutilator, and change the channel until they hit American Idol...

They'd miss him getting two in the chest, one in the head, and the coroner's ruling of "suicide."

Fixed it for you.  The GOP seems to be against national healthcare more than the other Democrats.  Not to mention I hear a lot of "tough luck pal" type of quotes from GOP hardliners.  They dont want to spend their money helping others with healthcare because it is not right to tax them and spend it on others. 

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #16 on: January 29, 2008, 06:45:13 PM »
The GOP seems to be against national healthcare more than the other Democrats.  Not to mention I hear a lot of "tough luck pal" type of quotes from GOP hardliners.  They dont want to spend their money helping others with healthcare because it is not right to tax them and spend it on others.

Your damn right we are against socialized national healthcare. Why should I have to pay for other people's health problems? That would be like me having to pay for other people to get their car fixed. rolleyes

Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

Bogie

• friend
  • Hunkered in South St. Louis, right by Route 66
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #17 on: January 29, 2008, 08:32:24 PM »
especially when they bring it on themselves... IMHO, they oughta make folks show cards to use those motorized wheelchairs at WallyWorld...

Blog under construction

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #18 on: January 30, 2008, 01:27:22 AM »

Folk who whine about GW taking liberties with executive powers can only invoke FDR as somehow a better alternative if they are woefully ignorant of history.

(That is the charitable eplanation.)

Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #19 on: January 30, 2008, 02:15:20 AM »

Folk who whine about GW taking liberties with executive powers can only invoke FDR as somehow a better alternative if they are woefully ignorant of history.

(That is the charitable eplanation.)

Far too charitable....and far too true....
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

Bigjake

• friend
« Reply #20 on: January 30, 2008, 02:57:40 AM »
Fixed it for you.  The GOP seems to be against national health care more than the other Democrats.  Not to mention I hear a lot of "tough luck pal" type of quotes from GOP hardliners.  They dont want to spend their money helping others with health care because it is not right to tax them and spend it on others. 

You can donate all of YOUR money to any ol' charity you like.  Stay the hell away from mine.  On second thought, go have a look see at Canadian and Brit socialized health care and come back when you get a clue.

Give me FDR over W any day of the week.

And you shriek about President Bush running roughshod over the constitution??

Again, come back when you have the slightest idea what you're talking about and can do it in an informed manner.

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #21 on: January 30, 2008, 05:12:48 AM »
Yeah, ya'll seem to convientiently forget that it was FDR who put a whole group of citizens in "concentration" camps. They called them internment camps. They were Americans of Japanese descent, and many were natural-born citizens.

GW didn't put all the Americans of Muslim descent into concentration camps after Sept. 11.

Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

Dntsycnt

• friend
« Reply #22 on: January 30, 2008, 05:27:04 AM »
especially when they bring it on themselves... IMHO, they oughta make folks show cards to use those motorized wheelchairs at WallyWorld...

I agree with you 100 percent there.  Apparently, "I'm fat and lazy" is a good enough excuse to get free motorized locomotion nowadays.  Even people who WORK there are using them now...It's getting insane.

And FDR is the source of many a headache for me.  So many times I hear people proclaim, "FDR WAS THE BEST PRESIDENT EVER!" and I immediately know not to talk to them.

Sergeant Bob

• friend
« Reply #23 on: January 30, 2008, 05:28:02 AM »
GW didn't put all the Americans of Muslim descent into concentration camps after Sept. 11.

Yeah but, he's still the most evil, imperialistic, Nazi-ish, big oil sympathizing, war mongering, Constitution destroying president this country has ever had!  shocked
Personally, I do not understand how a bunch of people demanding a bigger govt can call themselves anarchist.
I meet lots of folks like this, claim to be anarchist but really they're just liberals with pierced genitals. - gunsmith

I already have canned butter, buying more. Canned blueberries, some pancake making dry goods and the end of the world is gonna be delicious.  -French G

Silver Bullet

• friend
« Reply #24 on: January 30, 2008, 06:55:25 AM »
You can donate all of YOUR money to any ol' charity you like.  Stay the hell away from mine.

This is actually correct.  The Democrats are only compassionate with other people's money.