Author Topic: How do you use military surplus tents?  (Read 15420 times)

mtnbkr

• friend
Re: How do you use military surplus tents?
« Reply #25 on: March 09, 2008, 10:11:56 AM »
I've been toying with the idea of getting a wall tent and setting up a week long deer camp for late muzzleloading season here in Iowa.

For smaller groups, a wall tent is much nicer than the GP-Small.  Easier to heat, lighter to carry, etc.  Plus, the material lets light through so you can see during the day without laterns (with all the doors closed on the GP-Small, you need artificial light at noon).  When our hunting group fell apart (folks moved away, etc), we were transitioning to wall tents.

Chris

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #26 on: March 09, 2008, 10:32:04 AM »
I've been toying with the idea of getting a wall tent and setting up a week long deer camp for late muzzleloading season here in Iowa.

For smaller groups, a wall tent is much nicer than the GP-Small.  Easier to heat, lighter to carry, etc.  Plus, the material lets light through so you can see during the day without laterns (with all the doors closed on the GP-Small, you need artificial light at noon).  When our hunting group fell apart (folks moved away, etc), we were transitioning to wall tents.

Chris

Speaking of huntin, even if you don't intend to muzzload, are you interested in going with me a few times during the early muzzlehunt?  I figure on it being a bit quieter in them there woods.
 laugh
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #27 on: March 09, 2008, 10:42:24 AM »
Sure.  I'll take the 10/22 and see if I can get some squirrels for dinner. Smiley

Chris

luckyorwhat

« Reply #28 on: March 09, 2008, 01:22:03 PM »
If you did have such a tent, and you lived in a rather dry climate like Southern Alberta near the mountains, would it be possible to set the tent up somewhere and not take it down? Could you go out every month and check on it, spray it with protector, make sure it's always in the shade, and just never take it down?

This is what I'd really like to do with such a large tent, if possible.

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #29 on: March 09, 2008, 01:57:02 PM »
I saw one in person the other day and want one, I could park a car in it for pete's sake. But it looks like it would take two loads in a jeep just to get it out to the campsite.

Do people buy land and set the tents up permanently? Do they fit it all in a trailer and have a second vehicle bring the rest of the camping stuff?

What is the typical usage for these tents?

Typical usage for me was setting them up, leaving them up for about 10 minutes, and then moving them again.  Repeat about ten billion times.  2 people can put up a GP small in about 20 minutes.  Sometimes 30 minutes.  6 people can put it up in about two hours.   grin

Packed properly, you can put it on a trailer or roof mount if you have a large ish SUV.  It'll fit in just about any pickup very easily.  Center pole is the hardest part to tote.  We had a local guy fab a bunch for us and turn them into four screw together sections.  Made it MUCH easier to move around.

If you wanted to make it quasi permanent, I'd just recommend doing what Hawkmoon described.  Elevated wooden platform.
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #30 on: March 09, 2008, 02:03:53 PM »
I had a friend that used one for a logging camp.  This was after the forest service made him tear down the log cabin that he and another buddy had built on a timber sale. Cheesy

He lived in it till almost xmas one year at 10,000'+ in CO.  I was never that tough - just used a camper trailer. Wink

Actually, for a semi-permanent set-up I think one would be better off with a tee-pee (in canvas).  There is (or was?) an outfit in Billings that made them on an authentic Crow pattern.
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

Jamisjockey

• friend
« Reply #31 on: March 09, 2008, 02:05:09 PM »
If you did have such a tent, and you lived in a rather dry climate like Southern Alberta near the mountains, would it be possible to set the tent up somewhere and not take it down? Could you go out every month and check on it, spray it with protector, make sure it's always in the shade, and just never take it down?

It also has to be legal.  I typically camp on public property where I couldn't get away with that.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #32 on: March 09, 2008, 02:16:41 PM »
Actually, for a semi-permanent set-up I think one would be better off with a tee-pee (in canvas).  There is (or was?) an outfit in Billings that made them on an authentic Crow pattern.

Some friends of mine (Jamis has met them) used to do deer camp in a large tipi.  I spent a few nights in it myself.  It was quite comfortable.  They too used a wood stove though.

Chris

cassandra and sara's daddy

« Reply #33 on: March 09, 2008, 03:08:59 PM »
i'm old and like my comfort  built a rased bed outa landscape timbers and filled it with fine sand  it drains well and is soft on an old mans bones

Bogie

• friend
  • Hunkered in South St. Louis, right by Route 66
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #34 on: March 09, 2008, 08:58:35 PM »
Important thing is to keep stuff tight...

Get some springs that'll handle a decent load, and truck load straps - decent sized, altho cheap ones will do it you're not leaving it alone a lot... Use those corkscrew doggie run stakes to go about a foot or so into the ground. Big thick rebar if you feel the urge to go outside a bit...

