Author Topic: Corned beef and cabbage  (Read 3156 times)

RadioFreeSeaLab

• friend
Corned beef and cabbage
« on: March 14, 2008, 08:56:24 AM »
Anyone have a good corned beef and cabbage recipe?

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
Re: Corned beef and cabbage
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2008, 09:22:30 AM »
and crockpot and potatoes and water and peppercorns.

What else do you need to know Huh?
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

Paddy

« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2008, 09:34:26 AM »
Corned beef and cabbage.  I've been thinking the same thing.  Yum.

Your best bet would probably be to just buy the corned beef already packaged and spiced.  Boil it up with some cabbage and taters and you're there.  Little horseradish and mustard, wash it down with your favorite brewski, and life is good.

I think Trader Joes has a good corned beef ready to go.

Teknoid

« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2008, 09:47:26 AM »
Use a pressure cooker for corned beef. Try it once, and you may never make it any other way. It holds all the flavor in.

Werewolf

• friend
  • Lead, Follow or Get the HELL out of the WAY!
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2008, 10:05:26 AM »
Slow roast the corned beef at around 220 for 8 hours. Keep about 1/4" of water in the bottom of the roasting pan thruout the process.

When the corned beef is done take it out of the oven and place it on a plate to cool. Do not slice it at this time.

Dump the liquid from the roasting pan (you did keep about a 1/4" of liquid in the pan at all times didn't you?) into a large pot. Add potatoes and carrots. Barely cover with tap water and boil until almost done. Add cabbage for last 5 minutes or so. Slice the corned beef while the cabbage is cooking.

Mix a tablespoon or two of mustard with some of the juice from the boiled potatos, carrot and cabbage - enough to make about a cup of sauce. Place in small skillet with a tablespoon of butter and mix all together. Add a 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon of horseradish, some black pepper and if you like a bit of garlic powder. Cook for another minute or two until the butter is melted and sizzling. Should still be a bit liquidy. Add enough cornstarch to thicken to taste. Serve over the corned beef and veggies.

Ummm - umm - GOOD!
Life is short, Break the rules, Forgive quickly, Kiss slowly, Love
truly, Laugh uncontrollably, And never regret anything that made you smile.

Fight Me Online

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2008, 10:07:26 AM »
Curious about good recipes, too.

I have about 10lbs of pre-packaged corned beef brisket and a couple cabbages I'm doing Monday for my employees at work.

I don't know if our Mexican workers will eat it unless I bring tortillas, too.   grin
"Bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round...

http://neuralmisfires.blogspot.com

"Never squat with your spurs on!"

grislyatoms

• friends
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2008, 10:25:00 AM »
I like corned beef and cabbage rather plain. I have made it with OJ concentrate and brown sugar added in but plain to me tastes best.

Maybe a dab of hot brown mustard on the side and some sweet vinegar for the cabbage but that's it.
"A son of the sea, am I" Gordon Lightfoot

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2008, 10:32:54 AM »
I agree with Teknoid. Pressure cooker is the way to go.

I picked up a point-cut corned beef the other day. $1.29 a pound. I may pick up a couple more.

Not because I celebrate Saint Patrick's Day, but because I love ruben sandwiches.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2008, 10:51:59 AM »
I agree with Teknoid. Pressure cooker is the way to go.

I picked up a point-cut corned beef the other day. $1.29 a pound. I may pick up a couple more.

Not because I celebrate Saint Patrick's Day, but because I love ruben sandwiches.

I might have to go to Uncle Muck's for St Pat's Smiley

Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

lupinus

• Southern Mod Trimutive Emeritus
  • friends
« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2008, 11:51:42 AM »
I like it simple.

Take the corn beef and pat it dry, brown on all sides lightly, then enough water to cover and the contents of the spice packet (if no packet some mustard seeds, bay leaves, and peppercorns).  Light simmer till tender, the last half hour throw in some tatters and nice chunky cut cabbage.

Remove and let rest for a good ten minutes, slice, enjoy.

