Author Topic: Wig-Wags  (Read 9322 times)

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
Re: Wig-Wags
« Reply #25 on: March 16, 2008, 02:59:21 PM »
Maybe I'll join the local PD. Then I can play with lights and get paid for it.

Scary, but you will probably fit right in   shocked
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

Bigjake

• friend
« Reply #26 on: March 16, 2008, 03:01:29 PM »

I'm also considering installing a bigazz airhorn, from a locomotive or a ship.  Maybe that would work even better than the wig-wag.  What's the penalty for impersonating a train?

lmao.  Mines from a tugboat. Affordable air compressors and valves can be had in JC Whitney.  Whole rig will run ya around 300 bones.

wooderson

• friend
« Reply #27 on: March 16, 2008, 03:03:18 PM »
I always wanted a 'horn' that sounded like a shotgun blast.
"The famously genial grin turned into a rictus of senile fury: I was looking at a cruel and stupid lizard."

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #28 on: March 16, 2008, 03:11:32 PM »
What's the penalty for impersonating a train?

Probably an arse whoopin'.

Chris

Sergeant Bob

• friend
« Reply #29 on: March 16, 2008, 03:21:23 PM »

I'm also considering installing a bigazz airhorn, from a locomotive or a ship.  Maybe that would work even better than the wig-wag.  What's the penalty for impersonating a train?

If you get a ticket, you'll probably get railroaded in court. angel
Personally, I do not understand how a bunch of people demanding a bigger govt can call themselves anarchist.
I meet lots of folks like this, claim to be anarchist but really they're just liberals with pierced genitals. - gunsmith

I already have canned butter, buying more. Canned blueberries, some pancake making dry goods and the end of the world is gonna be delicious.  -French G

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
« Reply #30 on: March 16, 2008, 03:23:18 PM »
If it's worth doing, it's worth doing to excess:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TiWNw0A1Ijg

The guy's got a website at http://shiphorns.com/media/ where he runs the big ship horns out of the box of his pickup.   shocked
"Bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round...

http://neuralmisfires.blogspot.com

"Never squat with your spurs on!"

Paddy

« Reply #31 on: March 16, 2008, 03:50:25 PM »
heh.  I especially like Maasdam vs. Horn Truck.  Talk about busting some cellphone talking road hogging maroon out of his reverie........... laugh

Zardozimo Oprah Bannedalas

• Webley Juggler
  • friend
  • All I got is a fistful of shekels
« Reply #32 on: March 16, 2008, 04:11:57 PM »
I'm also considering installing a bigazz airhorn, from a locomotive or a ship.  Maybe that would work even better than the wig-wag.
"And then... they will fear you."

DJJ

• friend
« Reply #33 on: March 16, 2008, 05:00:34 PM »
"And then... they will fear you."

I think you need Don Corleone strapped to the front of your car for that. Wink

Headless Thompson Gunner

• friend
« Reply #34 on: March 16, 2008, 05:27:15 PM »
Strapping Don Corleone to the front end of your car would be a very bad idea.  Methinks you wouldn't like what he'd do to you in retaliation.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #35 on: March 16, 2008, 05:56:56 PM »
It's tailgaters like Riley that bother me  laugh

I've always wanted one of those exhaust pipe oil injection systems like aerobatic planes use at airshows.  Just punch a button and leave a cloud of smoke behind you  grin
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
« Reply #36 on: March 16, 2008, 06:17:16 PM »
Back in the 70's, my brother had one of those in his bubbleback Barracuda.  He had it wired so hitting the horn button pumped automatic transmission fluid into one of the vacuum ports of the carburetor, leaving a thick white cloud that rivaled destroyer smokescreens in naval battles.  He had to goose the throttle to prevent the plugs from fouling out.   grin
"Bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round...

http://neuralmisfires.blogspot.com

"Never squat with your spurs on!"

Bigjake

• friend
« Reply #37 on: March 16, 2008, 06:21:07 PM »
It's tailgaters like Riley that bother me  laugh

I've always wanted one of those exhaust pipe oil injection systems like aerobatic planes use at airshows.  Just punch a button and leave a cloud of smoke behind you  grin

Getcha a diesel vehicle and I can help you with that...

cassandra and sara's daddy

« Reply #38 on: March 16, 2008, 08:54:34 PM »
when i used to fish at nite i wired up 3 55 watt lights on the back of my truck one on top of cap center and two under the bumper. i had em wired so they lit when i went in reverse or if i hit a switch on dash.  tail gate me at nite and i'd tap the switch 170 plus watts coming on at once got folks attention. one trick i heard about was wiring a sparkplug near end of tail pipe. kill ignition with car in gera let it sucl some nice rich mixture all the way through then fire the spark plug. always wondered if it would work.  course when i heard about it it was pre pollution control.

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #39 on: March 16, 2008, 09:25:34 PM »
Smokescreen? Check. Had an old Saab 900 that had pretty much killed the seals in the turbo. Probably due to the fact that for several years the wastegate was less than functional and it was like engaging warp drive. Cheesy Everything worked fine as long as you had revs to keep some backpressure in the exhaust. Drop to idle and oil from the cooling loop in the turbo poured in.  Used that several times. Tricky driving in town, have to stay at neutral and keep the idle around 1,500 to stay smoke free. Little puff on take-off then all was well.

Know some folks that mounted a locomotive horn under their race car hauler to clear idiots out that like to ride in the blindspots next to a 40ft trailer. Works a little too well when you set it off right next to them.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #40 on: March 17, 2008, 03:06:41 AM »
What's the penalty for impersonating a train?