I cinch the thing with load straps across the sides, with a load strap and doggie stake at each pole, and a load strap and doggie stake at each end in the center.

I've had 50mph winds, and stayed up, and on the ground.

Blog under construction

coppertales

• friend
« Reply #35 on: March 10, 2008, 06:37:38 AM »
I use the shelter halves, aka pup tents, as motorcycle covers.  They work great and last for years.......chris3

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #36 on: March 10, 2008, 07:04:09 AM »

Chris

I was going to get a modern wall tent whenever I cross that route. Probably be when I purchase my recreational land and live out of a wall tent until I can save up the $$ for a cabin.

-C
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #37 on: March 10, 2008, 04:51:21 PM »
This thread is really in tents.
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

Bogie

• friend
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #38 on: March 11, 2008, 08:37:34 AM »
Well, never really thought about the concept until we discovered that in inclement weather, the party moves to whoever has the biggest tent in the area... And Knob Creek gets rained on.

Blog under construction

Jamisjockey

• friend
« Reply #39 on: March 11, 2008, 08:40:34 AM »
I might have reason to get one myself...or a wall tent.
with the BIL moving out here, the SFIL (Step father in law) has requested I call him.  MIL wants to move out in this area.  SFIL is an avid hunter and wants to find out what I know about the area.
Guess I'll have to think about a good tent and a yearly family hunt.
 grin
JD

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #40 on: March 11, 2008, 08:43:59 AM »
You've got a place to store it, a vehicle to tow it, and plenty opportunities to use it, why not get a camper?  If I had a place to store it, I'd get one.  That way, I might get the wifey to come out with me some.

Chris

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #41 on: March 11, 2008, 08:45:17 AM »
I doubt it.

She told me last hunting season that it was a great chance to get you the hell out of the house.  laugh
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Jamisjockey

• friend
« Reply #42 on: March 11, 2008, 09:48:23 AM »
You've got a place to store it, a vehicle to tow it, and plenty opportunities to use it, why not get a camper?  If I had a place to store it, I'd get one.  That way, I might get the wifey to come out with me some.

Chris

Dunno yet.  With the 3-car garage I'd certainly have a spot for a small pop up.  Nice thing about a tent is that it requires less maintence and there's no costs like registration. 
Actually, the SFIL has a trailer......not sure if he plans on bringing it with him.
JD

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #43 on: March 11, 2008, 10:11:48 AM »
She told me last hunting season that it was a great chance to get you the hell out of the house.  laugh

My wife told me something similar when I asked her if she minded me hunting every weekend from first part of September to the end of January.

Uranus is a gas giant.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #44 on: March 11, 2008, 10:15:04 AM »

Google the word: Yurts

Uranus is a gas giant.

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #45 on: March 11, 2008, 10:22:37 AM »

AKA mobile homes for white guys with dreadlocks and unshaven girls who smell like patchouli.  cheesy

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #46 on: March 11, 2008, 10:46:36 AM »

AKA mobile homes for white guys with dreadlocks and unshaven girls who smell like patchouli.  cheesy

Well I happen to like the yurt idea, yeah I'm a white guy and my wife shaves her legs and armpits and baths everyday, sometimes twice. So take your stereotype, put it in your pipe and smoke it.

Wife doesn't like the yurt idea, or a wall tent or my manshack I'm going to build someday.

Uranus is a gas giant.

Bogie

• friend
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #47 on: March 11, 2008, 12:37:12 PM »
FWIW, my trailer is a single axle 6x12 enclosed cargo trailer. 3500 pounds max weight, so I can haul a BUNCH of stuff... The trailer gets a cot (mine!) or a futon (mine and Jen's), and the van has a futon (folks get to fight over it). We put up "family" tents for the kids. If a kid wants their own tent, they put up their own tent. I can put up the Freak Show Tent in about an hourish by myself without working all that hard (i.e., beer breaks). We put 3-4 folding tables and a bunch of chairs in it.

Blog under construction

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #48 on: March 11, 2008, 12:38:36 PM »

Well I happen to like the yurt idea, yeah I'm a white guy and my wife shaves her legs and armpits and baths everyday, sometimes twice. So take your stereotype, put it in your pipe and smoke it.

Wife doesn't like the yurt idea, or a wall tent or my manshack I'm going to build someday.

I know, I'm just kidding. You have to admit that that demographic loves the things too, though!

And yes, they are good in really crappy weather, since they can stand up on the winds howling across the Tibetan steppes. If a design has been refined for thousands of years, it's generally an okay one.

If your wife doesn't like the idea, show one like this:  cheesy

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #49 on: March 11, 2008, 01:58:45 PM »

If your wife doesn't like the idea, show one like this:  cheesy

So where in God's green earth am I going to be able to skin a deer with that high falutin bed in my way?

Uranus is a gas giant.