Author Topic: Che Guevara Flags in Obama's Houston Office  (Read 34830 times)

RadioFreeSeaLab

• friend
Re: Che Guevara Flags in Obama's Houston Office
« Reply #25 on: February 13, 2008, 09:51:04 AM »
Disrespect or not, doesn't matter.  The point is, it's there. It's telling.  If Huckabee had a Swastika flag in one of his campaign offices, the media would go apeshit, and rightly so.  And we would all be in the right for wondering just exactly what Huckabee believes. 

Sergeant Bob

• friend
« Reply #26 on: February 13, 2008, 10:57:43 AM »

True, but the US flag is not necessarily being disrespected.  The other flags are not higher than the US flag.  The communist flag is just a piece of cloth hangign on a pole.  I dont believe it is a flag of another nation so it is not necessarily a sign of disrespect.

To quote James Fitzer:
Look man... I'm not here to debate with you. I just find it laughable how you jump into threads to stir up trouble. Your pseudo-intellectual verbal vomitus isn't impressive, and I'm getting tired of reading somewhat interesting threads only to have a complete "WTF" moment when I reach your post.
Personally, I do not understand how a bunch of people demanding a bigger govt can call themselves anarchist.
I meet lots of folks like this, claim to be anarchist but really they're just liberals with pierced genitals. - gunsmith

I already have canned butter, buying more. Canned blueberries, some pancake making dry goods and the end of the world is gonna be delicious.  -French G

Strings

« Reply #27 on: February 13, 2008, 11:03:05 AM »
>Vote for Che.......he's dead.......<

Paging Bogie, we've got a new bumper sticker!

James Fitzer

« Reply #28 on: February 13, 2008, 11:18:18 AM »
I feel honored someone is including my rant in a sig line :-D

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #29 on: February 13, 2008, 11:36:31 AM »
Yep, Tecumseh has stepped up his campaign to replace Fistful.....

fistful, I could never get mad at you - you are very important to this board.  We need a scapegoat, and well, you're it.   - ex-ma hole
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

Sergeant Bob

• friend
« Reply #30 on: February 13, 2008, 12:03:56 PM »
I feel honored someone is including my rant in a sig line :-D
I read his post and all I could say was....you guessed it. grin

I couldn't have said it any better than you did Fitz.
Personally, I do not understand how a bunch of people demanding a bigger govt can call themselves anarchist.
I meet lots of folks like this, claim to be anarchist but really they're just liberals with pierced genitals. - gunsmith

I already have canned butter, buying more. Canned blueberries, some pancake making dry goods and the end of the world is gonna be delicious.  -French G

CAnnoneer

• friend
« Reply #31 on: February 13, 2008, 12:58:31 PM »
Well Andrew Jackson had murdered more people in office than that while in office.  And he was re-elected!!!

Please find examples where Jackson would personally shoot tied prisoners in the back of the head. Comrade Che was famous for that.

The reality is that Che is a mistaken symbol of nonconformism and progressive change to modern and past misinformed youth, especially with his wild hair, latin looks, and nonchalant beret. But, the real Che was nothing but a cruel, violent authoritarian, who was far to the left of Fidel. He was a mixture of Stalin and Dzerjinskii and would have turned Cuba into a GULag if Fidel had let him. Che chose to live a life of violence and ended up exactly the way he deserved. It was fitting that he was executed in a manner similar to the one he himself had employed in numerous occasions.

Frankly, any youth with a Che shirt or an aging youth with a Che decal on their SUV are telling me that they either are murderous leftist maniacs or just misinformed dumbasses. I am usually generous and give them the benefit of doubt by assuming the latter.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #32 on: February 13, 2008, 01:21:38 PM »
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #33 on: February 13, 2008, 02:24:01 PM »
Yep, Tecumseh has stepped up his campaign to replace Fistful.....

fistful, I could never get mad at you - you are very important to this board.  We need a scapegoat, and well, you're it.   - ex-ma hole

Tecumseh doesn't have the cojones to take the amount of blame that fistful can......

....and I can understand fistful's avatar......
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

Bogie

• friend
  • Hunkered in South St. Louis, right by Route 66
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #34 on: February 13, 2008, 02:26:59 PM »
Blog under construction

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #35 on: February 13, 2008, 03:05:32 PM »
Quote from: Tecumseh
I dont believe it is a flag of another nation so it is not necessarily a sign of disrespect.

Looks like a Cuban flag with Che superimposed, and it's to the Right of the US Flag, therefore holding the "Place of Honour". 

Also there are not just one Cuban "Che" Flags in the office but two.     
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

De Selby

• friend
« Reply #36 on: February 13, 2008, 05:43:55 PM »
Disrespect or not, doesn't matter.  The point is, it's there. It's telling.  If Huckabee had a Swastika flag in one of his campaign offices, the media would go apeshit, and rightly so.  And we would all be in the right for wondering just exactly what Huckabee believes. 

I don't think Che was a good guy, but there is simply no comparison between what the Nazis did and what Che did.  Totally different scale of misery and evil, and I think the popular reactions to Che tshirts versus Swastikas rightly reflect that.
"Human existence being an hallucination containing in itself the secondary hallucinations of day and night (the latter an insanitary condition of the atmosphere due to accretions of black air) it ill becomes any man of sense to be concerned at the illusory approach of the supreme hallucination known as death."

