Author Topic: This is The Last Straw! Time to Nuke EU HQ!  (Read 2679 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
This is The Last Straw! Time to Nuke EU HQ!
« on: August 09, 2005, 05:20:31 PM »
Now the bastards have just gone too far!!!!

---------------------------------
http://www.sky.com/skynews/article/0,,30200-13399577,00.html

BREAST NOT BEST, SAYS EU
Beer drinkers in Germany are frothing at the mouth over EU plans to make Bavarian barmaids cover up.

The aim of the proposed EU directive is to protect them from the sun's harmful rays.

But the so-called "tan ban" has been condemned as absurd by breweries, politicians - and the barmaids.

Bavarian barmaids typically wear a a costume known as a dirndl - a dress and apron with a tight, low-cut top enhanced by a short white blouse.

Under the EU's Optical Radiation Directive, employers must ensure staff who work outdoors cover up against the risk of sunburn.

Bavarian bar keepers have been told the dirndl will have to be replaced as it does not provide adequate protection.

They face heavy fines if they fail to comply with the new legislation, which goes before MEPs next month.

The Mayor of Munich, Christian Ude, said: "A waitress no longer allowed to wander around a beer garden in a plunging neckline - this is the EU at its most pedantic."

A spokesman for the Bavarian Hotel and Restaurant Union said: "I have spoken to lots of waitresses and none said sunburn in the decollete area was a problem."

Organisers of the world's biggest beer festival, Munich's Oktoberfest, are just as angry. "This is an attack on the traditions of the region," said a spokesman.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2005, 05:24:35 PM »
Hopefully they will tell the EU FU!
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

Sindawe

• friend
  • Vashneesht
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2005, 05:28:04 PM »
Geee, I guess that wise folks that make up this stuff in EU have forgoten what happend the last time the German people felt put apon and got riled up against their neighbors.
I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do.

Bemidjiblade

• friend
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2005, 10:45:37 PM »
Good thing that the nice, liberal, well-balanced EU doesn't want to legislate morality etc.

But, as long as it's not about ethics, I guess they have no qualms completely dictating any and every aspect of people's livces.

Preacherman

« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2005, 03:23:32 AM »
There's a simple solution - offer regular patrons the opportunity to apply sunscreen at frequent intervals to the area in question.  I bet beer sales would double overnight!

cheesy
Let's put the fun back in dysfunctional!

Please visit my blog: http://bayourenaissanceman.blogspot.com/

mfree

• friend
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2005, 04:19:16 AM »
....beer garden? Coupled with, er, decolletes, that just sounds vunderbar...

garyk/nm

• friend
  • shovelbum
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2005, 07:38:13 AM »
Ahh...Biermadchen!
I lived near Munich for 4 years and Oktoberfest is like the Texas State Fair of beer. Wonderful memories (and a few blank spots). Most of the beermaids are , shall we say....stout. Think defensive lineman with pigtails and massive cleavage.  Double as bouncers.

"Hurts so good...." Wink Cheesy

El Tejon

• friend
    • http://www.kirkfreemanlaw.com
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2005, 07:47:27 AM »
After my experience in Munich I think the barmaids should be covered, hopefully in a burkha!  Wow and I thought I had seem some "stout" women in Chicago or New York City.  Wow!  Those girls were sneaking sips from the vats and skipping their pilates classes to nurse hangovers!  *shudder*
I do not smoke pot, wear Wookie suits, live in my mom's basement, collect unemployment checks or eat Cheetoes, therefore I am not a Ron Paul voter.

Waitone

• friend
« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2005, 12:32:39 PM »
I went to the Munich beer garden (forget the name) and was amazed by the beermaid who would carry 5 large steins in each hand to the tables.  That's ten steins filled with beer per trip all night.  Me thinks the lady had biceps Ahnuld would have envied.

The other thing I found interesting was the locker room just off the beer hall where the regulars could store their personal drinking ware.  Looked just like a high school gym locker room.  The regulars would finish their drinking, grab a paper towel, carefully wipe out the stein, and place it in an appropriate locker secured with a lock and key.  It was at that point I figured Chermans took their beer seriously and with great ceremony.

BTW, why the US be interested in recreating the EU on the North American continent is beyond me.  We don't need european style bureaucrats.  Our homegrown busybodies are plenty obnoxious.
"Men, it has been well said, think in herds. It will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one."
- Charles Mackay, Scottish journalist, circa 1841

"Our society is run by insane people for insane objectives. I think we're being run by maniacs for maniacal ends and I think I'm liable to be put away as insane for expressing that. That's what's insane about it." - John Lennon

bytor94

« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2005, 01:45:35 PM »
Oh how I miss Oktoberfest!  I was able to make five pilgramages to the Fount of all good beer while stationed in Germany.  I remember most of the trips Wink

Antibubba

• friend
« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2005, 03:03:31 PM »
I guess the EU is working  hard to emulate the US, by creating numerous assinine laws that the citizenry wil end up simply ignoring.
If life gives you melons, you may be dyslexic.

Iapetus

• friend
« Reply #11 on: August 11, 2005, 02:38:59 AM »
Quote from: Antibubba
I guess the EU is working  hard to emulate the US, by creating numerous assinine laws that the citizenry wil end up simply ignoring.
That reminds me of an interesting comment by a Law lecturer at my university:

English law is traditionally based on the principle that everything is legal unless there is a law prohibiting it.   French law is traditionally based on the principle that everything is prohibited unless a law allows it.

But the French long ago realised that that is a stupid principle, so got into the habit of ignoring any law they didn't like.  The English, on the other hand, are more used to taking the law seriously.

Which is why we tend to obey all the stupid EU regulations, whereas the French just ignore them (and the attempts to enforce them).

« Reply #12 on: August 11, 2005, 02:40:19 AM »
Quote from: Antibubba
this is the easy way to make everyone a criminal.

Nightfall

• friend
« Reply #13 on: August 11, 2005, 05:13:43 AM »
Hmm... I wonder how long it will be until they see a tanning ban or something. It's for your own good, after all. Only adults elected to government office are competent enough to make decisions about YOUR health, apparently. rolleyes
It is difficult if not impossible to reason a person out of a position they did not reason themselves into. - 230RN

Stickjockey

• friend
« Reply #14 on: August 11, 2005, 07:45:28 AM »
Only adults elected to government office are competent enough to make decisions about YOUR health, apparently.
"I'm the only one here professional enough to handle this tube of sunscreen..."
APS #405. Plankowner? You be the judge.
We can't stop here! This is bat country!!