Author Topic: AMD vs Intel, or Balog's 'puter goes boom  (Read 6360 times)

Calumus

• friend
Re: AMD vs Intel, or Balog's 'puter goes boom
« Reply #25 on: February 06, 2008, 05:30:57 PM »
I'd say if you can get that deal I'd jump on it. Fry's wants more then that just for the cpu.  I did a little homework for you and found this
http://www.tweaktown.com/reviews/1208/ecs_g31t_m_intel_core_2_on_a_budget/index.html
These guys are pretty good with their reviews. I had a couple of questions about the rest of the system. I assume you were already running ddr2 correct? If so then perfect, you can reuse the stuff you already had. If not I'd highly recommend SuperTalent (I know, sounds chintzy but its the best bang for the buck out there and its actually made domesticly)       http://www.ewiz.com/detail.php?name=T8UX2GC5&show=p
If you need to get everything at Frys then try this  http://shop1.outpost.com/product/4960001?site=sr:SEARCH:MAIN_RSLT_PG

I'm going to assume that the cpu is an oem version. That means you'll probably need a heatsink and fan unless you're able to reuse your old one. Once again, if everything's coming from Fry's try this http://shop1.outpost.com/product/4849620?site=sr:SEARCH:MAIN_RSLT_PG
Otherwise I'd recommend this  http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835185038
That's what I'm running. Not using the fan either, and still idling around 32 celcius. Any more questions, fire away.  Cheers,
Shawn

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #26 on: February 07, 2008, 12:42:28 PM »
Well, I went ahead and got the 6600. Preparing to install it tonight. One question tho.

I was using this fan.
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/searchtools/item-detailsInactive.asp?EdpNo=1187029

Should I reinstall it on the new cpu, or go with the fan that's included with the processor?
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

Headless Thompson Gunner

• friend
« Reply #27 on: February 07, 2008, 02:07:54 PM »
I have a new Q6600 running  in my machine.  It's wicked fast.

Sergeant Bob

• friend
« Reply #28 on: February 07, 2008, 02:29:40 PM »
Well, I went ahead and got the 6600. Preparing to install it tonight. One question tho.

I was using this fan.
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/searchtools/item-detailsInactive.asp?EdpNo=1187029

Should I reinstall it on the new cpu, or go with the fan that's included with the processor?

I'd just go with the one they sent with it. I'm sure it will work fine. I used to try to get the best cooler I could get and it usually ended up being noisier as well as cooler.
I got a new board and AM2 processor and I just put the retail cooler on it. I didn't even use Arctic Silver or any other such paste on it, just used the Thermal Interface Material that came on the heat sink. It's a lot quieter than it used to be and I've had no problem with it getting hot at all.
Personally, I do not understand how a bunch of people demanding a bigger govt can call themselves anarchist.
I meet lots of folks like this, claim to be anarchist but really they're just liberals with pierced genitals. - gunsmith

I already have canned butter, buying more. Canned blueberries, some pancake making dry goods and the end of the world is gonna be delicious.  -French G

Balog

• friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #29 on: February 07, 2008, 04:38:11 PM »
I bought some silver thermal paste and canned air. I'll try it with the stock fan and see how it goes.

I should've done it already, but damn.... after the last time I'm a bit nervous.  undecided

If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

Sergeant Bob

• friend
« Reply #30 on: February 07, 2008, 05:29:48 PM »
I bought some silver thermal paste and canned air. I'll try it with the stock fan and see how it goes.

I should've done it already, but damn.... after the last time I'm a bit nervous.  undecided

If you're nervous, just use the stock pad on the bottom of the heat sink. Make sure you peel off the protective plastic layer before you install it though! grin
If you do use the silver, make sure you don't use too much. Most of it's conductive so any excess might drip when it gets hot and could short something out.

Some people like to put a dab on and spread it with a single edged razor blade, using it like a scraper to ensure only a minimal amount is left on the processor.
What I like to do is take a piece of saran wrap" and stretch it tight over the end of my finger and spread it on. Then I take the heat sink and set it on the cpu and wiggle it a bit, then take it off and check the coverage. Then either wipe some off (using my saran wrapped" finger) or put a bit more on if necessary.

If it has the same sort of latching mechanism as the AM2", it is simply a lever you just latch down until it locks. Pretty much fool proof. Not a lot of danger of chipping or installing it improperly.

Once you do it successfully you're going to be surprised how easy it really is.
Personally, I do not understand how a bunch of people demanding a bigger govt can call themselves anarchist.
I meet lots of folks like this, claim to be anarchist but really they're just liberals with pierced genitals. - gunsmith

I already have canned butter, buying more. Canned blueberries, some pancake making dry goods and the end of the world is gonna be delicious.  -French G

Balog

• friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #31 on: February 07, 2008, 06:46:47 PM »
Yeah, putting the cpu in was a cakewalk. It was bolting the mobo down that gave me fits; damn grounding problems.  sad And when the result of the last time you put something together was that something self-destructed, well......

Balog

• friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #32 on: February 12, 2008, 05:08:45 PM »
Got the Q6600 and board from Fry's. Install everything, using stock fan. Plug it in and let 'er rip. Fan spins, drive opens and closes, LED's on the case glow, and on the monitor..... nothing. Just says "Invalid sync" like it used to when I turned it on with the computer off. D'oh!

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #33 on: February 12, 2008, 06:04:02 PM »
Got the Q6600 and board from Fry's. Install everything, using stock fan. Plug it in and let 'er rip. Fan spins, drive opens and closes, LED's on the case glow, and on the monitor..... nothing. Just says "Invalid sync" like it used to when I turned it on with the computer off. D'oh!

Question 1: Does your motherboard have on-board video?

Question 2: Does your system have a stand-alone video card?

If the answer to question one is "Yes" and question 2 is "No", make sure your on-board video is enabled in the BIOS setup.

If the answer to question 1 is "Yes" and question 2 is also "Yes", then disable the on-board video in BIOS.  (There are some situations where you would leave it enabled, however, but this is not one of them.)

If the answer to question 1 is "No" and question 2 is "Yes", then you might try reseating the video card.  Whether it is in an AGP slot or a PCIe slot, they can sometimes be inserted a little off and not work.  When that happens, it usually does not harm the video card.  Just reseat it, being careful in how you put it in its slot, and try again.

If the answer to question 1 is "No" and question 2 is "Yes", and the steps in the above paragraph don't work, then you may have a toasted video card.

If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #34 on: February 12, 2008, 06:21:03 PM »

Video card on the way tomorrow.  I have a stack of them, so no biggie.  I'll toss in an older PC.  Nothing fancy, but functioning.  If I'm feeling malicious, I'll send ya a pallet of CRT's too.   angel
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #35 on: February 13, 2008, 03:26:19 AM »

Video card on the way tomorrow.  I have a stack of them, so no biggie.  I'll toss in an older PC.  Nothing fancy, but functioning.  If I'm feeling malicious, I'll send ya a pallet of CRT's too.   angel

Keep yer pallets of CRTs away from me & mine!  I just donated my last 21" Dell flat CRT to the Salvation Army...'cause nobody wanted the boat anchor, awesome picture or not.  It sure kept the room warm in winter....
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #36 on: February 13, 2008, 09:48:52 AM »
I just donated my last 21" Dell flat CRT to the Salvation Army...'cause nobody wanted the boat anchor, awesome picture or not.

undecided

Awwww, man.  Why couldn't you have lived around here.  I woulda bought you a hamburger for it.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #37 on: February 15, 2008, 10:22:36 AM »
Balog, I just followed suit and upgraded my existing system.

I was running:
Asus M2V series motherboard (can't remember the exact model)
AMD Athlon 64 X2 3800
2GB 800mhz RAM 5-5-5-15 timing
ATI Radeon 1600XT PCI-E video
Windows XP 64bit

Moving to:
Gigabyte ga-m68sm motherboard
AMD Athlon 64 X2 5000
4GB 800mhz RAM 4-4-4-12 timing
NVidia GT8600 PCI-E video
Windows XP 64bit

I'll probably up the ram to 6-8GB in a month or so... I run Virtual Servers of the latest software for training and evaluation purposes, (Windows 2008 server, SQL 2008, etc) so I use a lot of ram on my machine.  The motherboard I went with supports up to 16GB. Smiley
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!