Probably a-lot less.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

grislyatoms

• friends
« Reply #41 on: March 17, 2008, 06:07:25 AM »
Strapping Don Corleone to the front end of your car would be a very bad idea.  Methinks you wouldn't like what he'd do to you in retaliation.

Make him an offer he can't refuse. Just make sure Luca is not around. If Fredo is around, no problem. cheesy
"A son of the sea, am I" Gordon Lightfoot

Bogie

• friend
  • Hunkered in South St. Louis, right by Route 66
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #42 on: March 17, 2008, 08:00:56 AM »
You know, what I -really- hate is when I'm driving in relatively heavy traffic, doing the same speed as all the other cars (about 5 over...) and some guy gets right up on my ass until I manage to shoehorn it into another lane. Then he passes, glaring at me, and another car length or three gets up on the NEXT guy's ass, and repeats...

He probably gets to his destination a minute or so faster. But I wouldn't want his blood pressure and prozac bills...

I need a bigger vehicle. With a high-mount trailer hitch. Brake check, anyone?

Blog under construction

Headless Thompson Gunner

• friend
« Reply #43 on: March 17, 2008, 08:19:49 AM »
one trick i heard about was wiring a sparkplug near end of tail pipe. kill ignition with car in gera let it sucl some nice rich mixture all the way through then fire the spark plug. always wondered if it would work.  course when i heard about it it was pre pollution control.
I knew a guy in high school who experimented with mounting a fuel injector and a spark plug in his exhaust pipe.  He discovered rather quickly that exhaust gases don't burn too well.  I think his final implementation simply used a whole new pipe mounted parallel to his tailpipe, with a big air scoop at the front end and the flamethrower thing pointing out the back.

It was pretty impressive in a "dude, you're gonna blow yourself up" kind of way.

His parents skinned him alive when they found out what he'd been doing.

Paddy

« Reply #44 on: March 17, 2008, 08:30:47 AM »
I don't have a big problem with tailgaters, because I ALWAYS PULL OVER AND LET THEM PASS.  And since I PAY ATTENTION TO THE REARVIEW MIRROR, I see them coming.   That said", it makes no difference how fast you're moving.  You can be doing 90 and there's still some pushy putz wanting to pass you.  Then usually AFTER they pass, they slow down because they don't have the balls to be first in line for the ticket.

What I'm talking about is the braindead self absorbed slug doing 55 in the fast lane.

If the shoe fits............ laugh

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #45 on: March 17, 2008, 02:39:47 PM »
I think some folks aren't happy unless there is a car right in front of them.

I get over a hill, see about a mile of clear oncoming lane and slow down a little and ease over a bit so they can see.  Will they pass?  Usually not - no challenge I guess.  They gotta wait for the double yellow on the next hill or a curve.

That's what I like about 18-wheelers - you give them that little bit of vehicular body language and they are around you like a flash.

Sergeant Bob

• friend
« Reply #46 on: March 17, 2008, 03:37:24 PM »
What I'm talking about is the braindead self absorbed slug doing 55 in the fast lane.

If the shoe fits............ laugh

Fistful is not braindead! grin
Personally, I do not understand how a bunch of people demanding a bigger govt can call themselves anarchist.
I meet lots of folks like this, claim to be anarchist but really they're just liberals with pierced genitals. - gunsmith

I already have canned butter, buying more. Canned blueberries, some pancake making dry goods and the end of the world is gonna be delicious.  -French G

Tuco

• Fastest non-sequitur in the West.
  • friends
  • If you miss you had better miss very well
« Reply #47 on: March 17, 2008, 03:42:17 PM »
blah tailgaters blah

a bigger vehicle. With a high-mount trailer hitch. Brake check, anyone?

Learn from my experience (as the checker) it's a hollow victory.
 undecided
7-11 was a part time job.

Bogie

• friend
  • Hunkered in South St. Louis, right by Route 66
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #48 on: March 17, 2008, 03:48:58 PM »
Ah, but if the entire four-lane side of the freeway is full of folks who are ALL doing the same speed (typical city commuters), and some doof decides that he has to be in front of everyone else, well, that's the kind of thing that causes accidents. The only way to "pull over" from what isn't really an all-that-fast lane is to get into the lane to the right, which then gets a slowdown, which telescopes...

And the glaring numbnuts is 30 yards closer to his destination....

I think my next daily driver vehicle is going to have an upside-down trailer hitch with about an 8" extension...

One time about 25 years ago, I had a guy who just wouldn't get off my butt on a back country road. I tried slowing down, speeding up, everything but pulling off and stopping (didn't care to see what would happen...). Guy was playing the "3' from the bumper" through anything.

I had a big ol' potato-masher flash head on the camera in the bag next to me, so over a couple of miles I took the stuff apart, charged it up good, and coming up on a coupla curves, I held it out the window, and closed my eyes, and hit da button... Guy went off the road and stopped in a field.

No, I did not go back to see what his motivation was...
Blog under construction

DJJ

• friend
« Reply #49 on: March 17, 2008, 04:59:52 PM »
I had a similar experience on the road heading west out of Clayton, NM one winter. There was snow on the road, and it was slick. There were 3 tire tracks on the road, for both directions (3 total) - the deal was, you drive with your left wheels on the yellow line, and only when there's a car coming do you both move to the right and risk running off the road. There was a guy tailgating me, same thing, speed up (as fast as I dared), slow down, no change. Finally, when we had to move over for some oncoming traffic, I started skating, which scared the crap out of me, so I slowed down, and down, and down, and finally came to a dead stop. Tailgater waited back there a few seconds, then pulled alongside and stopped (in the oncoming lane, mind you), rolled down his right side window, and asked if I needed help. I replied, "No, I need you to stop tailgating me." He gave me a funny look and went on. And he was an old guy, too.