Author Topic: Science disproves yet another bearthread!  (Read 2361 times)

El Tejon

• friend
    • http://www.kirkfreemanlaw.com
Science disproves yet another bearthread!
« on: July 28, 2005, 12:34:49 PM »
Take off your tinfoil and put down your cold whiskey bottle:  Canadian researchers have tested the "Bigfoot hair" given to them by a couple of foilers.  The hair turns out to be bison hair.  *kicks rocks*  Darn it, now, back to lviing in the real world with oxygen supplied to the brain.

To the bearthreaders:  Not to worry!  I have no doubt you will now claim it was Bigfoot wearing a bison-hair shirt!
I do not smoke pot, wear Wookie suits, live in my mom's basement, collect unemployment checks or eat Cheetoes, therefore I am not a Ron Paul voter.

Gun Runner

• friend
  • Citizens United Negating Tyranny
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2005, 09:20:51 AM »
So what does buffalo hair have to do with hair that's DNA tested and found to be an unknown species of primate living in North America?
"I once took the high road and it took me straight to hell, and I stood there all by myself" - III

...has left the building.

« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2005, 09:24:44 AM »
Teacher: Your current event, Napoleon.
Napoleon Dynamite: Last week, Japanese scientists explaced... placed explosive detonators at the bottom of Lake Loch Ness to blow Nessie out of the water. Sir Godfrey of the Nessie Alliance summoned the help of Scotland's local wizards to cast a protective spell over the lake and its local residents and all those who seek for the peaceful existence of our underwater ally.

« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2005, 12:48:14 AM »
Quote from: Gun Runner
So what does buffalo hair have to do with hair that's DNA tested and found to be an unknown species of primate living in North America?
Would you care to provide a reputable link showing an instance in which a hair was found and determined via DNA to be from an "unknown species of primate living in North America"?

Stand_watie

• friend
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2005, 01:47:38 AM »
I know this is slightly off topic, but is "bear" in the context of bigfoot an acronym or something?
Yizkor. Lo Od Pa'am

"You can have my gun when you pry it from my cold dead fingers"

"Never again"

"Malone Labe"

Gun Runner

• friend
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2005, 09:37:40 AM »
Would you care to provide a reputable link showing an instance in which a hair was found and determined via DNA to be from an "unknown species of primate living in North America"?
Nope.

Oh, wait.  Now I gotta find a link huh?  Do you think I just made that up?  Actually I saw it on TV, on a channel such as The Discovery Channel, or TLC.  I can look for a link if it makes you feel better, but then, I think you could look for your own link.

"declaring the hair "as being that of an unknown primate"  

""the hairs did not match specimens from any known animal species and that they had some characteristics common to both humans and nonhumans." "

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bigfoot#Hair_and_feces

http://www.bigfootencounters.com/biology/hair.htm

"....hair samples found in association with encounters that scientists have determined to be of unknown primate origin; and recorded vocalizations that bioacoustics analysts have determined to be of unknown primate origin."
http://www.texasbigfoot.com/

"10 samples found in three states represent an unknown primate"
http://www.oregonbigfoot.com/articles/meldrum_01.php
"I once took the high road and it took me straight to hell, and I stood there all by myself" - III

El Tejon

• friend
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2005, 11:35:32 AM »
Stand,

bearthread=a fictional story, usually involving bears and intoxicants (said intoxicants are usually left out of the stories).  "No kidding there I was alone with a Swiss Army knife, two bears and a unicorn coming right for me."
I do not smoke pot, wear Wookie suits, live in my mom's basement, collect unemployment checks or eat Cheetoes, therefore I am not a Ron Paul voter.

« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2005, 07:38:28 PM »
I'm not sure if there is such a thing as Bigfoot, but there's enough circumstantial evidence in my mind at least that it seems quite reasonable to believe in such a thing.

doczinn

• friend
« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2005, 05:36:08 AM »
Wikipedia and three Bigfoot enthusiast sites?
D. R. ZINN

Gun Runner

• friend
« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2005, 07:44:15 AM »
""  All you'd like.  Are you telling me they pulled this out of their ass to post on their site?  

The reason I didn't find any more links is because I got tired of wading through all the pages of buffalo hair related to the incident in the first post.  

Or was I supposed to sit here for hours and find more?

« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2005, 09:12:28 AM »
Quote from: Gun Runner
""  All you'd like.  Are you telling me they pulled this out of their ass to post on their site?
That does seem to happen a lot when people find a "cause" that has more to do with faith than fact.

Or was I supposed to sit here for hours and find more?
Cartainly not, I just expected that you had a source handy since you made the claim in the first place. Imagine if the sources that you linked "heard that fact" somewhere as well. A lot of "facts" can be traces to one guy making one thing up on a board much like this one. Eventually it works its way into other places and those start getting cited as sources.

Check out some of the stats on the Brady center page etc. A *lot* of those facts are random ignorant statements made by people in front of news cameras. Well, Brady picks up that statement and represents it on their page. Now other antigun groups can use that as a source. This is how some random ignorant individual can actually become an indirect source for some of the less reputable "scientific research" that we are flooded with these days.

Gun Runner

• friend
« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2005, 04:52:40 PM »
I didn't "hear it on the internet".  As I said, I saw it on TV.  

PBS, National Geographic, The Discovery Channel, The Learning Channel, I don't remember which, but one of them.

Warbow

• friend
« Reply #12 on: August 02, 2005, 07:48:52 PM »
Well, that doesn't help much either. Did you hear it on TV from a Bigfoot believer while the show was presenting their side of the issue? Or did the show actually send qualified scientists and/or researchers and verify that there is an actual sample of hair like that? Both on TV, but a huge difference between the two.

Gun Runner

• friend
« Reply #13 on: August 02, 2005, 09:08:11 PM »
Wow, this is getting funny.

You anti-bigfoot people are too much!

So some hair from an unknown primate was found in North America, big deal.  That sure doesn't prove anything, does it?  No, it doesn't.  On the other hand, it sure doesn't hurt the cause.

El Tejon

• friend
« Reply #14 on: August 03, 2005, 08:55:03 AM »
Gun, O.K., you got me there.  No, it does not disprove the existence of Bigfoot *kicks rock, hands in pocket*

« Reply #15 on: August 12, 2005, 07:21:37 AM »
There may have been "Bigfoots" (Bigfeet?) at one time, but certainly not now....

the goat suckers ate 'em all!!!