Author Topic: Kit explains how I feel about America at this point  (Read 3378 times)

Finch

• Fading Freedoms
Re: Kit explains how I feel about America at this point
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2008, 11:09:33 AM »
Theres one thing about my personality I think most folks who know me already know, and that is, I tend not to do things that I cant be good at. If I am reasonably sure I cant succeed at something (or at least not without an amount of effort I am not willing or interesting to put forth) I dont bother. Im interested in being happy and successful, and I know myself well enough to know my strong points. Playing to my strengths is fun and makes me happy, so thats what I do.

I used to write about politics all the time. That was back when I thought my side could win. I still keep up with the issues, but Ive come to the same realization that Jayman has - America does not want what I want out of government. America loves big government. They dont care about taxes and punishing producers and the non-scalability of things like health care and school systems. America wants Big Brother to make them feel safe. America wants Nanny Government to give them money, food, health care, and whatever else America thinks its entitled to loot, courtesy of the producers.

Ive been following with interest several threads on conservative blogger Rachel Lucas blog wherein conservative bloggers are arguing over whether its moral for them to stay home rather than vote for McCain, or whether they should even go full tilt and vote for Obama/Clinton.

But&. McCain, Obama, Clinton - theyre all poisoned.

Thats what America wants, because theyve spent years building up an immunity to authoritarian government-is-my-One-True-God slavery. This isnt a place for freedom lovers any more, and I will likely be in the minority for the rest of my life. My vote isnt going to count (in national elections at least) for anything except a depressing whisper of protest, probably ever again. I cant succeed at it, which makes me feel like maybe isnt worth doing.

Yeah, that's a pretty accurate summation of my feelings also.
Truth is treason in the empire of lies - Ron Paul

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2008, 12:34:22 PM »
Wow, never seen that place before. Good stuff.
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

MrRezister

• I resist. It's what I do.
  • friend
  • Shank, shank, shank mommy's ankles!
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2008, 05:03:29 AM »
Sad but true.  I actually almost talked myself into not voting in the primary.  Sometimes I wonder if the PTB think they have a vested interest in reducing the numbers of voters every year.
He never brought you an unbalanced budget, which is a perennial joke. He never voted himself a wage increase and, to this day, gives back part of his salary every year. He has always voted to preserve the Constitution, cut government spending, lower healthcare costs, end the war on drugs, secure our borders with immigration reform and protect our civil liberties.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2008, 06:23:28 AM »
So I'm not the only one with that degree of desperation...?

About the only "hope" that I have now is either:

1) the feral govt and its associated empire gets so big and cumbersome that it finally collapses on itself like the USSR

2) direct asteroid strike on the District of Criminals

Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

Finch

• Fading Freedoms
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2008, 07:49:21 AM »

Eh. Who ever survives would probably blame it on terrorists to further justify even bigger government.
Truth is treason in the empire of lies - Ron Paul

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2008, 09:10:50 AM »

Eh. Who ever survives would probably blame it on terrorists to further justify even bigger government.

But, hopefully they would be (for a time, at least) out of commo with the levers of power...so we could put a round in their pate and hang them upside-down form a lamp post, Il Duce-style.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

wooderson

• friend
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2008, 10:25:07 AM »
Um, yeah, Americans are not, and have never been, laissez-faire fundamentalists. This is a shock somehow?
"The famously genial grin turned into a rictus of senile fury: I was looking at a cruel and stupid lizard."

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2008, 11:04:04 AM »
Sometimes I wonder if the PTB think they have a vested interest in reducing the numbers of voters every year.   

The powers that be?  I'd prefer a lower voter turn-out myself.  Do you want dumb folks to vote, or something?   
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

MrRezister

• I resist. It's what I do.
  • friend
  • Shank, shank, shank mommy's ankles!
« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2008, 11:13:10 AM »

The powers that be?  I'd prefer a lower voter turn-out myself.  Do you want dumb folks to vote, or something?   

I want more Americans to feel like they have some vested interest in who gets into office beyond "Who is going to cut me the biggest check?".
He never brought you an unbalanced budget, which is a perennial joke. He never voted himself a wage increase and, to this day, gives back part of his salary every year. He has always voted to preserve the Constitution, cut government spending, lower healthcare costs, end the war on drugs, secure our borders with immigration reform and protect our civil liberties.

Antibubba

• friend
« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2008, 10:46:27 PM »
I'd wondered where her website went.
If life gives you melons, you may be dyslexic.

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2008, 04:14:44 AM »
Her blog & the Rachel Lucas blog has solidified my voting strategy for Texas' March 4th open primary. For the first time since Clinton's first term, I'm voting for a Democrat, Barak Obama.....

Why? Because I don't see Obama making it to a second term. He's like a Jimmy Carter to Hillary's LBJ (a more masterful politician/criminal than even Slick Willie). If Hillary gets in, she'll get two terms....

Then, in the general election in November, I'm finding a third-party candidate that most closely reflects my conservative/strict-Constitutionalsist views and vote for him/her. I'll probably be voting Constitution Party (www.constitutionparty.org) again like I did in 2004. That way, if the GOP wants my vote back, they'll know where to move to get it.

Will this strategy work?......Guess we'll know in four years.....
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.