Author Topic: [s]Going[/s] Went snowboarding for the first time...  (Read 5037 times)

mgdavis

• friend
[s]Going[/s] Went snowboarding for the first time...
« on: February 23, 2008, 01:36:26 PM »
on Saturday, as long as the road up to Stevens Pass is passable. My buddy finally talked me in to going, after spending several years listening to me saying that I had zero interest in strapping a slippery board to my feet and throwing myself down a mountain. I've got to work Sunday, so hopefully I won't break anything important.

Manedwolf

• friend
Re: Going snowboarding for the first time...
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2008, 01:39:00 PM »
The first maneuver you will master is known as the "face plant".  cheesy

mgdavis

• friend
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2008, 02:03:12 PM »
quickly followed by the wipe-out, the biff, the tumble, the tuck-and-roll...

Polishrifleman

• friend
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2008, 02:33:43 PM »
Duct tape a pillow to your arse.

Remember it's better to laugh last. grin

Bogie

• friend
  • Hunkered in South St. Louis, right by Route 66
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2008, 03:55:32 PM »
Dude, can we be in, like, your will?

Blog under construction

thebaldguy

• friends
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2008, 04:11:55 PM »
I taught snowboarding part time at a local place for years. Most people picked it up pretty quickly. I taught several friends and they were linking turns after a few hours. It may be too late, but get yourself a lesson. It will help. You will get beat up pretty bad your first day. Don't give up. Please note that smoking weed is optional and not required. I found that people who have skateboard/surf experience generally learn the quickest. Soft groomed snow is the best to learn on if possible. It's easier to turn on and fall on than boilerplate ice.

Riding in deep soft virgin (heh heh, I said "virgin!") powder on a snowboard rules. It's like surfing on perfect soft clouds. Did I mention the smoking weed part?

mgdavis

• friend
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2008, 04:22:18 PM »
Did I mention the smoking weed part?

Air Force would get upset if I failed a UA. Besides, that's high school stuff. I'll be the guy with the flask of rum.  grin

Bogie

• friend
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2008, 05:03:18 PM »
Flasks really, really hurt when you fall on them.

Blog under construction

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2008, 05:04:37 PM »
Did I mention the smoking weed part?

Air Force would get upset if I failed a UA. Besides, that's high school stuff. I'll be the guy with the flask of rum.  grin

Might be too late now, but I was going to suggest wrist gaurds.  Broken wrists is a common injury from what I've been told.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

mgdavis

• friend
« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2008, 05:11:58 PM »
My wrists will have to rely on my amazing good luck, unless I can rent wrist guards. I do plan on renting a helmet. I'm not going to make this more than a once a year thing, if even that much, so I'm not going to be buying much gear.

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2008, 05:13:35 PM »
Flasks really, really hurt when you fall on them.

So did early model iPods.

Sergeant Bob

• friend
« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2008, 06:29:08 PM »
One good thing about learning to snowboard as opposed to skiing, you don't have to worry nearly as much about doing a reverse crotch split. shocked

When I was around 12 years old (circa 1969) a friend of mine had a wide wooden ski called a "Snurfer". It had a rope with a loop to hold onto, and a bunch of staples to grip your boots and keep you from slipping off (which failed when they became packed with snow).
I asked my buddy why not put some type of binding on it like on a slalom water ski. He said it was a dumb idea and would never catch on........ sad
Personally, I do not understand how a bunch of people demanding a bigger govt can call themselves anarchist.
I meet lots of folks like this, claim to be anarchist but really they're just liberals with pierced genitals. - gunsmith

I already have canned butter, buying more. Canned blueberries, some pancake making dry goods and the end of the world is gonna be delicious.  -French G

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2008, 06:36:00 PM »
I broke a wrist once on ice, and I have no desire to do so again. That freaking HURT, and it took endless squeezeball exercise, then increasing weight curls on a machine to keep the muscles from atrophying. Which hurt.

I don't want to do that again.

Bigjake

• friend
« Reply #13 on: February 24, 2008, 05:35:15 AM »
Bestest thing about snowboarding has already been mentioned, no legs being splayed in unnatural positions.  Second best thing, 1 piece of gear, not 4, 2 of which capable of impaling you....

Bigjake, former skier and snowboarder.

AmbulanceDriver

• Junior Rocketeer
  • friends
« Reply #14 on: February 24, 2008, 09:50:59 AM »
If it's not too late already, paint the word "HELP" on the underside of your board....   grin
Are you a cook, or a RIFLEMAN?  Find out at Appleseed!

http://www.appleseedinfo.org

"For some many people, attempting to process a logical line of thought brings up the blue screen of death." -Blakenzy

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #15 on: February 24, 2008, 02:24:51 PM »
Lean back, the skiers on the lift(me) point and laugh a lot less when you sit down on your butt than when you hook the front edge and snap over nose first into the hardpack.  grin Never plan on boarding, enjoy stupid skiing too much.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

mgdavis

• friend
« Reply #16 on: March 02, 2008, 08:21:46 AM »
Well, I've been snowboarding now. Turns out that I learned a totally new (to me) way of falling, which I was informed is known as "helicoptering". I got helicoptering down to an art.  undecided

The short version: Rented board, boots, and helmet. Got owned by the bunny hill, repeatedly. Experienced a variety of falls, many induced by catching the front edge of my board. Cracked the back of my head hard enough during one tumble that I had a headache, even with the helmet; without the helmet I'd have likely been knocked out. After a half dozen "green circle" runs with my buddy coaching, I attempted a "blue square". I got even more owned by that run. I then decided that I was going to head for the lodge before I killed myself. I told my mentor to go have fun, and find me when he was ready to head. I spent the rest of my time on the mountain with a cup of coffee, and watched the ten years old kids tear up the slalom.

Guess I'm just not a snowboarder.

Bogie

• friend
    • Third Rate Pundit
Re: [s]Going[/s] Went snowboarding for the first time...
« Reply #17 on: March 02, 2008, 10:07:42 AM »
You know, they really need to have aimable snowball catapaults available for rental to Old Farts...

Blog under construction

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #18 on: March 03, 2008, 07:45:42 PM »
Alot of my friends in Utah boarded.  They informed me it had a short but painful learning curve....kind of a when the light bulb comes on, its very bright moment thing.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
« Reply #19 on: March 03, 2008, 10:18:52 PM »
despite being a skier since i was a child, i finally tried to learn to snowboard a couple years ago. my butt, thighs and hands hurt after. plus side was i could make it down the mountain, negitive was i couldn't get off the lift without taking down my instructor.  rolleyes

i think i prefer ski's.
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds