Author Topic: Interesting scenario... What gun/caliber would you pick?  (Read 8605 times)

Paddy

Re: Interesting scenario... What gun/caliber would you pick?
« Reply #25 on: March 10, 2008, 05:45:29 PM »
Actually all you're really need is a little wooden cross.  I'm sure some of you already know that.  smiley

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #26 on: March 10, 2008, 05:49:34 PM »

Simple.  Issue a Barrett to every person physically capable of carrying one.  A SAW or 240 to anyone slightly less physically capable.  M16 with M203 to everyone else.  Make it manditory to keep said weapon within 10 ft at all given times. 

Exotic weaponry is nice and all, but standardized weaponry often works better.  That way you can loot ammo off the dead folks and make the supply people happier. 
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #27 on: March 10, 2008, 06:12:20 PM »
Thread-jacking comment removed by me. 
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #28 on: March 10, 2008, 06:24:25 PM »
Don't we keep ICBM's around for just such occasions?......

Target the biggest gateway and launch.....  grin
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #29 on: March 10, 2008, 07:55:39 PM »
"Winner of the oldest, most over-played joke contest maybe."

Being a jealous prat because you didn't think of the ultimate weapon isn't very becoming...
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Matthew Carberry

• Formerly carebear
  • friend
  • Fiat justitia, pereat mundus
« Reply #30 on: March 10, 2008, 08:05:01 PM »
Sounds less like the Posleen and more like Ringo's "Into The Looking Glass".

Portals, demonic looking, "attack of the redneck brigade"

Admittedly I'm not out there writing a novel, but the concept sounds a little derivative.
"Not all unwise laws are unconstitutional laws, even where constitutional rights are potentially involved." - Eugene Volokh

"As for affecting your movement, your Rascal should be able to achieve the the same speeds no matter what holster rig you are wearing."

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #31 on: March 11, 2008, 12:54:45 AM »
10 gauge became functionally obsolete the moment 12 gauge 3" magnum and 3.5" super magnum came out. The super mag develops more pressure than the 10 gauge does.

Nonsense!

Applying that same (il) logic,  the 3"- 410 is ballistically superior to the 28 gauge.
High pressures in shotgun loads deform shot,  punish the shooter and degrade patterns.

The 3.5" 12 gauge became functionally obsolete the moment Bismuth and Tungsten shot came out.

NOW, I admit were talking about the un-dead here, so things might be different at the target.

As an experienced shotgunner, I'd rather shoot a 10 gauge over any "Magnum" gauge at anything alive or dead, but to each his own.  rolleyes

Not just my opinion...

http://www.chuckhawks.com/10_gauge_obsolete.htm

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #32 on: March 11, 2008, 02:06:02 AM »

Being a jealous prat because you didn't think of the ultimate weapon isn't very becoming...

At least I wasn't fool enough to marry it.  Tongue

pistolchamp

NYC... how about LA??
« Reply #33 on: March 11, 2008, 02:33:53 AM »
Just before we get too serious about killing them all off, if there's even a remote chance of them attacking NYC ask if they'd do LA also, they start killing them.

I have to agree that opening any portal, even for a moment and chucking in a nuke is a great idea, even though the thought of unlimited moving targets get my attention focused on having fun.

The M-16 platform has proven itself... a bit more caliber should do it, AA-12 would be a fun toy, any 50 BMG will be fun and since its the devil himself we should be set to loose, so blast away and have fun while it lasts.

geronimotwo

• friend
« Reply #34 on: March 11, 2008, 02:44:41 AM »
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r0mO0qsdSqA

aa-12 fully auto shotgun with limited recoil, AND the neat little exploding rounds they show in this video.
make the world idiot proof.....and you will have a world full of idiots. -g2

Manedwolf

• friend
Re: NYC... how about LA??
« Reply #35 on: March 11, 2008, 03:46:04 AM »
The M-16 platform has proven itself...

Unless it's raining, or really dusty, or you drop it in the mud, or ding up the the mag and don't have any more, or only have access to cheap assorted ammo of unknown national origin...  smiley

The M-16 is okay if you have a unit armorer and backup weapons and lots of parts. But in a "desperate fight", if I had to have 5.56x45, I'd rather have it in a Bulgarian SLR, Saiga or other Kalashnikov-action rifle. I know that will fire, short-stroking from poor-grade ammo is not an issue, and the mags are nearly indestructible. Plus, the AK armorer's kit can pretty much be just a hammer.

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #36 on: March 11, 2008, 07:16:11 AM »
They're working on that, however, what are you going to do if/when they manage to open a major portal somewhere like NYC, or even the increasing likelyhood of individual attacks in places like malls.
Fair enough.  Again I'd go for the 12 gauge slug gun idea for this.
The portal has only been successfully opened once so far, and into the closest equivalent of indignant friendly forces available(some escaped dead souls).
Well, keep some nukes wherever you're doing portal research.  If you succeed again, do a quick peek and if you're anywhere near the baddies, send 'em through.  If you're near the escaped souls ... maybe you send it through anyway.  Those folks are dead already and I'd be a little concerned about the billions and billions of dead hell has stored up coming back to us.
Hell's teaming with friendlies held in the equivalent of the biggest, nastiest POW camp ever.  With even the forces being diverted right now, we'll likely be able to start freeing souls because the guards are the equivalent of reserves - who are now being called up, leaving gaps in coverage.
Hrm.  So what's the goal?  We free these souls and then let the dead souls take over hell?  Or are we going to bring them back to our world?  What happens to a soul that dies in hell?  Do they get to go back around and try again?  Do they die forever?  What about demons?  Do demons respawn in hell when they're killed?
The demons are generally quite fast on foot, wouldn't we want the extra range rifles give over shotguns?  Would 000 buck even penetrate enough at anything longer than 'point blank' ?
If you're targeting small groups or individual soldiers, most folks aren't going to be able to hit fast-movers at ranges beyond point-blank anyhow, but I agree with the problems with buck, hence my suggestion to use slugs.  I like the idea to use cast iron slugs.  Probably not as much force as lead, but cheaper to manufacture and will do enough damage to be worthwhile, I'd think.

You've got tons of benefits.  There are tens of millions of 12 gauge shotguns available right now in the US, so lots of folks could use the weapons they already have.  It should be effective enough (unless demons are armored) and is relatively cheap to manufacture the guns and ammo (compared to, say, .50BMG or dangerous game calibers).  Plus, considering the amount of shooting you're planning on doing in urban areas, it might be a good idea to go with the limited range of the slugs.

Of course, there are downsides (recoil, amount of ammunition one person can carry, size, etc) but I think given the problems at hand and the requirements they're a good compromise.    The concern is getting something out there ASAP, correct?  No reason you can't augment the slug guns with other toys as they become available.

Oh yeah, and I think RPGs would be a good investment too.

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #37 on: March 11, 2008, 11:25:55 AM »
Iron 12-gauge slugs are a really good idea.

To top it all off, you can pre-rust them in holy water.  Even if they don't divinely slay with righteous authority, they can give tetanus infections to any surviving demons.  laugh

Doesn't Iron have some sort of mythical power over demons?  Or am I confusing my mythology with Robert Jordan's snake-creatures from the Wheel of Time?

And anyone who thinks an M14 is easier to build than an AR needs a serious wake-up call.  And frankly, both platforms are exponentially more skill intensive to assemble than an AK.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

The Viking

« Reply #38 on: March 11, 2008, 11:32:51 AM »
Iron 12-gauge slugs are a really good idea.

To top it all off, you can pre-rust them in holy water.  Even if they don't divinely slay with righteous authority, they can give tetanus infections to any surviving demons.  laugh

Doesn't Iron have some sort of mythical power over demons?  Or am I confusing my mythology with Robert Jordan's snake-creatures from the Wheel of Time?

And anyone who thinks an M14 is easier to build than an AR needs a serious wake-up call.  And frankly, both platforms are exponentially more skill intensive to assemble than an AK.

Iron is supposed to ward off some kinds of evil atleast, such as fairies, trolls and witches. I suppose demons would be affected by this as well. If not, well, they still have to deal with the little fact of iron lumps smashing into their skulls.

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #39 on: March 11, 2008, 04:02:14 PM »
Iron is supposed to ward off some kinds of evil atleast, such as fairies, trolls and witches. I suppose demons would be affected by this as well. If not, well, they still have to deal with the little fact of iron lumps smashing into their skulls.

Don't work for squat.  My last ex was a witch and had no problems with iron shackles.

What?
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #40 on: March 11, 2008, 04:27:16 PM »
I just had a thought . . . if you kill a demon, what's to prevent him from being resurrected as a zombie demon?

This thread hasn't addressed "What gun for zombie demons" yet . . .
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #41 on: March 11, 2008, 04:58:07 PM »

This thread hasn't addressed "What gun for zombie demons" yet

Because that's a stupid question, HankB.  No gun alive can pwn a zombie demon!!  We'd be scrued!!

Regolith

• friend
« Reply #42 on: March 11, 2008, 05:32:47 PM »
I'd want the BFG from Doom.

Either that or a firetruck full of holy water.
The price of freedom is eternal vigilance. - Thomas Jefferson

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves. - William Pitt the Younger

Perfectly symmetrical violence never solved anything. - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

Modifiedbrowning

• friend
  • Best Avatar on APS
« Reply #43 on: March 11, 2008, 05:56:59 PM »
.45 ACP Sten or M3 greasegun with crap loads of mags and ammo.
Give Peace a Chance,
Kill all Terrorists.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #44 on: March 13, 2008, 10:46:58 AM »

At least I wasn't fool enough to marry it.  Tongue

Just wait. Your day is coming.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

JimMarch

• friend
« Reply #45 on: March 13, 2008, 12:22:06 PM »
RPG7

shocked

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #46 on: March 13, 2008, 04:40:54 PM »
RPG7

shocked

Long time, no hear.......I was afraid the Diebold syndicate had run you to ground....
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

Mabs2

• friend
  • セクシー
    • iCarly
« Reply #47 on: March 13, 2008, 07:50:50 PM »
Forces of Hell invading Earth (or sometimes Phobos).  Been in that situation many a time.
Double barrel shotgun always seemed to fare the best...sometimes a rocket launcher for the minotaurs.
Quote from: jamisjockey
Sunday it felt a little better, but it was quite irritated from me rubbing it.
Quote from: Mike Irwin
If you watch any of the really early episodes of the Porter Waggoner show she was in (1967) it's very clear that he was well endowed.
Quote from: Ben
Just wanted to give a forum thumbs up to Dick.

LAK

• friend
« Reply #48 on: March 13, 2008, 11:46:02 PM »
Fight fire with fire; flamethrowers and phosphorus grenades. Troopers could carry a standard service rifle of choice; something handy, well-balanced, reliable and easy to shoot, chambered for the .243 loaded exclusively with a tungsten-cored bullet weighing 90 to 100 grains - and go for headshots.

I might suggest a modified Ruger Mini-thirty (.243); with the accuracy bugs addressed (yes; they can be very accurate when certain known points are addressed). I would toss the box mags though in favor of the original Garand type enbloc clips. The advantages are that ammo can be mass produced and loaded in the clips at the factory and logistically supplied so to the field "ready to go". No cases of ammo to break and issue, then load into box mags. In use fast reloading is a cinch - and in periods of prolonged shooting one does not have to reload box magazines, itself a rather fiddly activity to be performing under terrible stress. And with no protuding mags to interfere with shooting over obstacles, prone or hang up on anything else when fighting, advancing or fleeing in the urban, trashed or natural environments.

Well, no treaties or rules of war here, so some more specialized pieces could combine "fire" and an intermediate small arm capability. Any big bore piece would do; let's say a 12 gauge shotgun shooting a roundnose hollow slug made of steel; thick enough as to not deform and deflect off bone, gristle or whatever other tissue your physical demons possess - with a thermite core that ignites via propellent charge. Even a marginal hit ought to send the creatures into immediate pre-occupation with what is searing through their innards and incapable of thinking of anything else, so that the good guys can then finish them off or make their escape. 

Iapetus

• friend
« Reply #49 on: March 16, 2008, 11:54:57 AM »
Forces of Hell invading Earth (or sometimes Phobos).  Been in that situation many a time.
Double barrel shotgun always seemed to fare the best...sometimes a rocket launcher for the minotaurs.

All you really need to know are the correct magic words...

IDDQD
IDKFA

Smiley

But to be serious (at least as seriously as you can be in "what gun for demons" thread), I suppose we would really need to know a bit more about the demons' anatomy/physiology.

Why are they as tough as they are?
* Extremely tough / armoured skin?
* Big, strong bones?
* Redundant internal organs? (E.g. back-up heart etc)
* Rapid regeneration?
* No actual "realistic" anatomy? (I.e. so you basically have to shoot them to pieces rather than just hit them in the heart/CNS/etc)?

Also, what sort of forces do they have?
Is it just infantry, or infantry and cavalry?  Or do they also have flying demons, artillery demons, tank demons, etc?  (And if they have flyers, would they simply be "flying infantry" that can easily get to wherever you don't want them, or are capable of performing air-superiority or ground attack roles?)