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #37 on: February 13, 2008, 06:11:02 PM »

I don't think Che was a good guy, but there is simply no comparison between what the Nazis did and what Che did.  Totally different scale of misery and evil, and I think the popular reactions to Che tshirts versus Swastikas rightly reflect that.

Well, Che wasn't as successful as Hitler. But then Hitler wasn't as successful as Stalin and Mao ie communists. So by your logic pro communist stuff should in fact be worse than pro nazi stuff, right?
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

cassandra and sara's daddy

« Reply #38 on: February 13, 2008, 06:25:04 PM »
deleted

Strings

« Reply #39 on: February 13, 2008, 07:49:34 PM »
Oh man, Bogie... I SO need a couple of those!

Paddy

« Reply #40 on: February 13, 2008, 08:23:28 PM »
So what's anybody gonna do about it?  If Obama gets the Dem nomination, he'll probably get elected as POTUS.  The best the idiot Republicans can do is that weird old coot McCain.  Nobody wants his tired old ass in the Whitehouse.

De Selby

• friend
« Reply #41 on: February 13, 2008, 09:44:53 PM »

Well, Che wasn't as successful as Hitler. But then Hitler wasn't as successful as Stalin and Mao ie communists. So by your logic pro communist stuff should in fact be worse than pro nazi stuff, right?

Uh, no-as far as I'm aware, the Communists (even the rabid anti-semites like Stalin) didn't engineer a system for exterminating a whole race of people just because that race was called "Jewish." 

That's a level of evil that is without parallel-pogroms and racism are one thing; actually setting up state infrastructure to engineer exterimnation, including calculations as to the precise killing rate needed for "a final solution", is something entirely more sinister.
"Human existence being an hallucination containing in itself the secondary hallucinations of day and night (the latter an insanitary condition of the atmosphere due to accretions of black air) it ill becomes any man of sense to be concerned at the illusory approach of the supreme hallucination known as death."

CAnnoneer

• friend
« Reply #42 on: February 13, 2008, 10:14:05 PM »
Uh, no-as far as I'm aware, the Communists (even the rabid anti-semites like Stalin) didn't engineer a system for exterminating a whole race of people just because that race was called "Jewish." 

That's a level of evil that is without parallel-pogroms and racism are one thing; actually setting up state infrastructure to engineer exterimnation, including calculations as to the precise killing rate needed for "a final solution", is something entirely more sinister.

Which methods or motivations are more reprehensible are a matter of subjective judgment. The stark numbers of the victims are not. In that regard, communism beats the pants out of nazism hands down.

Regolith

• friend
« Reply #43 on: February 13, 2008, 10:17:44 PM »

No, they just set up gulags to execute dissidents (a large number of which were Jews), harsh labor camps, engineered mass famine, etc etc etc.  Mao Zedong and Stalin's mass murders make the Holocaust look like a speed bump.
The price of freedom is eternal vigilance. - Thomas Jefferson

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves. - William Pitt the Younger

Perfectly symmetrical violence never solved anything. - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

BridgeWalker

« Reply #44 on: February 14, 2008, 12:17:38 AM »

Wait, so the murder of ten million people is less reprehensible somehow because the Russians were less focused on the *math*?!?!

Why are we talking about this again?  Color me confused.  Murder bad.  Che bad.  Ideologies that believe in mass murder as a means of achieving social engineering also bad.  People who subscribe to such ideologies?  Bad.

Personally, I'm about equally averse to being murdered for being a Jew and being murdered for belonging to the wrong party.

Declaration Day

• friends
« Reply #45 on: February 14, 2008, 02:15:15 AM »

LAK

• friend
« Reply #46 on: February 14, 2008, 02:39:33 AM »
If enough people hadn't been gelded and joined Joe McCarthy we wouldn't be watching our nation headed towards the ideological, cultural and economic shipwreck that lies ahead.

As painful as it might be, it might be a case of watching it sink to the bottom and building another from scratch.

-------------------------------

http://searchronpaul.com
http://ussliberty.org/oldindex.html
http://www.gtr5.com
http://ssunitedstates.org

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #47 on: February 14, 2008, 05:18:27 AM »

Okay, now that's just lack of research. Refer to Regolith's post and do some reading. The Nazis were reprehensible, but they were nowhere close to the Soviets and pre-Soviets in number of manufactured deaths. No, they weren't all Jewish. Just insert any number of other ethnicities.

I don't understand this line of thinking. Something similar came up in a topic some months ago, and the left leaning members of the forum were practically defending Eurasian massacres as part of their talking points regarding Nazi atrocities.

Bridgewalker has put this in simple to understand terms: Murder bad. What I find reprehensible is people semi-defending Che because, "Hey, he only killed a few thousand people".

Stalin=bad
Hitler=bad
Guevara=bad
Murder=bad
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

BridgeWalker

« Reply #48 on: February 14, 2008, 05:23:18 AM »

heheheh.  Some local undegrad (I live in the backyard of Michigan State University) actually drives around with two bumper stickers on his car: Free Tibet, and Che.  Huh?

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #49 on: February 14, 2008, 05:41:53 AM »
You know, I'd LOVE a free Tibet.

But I just don't know where I'd keep it.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.