Author Topic: Top psychiatrist concludes liberals are clinically nuts!  (Read 3202 times)

Desertdog

• friends
Top psychiatrist concludes liberals are clinically nuts!
« on: February 17, 2008, 12:41:05 PM »
Top psychiatrist concludes liberals are clinically nuts!
Makes case ideology is mental disorder
http://www.worldnetdaily.com/index.php?fa=PAGE.view&pageId=56494

WASHINGTON  Just when liberals thought it was safe to start identifying themselves as such, an acclaimed, veteran psychiatrist is making the case that the ideology motivating them is actually a mental disorder.

"Based on strikingly irrational beliefs and emotions, modern liberals relentlessly undermine the most important principles on which our freedoms were founded," says Dr. Lyle Rossiter, author of the new book, "The Liberal Mind: The Psychological Causes of Political Madness." "Like spoiled, angry children, they rebel against the normal responsibilities of adulthood and demand that a parental government meet their needs from cradle to grave."

While political activists on the other side of the spectrum have made similar observations, Rossiter boasts professional credentials and a life virtually free of activism and links to "the vast right-wing conspiracy."

For more than 35 years he has diagnosed and treated more than 1,500 patients as a board-certified clinical psychiatrist and examined more than 2,700 civil and criminal cases as a board-certified forensic psychiatrist. He received his medical and psychiatric training at the University of Chicago.

Rossiter says the kind of liberalism being displayed by the two major candidates for the Democratic Party presidential nomination can only be understood as a psychological disorder.

"A social scientist who understands human nature will not dismiss the vital roles of free choice, voluntary cooperation and moral integrity  as liberals do," he says. "A political leader who understands human nature will not ignore individual differences in talent, drive, personal appeal and work ethic, and then try to impose economic and social equality on the population  as liberals do. And a legislator who understands human nature will not create an environment of rules which over-regulates and over-taxes the nation's citizens, corrupts their character and reduces them to wards of the state  as liberals do."

Dr. Rossiter says the liberal agenda preys on weakness and feelings of inferiority in the population by:

creating and reinforcing perceptions of victimization;
satisfying infantile claims to entitlement, indulgence and compensation;
augmenting primitive feelings of envy;
rejecting the sovereignty of the individual, subordinating him to the will of the government.

"The roots of liberalism  and its associated madness  can be clearly identified by understanding how children develop from infancy to adulthood and how distorted development produces the irrational beliefs of the liberal mind," he says. "When the modern liberal mind whines about imaginary victims, rages against imaginary villains and seeks above all else to run the lives of persons competent to run their own lives, the neurosis of the liberal mind becomes painfully obvious."

BridgeWalker

Re: Top psychiatrist concludes liberals are clinically nuts!
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2008, 01:15:16 PM »
y'know, as nice as it sounds to label people who disagree with me as insane, it's even more alarming that a psychiatric professional is now arguing that about half the nation is mentally ill.

I just yearn for the good ol' days, when to be considered crazy you had to wander around convinced aliens were parked in teh tip of your noe, or if you hung on to your dead spouse's body for long enough it would come back to life, or that the floor randomly turned into water. 

I don't really like a world where political petulance (aka liberalism) = crazy.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2008, 06:15:33 PM »
about half the nation is mentally ill

Really Huh?

I would have guessed more like 95%  grin
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

Bogie

• friend
  • Hunkered in South St. Louis, right by Route 66
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2008, 06:19:25 PM »
Define "mental illness."

After you define "it."

Sigh...

There are a LOT of folks out there who seem incapable of coupling rational thought with logic and facts.

Denial?

Methinx that they're up De Nile widdout a paddle...

Blog under construction

ArfinGreebly

• Level Three Geek
  • friend
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2008, 10:43:57 PM »
Oh boy.

Michael Savage is gonna love that.

I almost wish I could get his program up here.

It would be something to hear the rant that will follow this.

"Look at it this way. If America frightens you, feel free to live somewhere else. There are plenty of other countries that don't suffer from excessive liberty. America is where the Liberty is. Liberty is not certified safe."

Werewolf

• friend
  • Lead, Follow or Get the HELL out of the WAY!
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2008, 05:37:08 AM »
Sounds to me like what the good Dr is saying is that liberals essentially never grew up and still require/desire parental supervision/safety.

As adults they substitute government for parents.

My guess is that liberal politicians have grown up, fully understand those that haven't and pander to them in order to get their votes.

