Author Topic: WTF?! ANOTHER school shooting! Alabama, just now.  (Read 8050 times)

Manedwolf

• friend
WTF?! ANOTHER school shooting! Alabama, just now.
« on: March 06, 2008, 08:25:37 AM »
But he only did himself, thankfully. But, selfishly, in front of a bunch of other kids.

Wonder if he was on under-researched antidepressants too? One thing is for sure, the media will be sure to do a full expose on his troubled life...which is why this keeps happening. Their twisted chance for fame.

What do you think is the culprit?

The psychoactive meds?
The media attention?
The fruit of a culture of indulgent parenting and entitled "me me me" youth finally ripening?

Police: Student dead after shooting himself at school
Posted by Ron Colquitt, Staff Reporter March 06, 2008 11:13 AM
Categories: Breaking News

A male student shot himself in the head at the Davidson High School gymnasium this morning in front of about 150 other students, according to Mobile police.

The teen walked into the gym shortly before 10 a.m. and fired one shot with a revolver into the ceiling before shooting himself, said Deputy Chief James Barber. The student, identified by police as Jajuan Holmes, 18, died at the scene.

The school temporarily went into lockdown.

Davidson will remain open today and extra counselors are being brought in, according to Nancy Pierce, a school system spokeswoman.

Parents can pick their children up if they want, she said, and some parents began arriving at the school following the shooting report.

Updates to include victim's name.

http://blog.al.com/live/2008/03/police_student_dead_after_shoo.html

Had to demand the attention of an audience...

El Tejon

• friend
    • http://www.kirkfreemanlaw.com
Re: WTF?! ANOTHER school shooting! Alabama, just now.
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2008, 08:31:36 AM »
It's getting to be the season for them.
I do not smoke pot, wear Wookie suits, live in my mom's basement, collect unemployment checks or eat Cheetoes, therefore I am not a Ron Paul voter.

The Viking

« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2008, 08:32:37 AM »
It's getting to be the season for them.
Does that mean we can go out and shoot THEM before they get the chance to shoot anyone?

HankB

• friend
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2008, 08:48:49 AM »
. . . What do you think is the culprit?

The psychoactive meds? . . .
It's very hard to find a school shooting where the perp is not somehow involved with prescribed psychoactive meds - it's almost to the point where you can have an office pool - "What drug will the next school shooter be found to have been using - ritalin, prozac, lithium, luvox, or . . . Huh?"

But point this out, and people will come out of the woodwork to denounce you for reasons ranging from their use of happy pills to a defense of modern psychiatry to condemnation of the evil GOP's reduction of nuthouse spending . . .
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Ex-MA Hole

• friend
    • The Brown Bomber
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2008, 08:51:23 AM »
Because we, as a society, make it front page news.

Take a kid with low self esteem, and make him famous.

How do you do it?

They figured it out.
One day at a time.

Paddy

« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2008, 08:55:11 AM »
Why do they always call these murderous premeditated criminal acts a 'tradgedy'?   I suggest two remedies:

1) Public execution of the killers

2) Multimillion dollar lawsuits against the schools where these murders occur.  That will get somebody's attention.

The Viking

« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2008, 09:07:13 AM »
. . . What do you think is the culprit?

The psychoactive meds? . . .
It's very hard to find a school shooting where the perp is not somehow involved with prescribed psychoactive meds - it's almost to the point where you can have an office pool - "What drug will the next school shooter be found to have been using - ritalin, prozac, lithium, luvox, or . . . Huh?"

But point this out, and people will come out of the woodwork to denounce you for reasons ranging from their use of happy pills to a defense of modern psychiatry to condemnation of the evil GOP's reduction of nuthouse spending . . .
What's wrong with lithium? A friend of mine has to use it (and a couple of others, manic depressive sad ). Is she in danger of going (even more) nuts?

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2008, 09:25:58 AM »
AFAIK, lithium is just a salt.

Most all recent rampagers have been on antipsychotics or selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors like Paxil.

