Author Topic: Question about Political threads at Thehighroad.org?  (Read 2756 times)

keehotay

Question about Political threads at Thehighroad.org?
« on: January 30, 2008, 03:37:03 AM »
Hi all. Came over here at the invitation of a moderator at THR.  Since the banning of political discussion over there, I've made a small observation.  Seems like the only political thread now permitted on THR are those hi-res posters, with a terse political text usually photo-shopped over the top?  (Often some reference to nazi germany?) Maybe some other members have seen these threads?

Anyway, despite their obvious primarily political content, for some reason these threads escape any notice by the mods...about the only comments posted on these threads are gushing praise for the thread starter, "brilliant", "terrific", "incisive"; that type of commentary.

Seems like if there were any consistency in moderation, these threads would be more suitably posted here at the political forum at APS. 

Wondering about the apparent double standard? Maybe someone can offer comments? Respectfully submitted.

keehotay

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
Re: Question about Political threads at Thehighroad.org?
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2008, 03:43:22 AM »
Welcome aboard, first.

Second, this is a place to hold political discussion, not a bitch-fest about the parent forum.
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

Bigjake

• friend
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2008, 04:04:57 AM »
Welcome aboard.

Oleg's work is all 2A motivated, and therefore relevant on a Gun Forum.

ilbob

• friend
    • Bob's blog
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2008, 04:34:32 AM »
The forum owner gets to decide the rules and how they are enforced. if you do not want to accept that, then go elsewhere or start your own. Alternately, you could try a carefully drafted Pm to the owner asking him to change.
bob

Disclaimers: I am not a lawyer, cop, soldier, gunsmith, politician, plumber, electrician, or a professional practitioner of many of the other things I comment on in this forum.

keehotay

« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2008, 04:57:16 AM »
thanks for the welcome gents...

I'm not complaining just asking a question. Don't mean to tread on taboo territory.  The mods at THR implied that this forum was less strict regarding censorship?  I've not violated the TOS agreement, have I? Please move this thread to the roundtable, if necessary.

Balog, some might find using the b-word, in your context, as offensive.  You're a senior member, am I to understand that routine use of gutter language is OK around here?

bigjake, 2a-related threads are routinely locked over at THR for political content.  Except for the photo threads noted, hence the original question.

ilbob, aren't discussion forums for discussion?  Adults can respectfully discuss things without getting nasty, can't they?  That was my impression of the implicit meaning of "highroad".  "If you don't like it leave"; seems quite a bit less respectful than that...but, if that is the ethic officially promoted by staff on this board, I'll certainly accept that.  undecided

Perhaps the forum owner (or others on staff) could illuminate the apparent discrepancy here, for the benefit of all...there's an idea!  The current approach seems to have been that the collective staff perceived a problem, huddled up in secret, and rendered a decision which was not up for discussion.  This forum was offered as an alternative, maybe I understood this all wrong?

Again, just asking what I thought was a simple question.  Don't mean to step on anyone's egos.

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2008, 05:08:57 AM »
Keehotay, this is the politics forum part of the Roundtable. There are two areas of APS, the Politics forum and the Roundtable. Roundtable for non-political discussion, political for political discussion. You haven't committed a major sin, though, so don't worry. Blame it on fistful, instead. The mods will simply move the thread.

Political threads tend to get out of hand. The mods will lock a thread here if it gets too far out of hand, but otherwise, they will let it run.

And those big posters at THR are all about the 2nd Amendment. Oleg is a great guy, and I'd like to meet him someday.

We even have a little bit of gun discussion over here, but go to THR for your gun stuff, and come here for everything else. This forum is definitley wilder than THR, though, so don't be shocked.

Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2008, 05:45:36 AM »
Also, unlike those, you can say something bad about Ron Paul without getting the banhammer swung on you. Wink

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2008, 06:52:40 AM »
The posters are created by Oleg Volk, who owns not only THR but this forum as well.

As I read it, his posting images of his posters is not done in an effort to engender political debate, it's done as a means of displaying his creative processes and obtaining feedback from 2A supporters on his ideas.

That is my personal assessment, but I think I'm pretty close to the mark.

"The mods at THR implied that this forum was less strict regarding censorship."

No, we're less strict regarding the subjects that are discussed (even abortion and religion are regular topics of discussion) but I believe that we are far stricter in expecting our members to maintain standards of personal conduct. If those standards are not met, the adminstrators/moderators will take enforcement action, up to and including, if absolutely necessary, suspending a member's posting priviledges.

As for the concept of censorship... This forum is a privately owned entity. It is not an arm of the government, and the admins/mods are not government agents. Ergo, censorship in the manner which I believe you are using it (violation of rights of free speech/expression) are not an issue.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

InfidelSerf

• friend
« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2008, 07:25:44 AM »
First of all welcome to APS.
Yes you will find more controversial topics being freely discussed here. Within the realm of POLITE discussion and behavior.
I'd argue to say that POLITE is somewhat subjective since it's been rather rowdy here at times and the mods. have even had to "crack down"
on the rifraf stirring up trouble.  Despite that you will find this forum to contain some of the most intriguing and intelligent conversation to be found on the internets.

those hi-res posters, with a terse political text usually photo-shopped over the top?

As for those hi res posters.

They are the creation of Oleg Volk, the owner and creator of both APS and THR.
Not only are they usually excellent peaces of work portraying irony of self protection and the importance of 2ndA rights.
They are also some of the best photography of women and firearms Smiley

There is no double standard.  We are all in Oleg's living room.  So the art he chooses to display on his walls are all at his discretion.

Do you allow guests you invite into your home to take down your wall art and replace it with their own?

Frankly I wish he would post more of his female form work, particularly "Kit" hubba hubba  *no offense John, your a lucky man:)*

**edited to note that I must refresh more often, as Irwin beat me to the punch**
The hour is fast approaching,on which the Honor&Success of this army,and the safety of our bleeding Country depend.Remember~Soldiers,that you are Freemen,fighting for the blessings of Liberty-that slavery will be your portion,and that of your posterity,if you do not acquit yourselves like men.GW8/76

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2008, 07:27:22 AM »
Asked and answered.

If Keehotay has any more questions about APS operational procedures, he can PM a mod or admin.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.