Main Forums > The Roundtable

How do you clean your keyboard?

<< < (3/5) > >>

Azrael256:
Throw your keyboard away, and get a better one.

I used to take mine apart, scrub out the top with a brush and soapy water, wait two hours for it to dry, and then never get it back together quite right.  I survived on that keyboard for a good while.

Now, I have a keyboard I can toss in the dishwasher.  Google "virtually indestructible keyboard."  It's from a company called GrandTec.  The whole thing is completely sealed, and flexible.  You'll get used to the different type of keys pretty quick, and you can clean it in 30 seconds with one of those clorox wipes.

Standing Wolf:
I just use paper towels and a squirt bottle of Windex, plus a few Q Tips for the odd spots.

As cheap as keyboards are nowadays, the smart thing to do would be to buy a new one once a year or so; unfortunately, there aren't many split Macintosh keyboards still on the market.

Guest:
Umm, Since I use a ThinkPad - I don't think  cleaning mine in the dishwasher, under the sink, or tossing it is an option.

Most of what I learned on was on a Laptop; My home PC is a Laptop. You think I type bad as is - a regular Desktop and keyboard is really scary.  

Yeah I know - typical Steve, going about matters different than everyone else.  

jamz:

--- Quote ---Umm, Since I use a ThinkPad - I don't think  cleaning mine in the dishwasher, under the sink, or tossing it is an option.
:
Actually, Steve, it still is- if you turn it over, there are two or three screws with a little imprint of a keyboard next to them (My R40 has two such screws).

If you back those screws out, you can remove the keyboard from the rest of the laptop and go to town cleaning!  Although I'd make sure it's still under warantee before actually putting the keyboard in water though.  

Love, James

Taurus:
The keys pop out and pop back in, like some others here have said. Just keep in mind: Make sure you keep track of where all the keys go if you take them all out at once, or else you will need to follow a keyboard diagram.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version