IMO, those are not at all researched well enough, just tossed at angry kids.

The Viking

« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2008, 09:29:14 AM »
AFAIK, lithium is just a salt.

Most all recent rampagers have been on antipsychotics or selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors like Paxil.

IMO, those are not at all researched well enough, just tossed at angry kids.
I know that, and I know it is also used for treating manic depressives, among other things. Thing is one gets a bit worried when people throw it around "he/she was probably on lithium/Ritalin etc". Worried as in "WTF are they actually putting on the market?
Might be that those who don't need it are likely to go nutters if they get it, while bipolars benefit mentally from it?

Paddy

« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2008, 09:33:50 AM »
There has always been mental illness.  The widespread use of psychotropic drugs is a more recent practice.  Are there more 'school shootings' now than, say, 50 or 100 years ago?

AmbulanceDriver

• Junior Rocketeer
  • friends
« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2008, 09:35:43 AM »
Quote from: RileyMc
Why do they always call these murderous premeditated criminal acts a 'tradgedy'?   I suggest two remedies:

Works for me....

2) Multimillion dollar lawsuits against the schools where these murders occur.  That will get somebody's attention.

Don't exactly see the point of that one....  Can you expand a little?
Are you a cook, or a RIFLEMAN?  Find out at Appleseed!

http://www.appleseedinfo.org

"For some many people, attempting to process a logical line of thought brings up the blue screen of death." -Blakenzy

Paddy

« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2008, 09:44:13 AM »

People who have the ability to pay multimillions of dollars also have the power to determine what is necessary to prevent these murders. When their failure to act costs them personally, they will suddenly become interested in solving the problem.

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #12 on: March 06, 2008, 09:44:54 AM »

People who have the ability to pay multimillions of dollars also have the power to determine what is necessary to prevent these murders. When their failure to act costs them personally, they will suddenly become interested in solving the problem.

You know what they'd do. They'd put up "GUN FREE ZONE" stickers and metal detectors.

Paddy

« Reply #13 on: March 06, 2008, 09:46:05 AM »
You know what they'd do. They'd put up "GUN FREE ZONE" stickers and metal detectors.

And they'd continue paying huge damage awards as the killings continued.

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #14 on: March 06, 2008, 09:50:00 AM »
Nope. He'd show up and make it into a circus, and somehow get the taxpayers to pay.

MrRezister

• I resist. It's what I do.
  • friend
  • Shank, shank, shank mommy's ankles!
« Reply #15 on: March 06, 2008, 09:53:49 AM »
But he only did himself, thankfully. But, selfishly, in front of a bunch of other kids.

Wonder if he was on under-researched antidepressants too? One thing is for sure, the media will be sure to do a full expose on his troubled life...which is why this keeps happening. Their twisted chance for fame.

The psychoactive meds?
The media attention?
The fruit of a culture of indulgent parenting and entitled "me me me" youth finally ripening?

Don't be stupid.  The problem is clearly the fact that these poor, misunderstood snowflakes have been raised in a culture of violence, and they have easy access to tools of destruction.  Don't confuse the issue!
He never brought you an unbalanced budget, which is a perennial joke. He never voted himself a wage increase and, to this day, gives back part of his salary every year. He has always voted to preserve the Constitution, cut government spending, lower healthcare costs, end the war on drugs, secure our borders with immigration reform and protect our civil liberties.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #16 on: March 06, 2008, 09:57:12 AM »
"Wonder if he was on under-researched antidepressants too?"

Yeah, anti-depressants are to blame for EVERY shooting, EVERYwhere in the United States.

Sounds like a familiar blame game...

Can't quite put my finger on the other product that is vilified in an equally scurrilous manner...

Oh, wait.

Silly me...

It's GUNS.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #17 on: March 06, 2008, 10:00:33 AM »
"Wonder if he was on under-researched antidepressants too?"

Yeah, anti-depressants are to blame for EVERY shooting, EVERYwhere in the United States.