If you like corned beef but don't like it less strongly flavored, do a change of water halfway through cooking.  This is of course sacrilege, but it has made a few people I know who don't normally like corned beef chow down.
That is all. *expletive deleted*ck you all, eat *expletive deleted*it, and die in a fire. I have considered writing here a long parting section dedicated to each poster, but I have decided, at length, against it. *expletive deleted*ck you all and Hail Satan.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2008, 06:43:11 PM »
Oh yeah, did I mention that I make my own sauerkraut for the Rubens?

And one of these days I'm going to give a try at corning my own beef.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Desertdog

• friends
« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2008, 06:58:18 PM »
I always boil the corned beef for a few minutes and dump that water out to remove some of the salt.  To me, it is too salty if not boiled for a little while first.

cassandra and sara's daddy

« Reply #12 on: March 14, 2008, 07:01:13 PM »
i start with a lil bacon grease in pot to brown the beef and get a lil carmelization on the bottom of the cabbage before we let the braising begin. yum!

lupinus

• friends
« Reply #13 on: March 15, 2008, 02:52:15 AM »
Mike-

Corning your own beef isn't hard at all and allows you to choose your own cut.  Top or Eye round roasts corn wonderfully and are better for sandwiches then the typical brisket offered in the meat section.

Plus, you can add your own twists with different spices and what not.  There's nothing overly complicated to the process, just time consuming as it takes several weeks.

In short, corning is simply pickling in a salt brine.  Corn was a very generic term referring to a large grains, and on this case referred to the very large grains of salt that were used. 

For a brined corned beef-

4 quarts water
1 cup salt (kosher or other large grained, non-iodized salt)
1 teaspoon saltpeter
2 beef briskets, about 4 pounds each
12 garlic cloves
3 tablespoons pickling spices
8 bay leaves

Bring all the ingredients (except the beef) to a boil to dissolve the salt and let cool.  Once that cools, use either a non-metallic container or a zip top bag and pour over the beef.  Let sit in the fridge or a cool place for two-three weeks.

Juniper berries make a tasty addition as well.  The salt peter is optional.  Ever wondered what makes a cooked corn beef that unnatural red color?  Salt peter.

As said most roasts can be corned, choose ones that are a bit leaner.  Tongues also work (so I'm told lol).  Also, pork roasts are wonderful corned.

A search on the net wil lturn up plenty of variations also.
That is all. *expletive deleted*ck you all, eat *expletive deleted*it, and die in a fire. I have considered writing here a long parting section dedicated to each poster, but I have decided, at length, against it. *expletive deleted*ck you all and Hail Satan.

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #14 on: March 15, 2008, 05:01:29 AM »
I use the classic 'boil it in a big stockpot' method of preparing corned beef and cabbage.  A few years ago, I saw on the Food Network using a hefty amount of mixed pickling spice in the boiling liquid.  I have a big stainless steel infuser (looks like a giant teaball) that is filled with 1/4 cup of mixed pickling spice.  This gives the corned beef much more of a warm spice note. 

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #15 on: March 15, 2008, 06:36:11 AM »
I just go to one of many nearby Irish pubs.

It's New England, the pubs not only serve corned-beef-and-cabbage on St. Patrick's day (the kind that melts in your mouth, at that), but also start the day with a full Irish breakfast of bangers and Guinness, or black and white puddings, rashers, eggs and potatoes.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #16 on: March 15, 2008, 08:30:05 AM »
Lupinus,

Yep, I know. Alton Brown did a show on corning beef last year, and it does look very easy.

I started curing and smoking my own bacon after seeing him do it.

lupinus

• friends
« Reply #17 on: March 15, 2008, 08:37:47 AM »
It's amazing how easy a lot of the things we love are isn't it?

None of it's really hard, it just takes time and the ability to do it and the basic knowledge.

One of the things I really want to do is build my own cure/smoke house so I can do my own smoked and none smoked meats.  Also want to get a decent sausage set up so I can do sausages and salamis