Despicable - yes.
Evil - probably
Nuts - hardly
Life is short, Break the rules, Forgive quickly, Kiss slowly, Love
truly, Laugh uncontrollably, And never regret anything that made you smile.

Fight Me Online

Tecumseh

• friend
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2008, 05:41:13 AM »
World Net Daily?  Come on. 

I would argue that conservatives are blind.

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2008, 05:46:56 AM »
Well, if someone thinks that a criminal who ignores laws banning robbery and murder is for some reason going to obey a gun law, they certainly have a problem with their grasp on reality, yes.

Also, the excuse they're using now for opposing concealed carry on campuses. "Concealed carry holders could make it worse!"
...WHAT IS WORSE than a one-sided massacre? Huh?

gunsmith

• I forgot to get vaccinated!
  • friend
  • I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2008, 09:00:00 AM »
They are plain nuts! ......the libs insist that only their sworn enemies have weapons.
Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."

Firethorn

• friend
  • Where'd my explosive space modulator go?
« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2008, 09:56:29 AM »
Also, the excuse they're using now for opposing concealed carry on campuses. "Concealed carry holders could make it worse!"
...WHAT IS WORSE than a one-sided massacre? Huh?

The very point I used to convince a person that way...

I posed the question, using examples.

What's the worst case scenario for an unopposed gunman?  The gunman kills everybody he wants to.  In the last two nationalized school shootings, both shooters managed to kill everybody they wanted to before committing suicide.  Thus, I'd propose that it's pretty much the worst case scenario.

What's the worst case scenario if an citizen shooter is present?  Off duty police officer, military, even outright civilian?  Maybe one or two more shot due to missing.

However, what's far more likely?  We have a number of cases where a holder of a concealed weapon, in a civilian capacity, has responded to mass shooters.  The worst case I've heard of is that the civilian DIED*, but in doing so distracted the shooter from killing anybody else before the police were able to respond and kill the shooter.

The best cases have resulted in a dead shooter and no further innocent casualties.  They're the vast majority of the cases.

I figure the odds are, from most likely to least:
1.  Defender disables/kills shooter, preventing further casualties
2.  Defender engages shooter but fails(due to poor aim or body armor), shooter most likely wastes ammunition and time engaging in a gunfight** with the defender.
3.  Defender is killed before being able to respond(happened to be first)
4.  Defender is killed quickly and the shooter gets the weapon/ammo to increase rampage.  Difference being that the shooter normally carries enough ammo to complete shootings anyways.
5.  Defender kills innocent before being killed by shooter, making situation worse.

*the texas courthouse shooting
** As in a gunfight it's no longer target practice and cover becomes an operating part of the equation.  The defender probably already has at least partial concealment.

coppertales

• friend
« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2008, 10:23:20 AM »
Ditto what werewolf said............................................chris3

coppertales

• friend
« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2008, 10:25:00 AM »
Also, someone please send this to Allen Combes over at Fox......chris3

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #12 on: February 18, 2008, 12:41:54 PM »
It has been postulated that a working definition of insanity is to keep repeating the same action, with the expectation of achieving a different result.

After oh so many years of ever-increasing gun control and exponentially increasing numbers of anti-gun laws, the result is ... more people being killed by guns. To those of us who want nothing more than to be allowed the freedom to shoot back, it appears blatantly obvious that the gun control "solution" doesn't work and that we should repeal all those laws and allow the Constitution to hold sway.

The liberals, however, think the answer to 20,000+ anti-gun laws not achieving the desired result is to enact still more anti-gun laws.

Yep. "Insane" works for me.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #13 on: February 18, 2008, 01:28:08 PM »
P.J. O'Roukre said it years ago.

Something to the effect that it takes a seriously distrubed brain to conclude that unborn children need to die, while convicted murderers should walk free. 
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

Antibubba

• friend
« Reply #14 on: February 19, 2008, 07:01:10 AM »
Not to rebut his conclusions, but has he looked at some of the wackos on the Right lately?? Like Mike "God helped me in the primaries" Huckabee?  And some of the Paulistas were certainly off their meds.
If life gives you melons, you may be dyslexic.

Tecumseh

• friend
« Reply #15 on: February 19, 2008, 09:21:07 AM »
Not to rebut his conclusions, but has he looked at some of the wackos on the Right lately?? Like Mike "God helped me in the primaries" Huckabee?  And some of the Paulistas were certainly off their meds.
  Yeah but Huckabee attributing some of his wins to God blew my mind.  By his logic the Pope could be President of the United States simply because he is God's lil' buddy.