Of course not, but it does seem to be a constant in these recent massacre shootings. The things really aren't well enough researched, especially with younger males, hormone interaction, all that. Who knows if they have some effect on judgment, inhibition or impulse control? It's still their fault, of course, the person who pulls the trigger, but those meds can affect behavior and judgment. They can change the balance of not only serotonin, but noreprinephrine as well, and when someone goes cold turkey off them...what happens then?

I just think more research is needed, rather than pop psychiatrists simply flinging them at any troubled teen as they do now, without counseling, without adequate followup.

Kids have always been depressed. But did this happen quite so often before the Age Of the Pill? Back when kids used to bring guns to school to go hunting, long ago...did this happen?

It's not a root cause, for certain, but they're given out like candy, and could in fact be a factor or catalyst. Ironically, it's been theorized that instead of curing the root cause of depression, they might just alleviate the sense of malaise enough to let the still-depressed person take action...a bad, bad action. There's some questions that ought to be answered by research.

Paddy

« Reply #18 on: March 06, 2008, 10:01:38 AM »
Uhhhh........guns existed 50-100 years ago, yet I don't recall large numbers of school shootings.

Nope. He'd show up and make it into a circus, and somehow get the taxpayers to pay.

Then keep up the lawsuits, keep the taxpayers paying huge settlements.  To the point that municipalities lose fire and police and trash services.  Sooner or later they will hold school officials responsible.

It's called 'incentive'.  Give somebody enough incentive and they'll get the job done.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #19 on: March 06, 2008, 10:12:26 AM »
And the murder rate in society as a whole was a lot lower than it was 50-100 years ago.

Take DC, for example.

50 years ago it had one of the lowest murder rates for a major city in America.

Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

lupinus

• Southern Mod Trimutive Emeritus
  • friends
« Reply #20 on: March 06, 2008, 11:44:10 AM »
Anti-depresants are the reason?   undecided Arn't they like...supposed to make the crazy little buggers LESS likely to pull this *expletive deleted*it?  Or is it kind of like how they have recently been listing suicide as a side effect?

I'd not call it a side effect of the meds, but a failure to up the dosage.
That is all. *expletive deleted*ck you all, eat *expletive deleted*it, and die in a fire. I have considered writing here a long parting section dedicated to each poster, but I have decided, at length, against it. *expletive deleted*ck you all and Hail Satan.

MrRezister

• I resist. It's what I do.
  • friend
  • Shank, shank, shank mommy's ankles!
« Reply #21 on: March 06, 2008, 11:55:14 AM »
Or just the wrong medication?  Hard to shoot up the school when you're doing the thorazine shuffle.
He never brought you an unbalanced budget, which is a perennial joke. He never voted himself a wage increase and, to this day, gives back part of his salary every year. He has always voted to preserve the Constitution, cut government spending, lower healthcare costs, end the war on drugs, secure our borders with immigration reform and protect our civil liberties.

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #22 on: March 06, 2008, 11:59:58 AM »
As I mentioned, one of the possible theories, and an ironic one at that, is that while the med isn't enough to stop the suicidal depression, it's enough to lift them out of the "doing nothing" mode. They do something, alright. In other words, pill alone is not good, pill + counseling can get someone into an intervention before they go on a rampage. Too many docs just throw a pill and tell them to call if they feel suicidal, etc.

And, of course, some of them have BAD effects if people quit them all of a sudden, which they do when they think they're all better.

Racehorse

• friend
« Reply #23 on: March 06, 2008, 12:06:21 PM »
What I don't think has been mentioned is that the relationship to the anti-depressants is that these things usually happen after they go OFF the medication, not when they're taking it as directed.

Most of those drugs you have to taper off. If you stop cold turkey it makes your depression or whatever really bad.

And ultimately the only person really responsible is the shooter. Even depressed people still know what's right and wrong.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #24 on: March 06, 2008, 12:38:40 PM »

Present.    smiley    sad

That would not be possible for most of these cases. 
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife