Author Topic: Humor: How to give a feline their medicine...  (Read 2556 times)

Rocketman56

Humor: How to give a feline their medicine...
« on: March 10, 2008, 08:42:28 PM »
Not sure where this came from, so I can not provide proper attribution... I apologize to the author, but it's so true!
It's only slightly overstated!  grin  Enjoy! -Steve
**********************************************************************************************************************************

How To Give A Cat A Pill

1.    Pick up cat and cradle it gently in the crook of your left arm as if holding a baby. Position right forefinger and thumb on either side of cat's mouth and gently apply pressure to cheeks while holding pill in right hand.  As cat opens mouth, pop pill into mouth. Allow cat to close mouth and swallow.

2.    Retrieve pill from floor and cat from behind sofa.  Cradle cat in left arm and repeat process.

3.    Retrieve cat from bedroom, and throw soggy pill away.

4.    Take new pill from foil wrap, cradle cat in left arm, holding rear paws tightly with left hand. Force jaws open and push pill to back of mouth with right forefinger. Hold mouth shut for a count of ten.

5.    Retrieve pill from goldfish bowl and cat from top of wardrobe. Call spouse from garden.

6.    Kneel on floor with cat wedged firmly between knees, hold front and rear paws. Ignore low growls emitted by cat. Get spouse to hold head firmly with one hand while forcing wooden ruler into mouth. Drop pill down ruler and rub cat's throat vigorously.

7.    Retrieve cat from curtain rail, get another pill from foil wrap. Make note to buy new ruler and repair curtains. Carefully sweep shattered figurines and vases from hearth and set to one side for gluing later.

8.    Wrap cat in large towel and get spouse to lie on cat with head just visible from below armpit. Put pill in end of drinking straw,  force mouth open with pencil and blow down drinking straw.

9.    Check label to make sure pill not harmful to humans, drink 1 beer to take taste away.  Apply Band-Aid to spouse's forearm and remove blood from carpet with cold water and soap.

10.   Retrieve cat from neighbor's shed. Get another pill.  Open another beer.  Place cat in cupboard, and close door on to neck, to leave head showing.  Force mouth open with dessert spoon.  Flick pill down throat with elastic band.

11.   Fetch screwdriver from garage and put cupboard door back on hinges.  Drink beer.  Fetch bottle of scotch.  Pour shot, drink.  Apply cold compress to cheek and check records for date of last tetanus shot.  Apply whiskey compress to cheek to disinfect.  Toss back another shot.  Throw tee shirt away and fetch new one from bedroom.

12.   Call fire department to retrieve the cat from across the road.  Apologize to neighbor who crashed into fence while swerving to avoid cat.  Take last pill from foil wrap.

13.   Tie the little bastard's front paws to rear paws with garden twine and bind tightly to leg of dining table.  Find heavy-duty pruning gloves from shed.  Push pill into mouth followed by large piece of filet steak.  Be rough about it.  Hold head vertically and pour 2 pints of water down throat to wash pill down.

14.   Consume remainder of scotch. Get spouse to drive you to the emergency room, sit quietly while doctor stitches fingers and forearm and removes pill remnants from right eye. Call furniture shop on way home to order new table.

15.    Arrange for SPCA to collect mutant psycho cat  and call local pet shop to see if they have anything safer, like hamsters!?!
An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life.
Robert A. Heinlein

Ad astra per aspera
"through the thorns to the stars"

Vodka7

• friend
Re: Humor: How to give a feline their medicine...
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2008, 10:34:47 PM »
Oh man, thanks for posting that one grin

Edited to add: my favorite part of my new apartment is the shower with the glass door.  Now, instead of keeping the antibacterial and the bandaids out when I wash the cats, I just throw them in one at a time, turn the water on, slam the door as fast as possible.  After thirty seconds of the cat equivalent of damning me and every relative I have to hell for all eternity, they settle down enough so that I can get them clean and out of the bathroom in easily a tenth of the time it used to take.

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2008, 01:01:03 AM »

Edited to add: my favorite part of my new apartment is the shower with the glass door.  Now, instead of keeping the antibacterial and the bandaids out when I wash the cats, I just throw them in one at a time, turn the water on, slam the door as fast as possible.  After thirty seconds of the cat equivalent of damning me and every relative I have to hell for all eternity, they settle down enough so that I can get them clean and out of the bathroom in easily a tenth of the time it used to take.

There's nothing that looks more awkward or more about to just burst into tears than a wet cat. They hate it!

Also, I've never found a reason to give my two a bath with water. They don't like it, and "kitty bath wipes" or brush-through dry shampoo seems to do the job just fine. They enjoy the brushing powder baths which take away oils and any dirt, and they're always clean and clean-smelling.

And it's not like they're not constantly bathing themselves, either...

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2008, 02:45:01 AM »
That is the saddest looking cat I have ever seen.  sad

cheesy
Avoid cliches like the plague!

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2008, 02:50:00 AM »
There's nothing that looks more awkward or more about to just burst into tears than a wet cat. They hate it!

Also, I've never found a reason to give my two a bath with water. They don't like it, and "kitty bath wipes" or brush-through dry shampoo seems to do the job just fine. They enjoy the brushing powder baths which take away oils and any dirt, and they're always clean and clean-smelling.

How about a brand new kitten that came from the petshop with ringworms?
That cat was the devil, too.  I think the daily baths as a kitten, which resulted in full on battles damaged its psyche.  The weird thing was I was the only person it liked.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2008, 03:01:43 AM »
How to give a dog a pill:

1: Wrap pill in either bacon, cheese, bread, or whatever foodstuff you happen to have handy.

2: Throw it towards the dog.
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2008, 03:41:42 AM »

1: Wrap pill in either bacon, cheese, bread, or whatever foodstuff you happen to have handy.

That didn't work for mine. You'd hear the "chomp chomp chomp", he'd stand there looking innocent, but as soon as you turned your back, you'd hear a pill hit the floor and he'd take off.  cheesy

Jamisjockey

• friend
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2008, 03:43:26 AM »

That didn't work for mine. You'd hear the "chomp chomp chomp", he'd stand there looking innocent, but as soon as you turned your back, you'd hear a pill hit the floor and he'd take off.  cheesy
Honey is a trash compactor.  She will eat anything given to her.  Grapes.  Pills.  Playdoh (don't ask).
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2008, 03:48:38 AM »

Honey is a trash compactor.  She will eat anything given to her.  Grapes.  Pills.  Playdoh (don't ask).

Please don't feed them grapes
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2008, 06:45:48 AM »
My dog takes pills very willingly. I just place it between my fingers and she gingerly grabs it with her teeth and chomps it up.

-C

Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

Jamisjockey

• friend
« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2008, 06:58:06 AM »

Please don't feed them grapes

Apparently, grapes and raisins can be toxic to dogs when ingested in large quantities.

The grapes and raisins came from varied sources, including being eaten off the vine directly. The dogs exhibited gastrointestinal signs including vomiting and diarrhea and then signs of kidney failure with an onset of severe kidney signs starting about 24 hours after ingestion of the grapes or raisins. The amount of grapes eaten varied between 9oz. and 2 lbs.,

good to know.  Not much I can do if my 2 year old throws 1 or two on the floor and she eats them.
JD

Strings

« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2008, 08:07:23 AM »
Dozer will eat pretty much anything tossed his way: biscuits, sandwiches, bacon, cell phones, flashlights, socks, newspaper, snow, cats...

ok... he DOES leave the cats pretty much alone...

The Viking

« Reply #12 on: March 11, 2008, 08:27:16 AM »

Atleast one of my parent's cats actually likes water. He (or perhaps she, can't remember which one it is) sits under the tap sometimes laugh.

coppertales

• friend
« Reply #13 on: March 11, 2008, 10:51:59 AM »
Yep, everything in that article is true.............what I do is with hold food for a whole day then crush the pill and mix it with their favorite canned food.  Usually it gets scarfed right down.

I bought a "pill popper" at the pet store.  I smear the pill with butter and use the tool to insert pill.  Works about 80 percent of the time.  Takes two people, one to hold the cat in a towel and the other one to shoot the pill.  Siamese cats are the worst to try to give a pill to.....chris3

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #14 on: March 11, 2008, 11:43:56 AM »
I just don't understand why anyone would waste perfectly good medicine (or food, for that matter) on a CAT?.......

Dogs have a purpose.....cats have an agenda.....
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.