Author Topic: Stargate the movie...  (Read 15359 times)

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
Re: Stargate the movie...
« Reply #50 on: March 23, 2008, 09:20:16 PM »
Don't make Tecumseh have to go and look up "comprehension." 
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

HankB

• friend
« Reply #51 on: March 24, 2008, 04:54:15 AM »
"Time to trot out your reading comprehension skills, folks...

I said it's a CONTENDER for the worst movie ever made.

Not that it is the worst movie ever made."
Nope, Stargate wouldn't even make the Top Ten (or Bottom Ten?) list of movies in a "Worst Movie" contest, so it wouldn't even be a contender.

Zardoz, now, that is a real contender for "Worst Movie." Perhaps the favorite for the award.

Doc Savage, The Man of Bronze, is another contender for "Worst Movie" as well as "Most Inappropriate Soundtrack"  honors.

Water World, which begins with the hero drinking his own filtered urine, and goes down from there, is a contender.

Jarhead, which portrayed Marines as screwballs with homoerotic undertones, was worse.

Sahara, which involved a lost treasure ship in the middle of the desert . . .

The Day After Tomorrow, with its global-warming ice age . . .

Signs, Ishtar, 12 Monkeys . . . all were worse than Stargate.

When Women Had Tails . . . and it's sequel, When Women Lost Their Tails . . .

But Stargate? Uh uh. Not even a contender. Probably wouldn't even make the top 20 list of stinkers.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #52 on: March 24, 2008, 05:01:29 AM »
12 Monkeys is a good flick.  Brad Pitt is great in roles like that. 

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #53 on: March 24, 2008, 05:54:24 AM »
Your list is weak and pathetic, Hank.

Hardly a worst movie keeper in there.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #54 on: March 24, 2008, 05:57:21 AM »
Slugs!  is a worthy addition.  Not sure if it's bad or or so bad it's good.  Lots of unintentional camp.

Chris

StopTheGrays

• friend
  • bah...
« Reply #55 on: March 24, 2008, 05:59:43 AM »
serious, and I mean SERIOUS, contender for the worst movie ever.
The movie came out in 1994. Did you just see it for the first time recently or has this hate been stewing for 14 years?
Does any image illustrate so neatly the wrongheadedness of the Obama administration than Americans scrambling in terror from Air Force One?
Just great…Chicago politics has spread to all 57 states.
They told me if I voted for John McCain, my country would look like it is run by people with a disturbing affinity towards fascism. And they were right!

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #56 on: March 24, 2008, 06:02:05 AM »
Saw it for the first time.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #57 on: March 24, 2008, 06:06:05 AM »
Saw it for the first time.

I suggest recovering by watching The Fifth Element, one of my all-time favorites, and one of the BEST science fiction films of the 1990's.  smiley

It's just sort of sad comparing the wonderfully hectic aerial taxi-chase scene in that movie to the boring airspeeder chase in Episode II. Lucas apparently didn't learn a thing.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #58 on: March 24, 2008, 06:16:04 AM »
I like the Fifth Element. I've seen it a number of times.

If you really want to scrape bottom, though?

Yor, the Hunter from the Future.

How can you go wrong when the name of the main character is Reb Brown...

Silver Bullet

• friend
« Reply #59 on: March 24, 2008, 06:36:40 AM »
12 Monkeys is on my list of ten best sci-fi movies.

I didn't like Fifth Element.

Mabs2

• friend
  • セクシー
    • iCarly
« Reply #60 on: March 24, 2008, 06:49:23 AM »
12 Monkeys is good.
Quote from: jamisjockey
Sunday it felt a little better, but it was quite irritated from me rubbing it.
Quote from: Mike Irwin
If you watch any of the really early episodes of the Porter Waggoner show she was in (1967) it's very clear that he was well endowed.
Quote from: Ben
Just wanted to give a forum thumbs up to Dick.

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #61 on: March 24, 2008, 06:51:35 AM »
Forget "contender".....we have a winner......

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0094057/

....and my MOM made me watch it..... shocked
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #62 on: March 24, 2008, 06:57:35 AM »
Your list is weak and pathetic, Hank.

Hardly a worst movie keeper in there.
Says the man who calls Stargate a worst-movie contender, which is on a par with calling Pee-Wee Herman or Woody Allen contenders for Ultimate Fighting Champion.  rolleyes

If you're looking for bad movies, oh, I suppose you can add in all manner of chop-socki Kung Fu movies or those old Italian sword-and-sandal Hercules movies, maybe some blackploitation films, but I tried to limit the list to things that actually made it into theaters with some budget behind them. (Except for the women & tails films . . .  grin )
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #63 on: March 24, 2008, 07:15:17 AM »
That's right, a Contender.

Doesn't mean that it IS the worst movie ever made.

As for Woody, hey, he took on Mia Farrow and won. That was ultimate.

Zardozimo Oprah Bannedalas

• Webley Juggler
  • friend
  • All I got is a fistful of shekels
« Reply #64 on: March 24, 2008, 03:39:17 PM »
Trouble is, the real 'worst movies' are low-budget pictures directed, produced, written, and acted by talentless nobodies (these movies fail on all counts - pathetic acting, story, filming). Zardoz is okay in many of the technical aspects... the actors seem to know their lines, pretty good camera work... the people involved had talent. Boorman had made a few major pictures, ditto for Connery. Zardoz is an atrocity of film-making. Talented, intelligent people collaborated to make a mind-boggling, loony film that jumps clear off the tracks halfway through. It's not the fault of the budget... it's Boorman to blame for writing something so moronic.
Still, it has a better ending than many other 'bad movies' do. The majority of the actors get shot up, which was sure to have garnered applause amongst moviegoers who stayed the whole time.
Connery in red underwear's weird (though there are many instances of idiotic costuming in better films)... but having a guy with a sharpied-on mustache is insane.

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #65 on: March 24, 2008, 04:22:37 PM »
Trouble is, the real 'worst movies' are low-budget pictures directed, produced, written, and acted by talentless nobodies (these movies fail on all counts - pathetic acting, story, filming). Zardoz is okay in many of the technical aspects... the actors seem to know their lines, pretty good camera work... the people involved had talent. Boorman had made a few major pictures, ditto for Connery. Zardoz is an atrocity of film-making. Talented, intelligent people collaborated to make a mind-boggling, loony film that jumps clear off the tracks halfway through. It's not the fault of the budget... it's Boorman to blame for writing something so moronic.
Still, it has a better ending than many other 'bad movies' do. The majority of the actors get shot up, which was sure to have garnered applause amongst moviegoers who stayed the whole time.
Connery in red underwear's weird (though there are many instances of idiotic costuming in better films)... but having a guy with a sharpied-on mustache is insane.

But... But...

"The Gun is GOOD! The Penis is BAD!"  cheesy
I promise not to duck.

Silver Bullet

• friend
« Reply #66 on: March 24, 2008, 04:51:42 PM »
I liked Zardoz okay, red diapers notwithstanding.  I liked the Wizard of Oz tie-in at the ending.

Of course, a much better Connery sci-fi movie was Outland.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #67 on: March 24, 2008, 06:55:24 PM »
Outland was not so great, either, although I like it when sci-fi movies can keep their wardrobe and weaponry down-to-earth.  So many of them seem to say, "But it's space!  We have to dress in jumpsuits and carry phaser-blasters!"

I just saw the second Pirates of the Caribbean.  What a turkey.  Nothing in the "plot" was the least bit interesting, but they insisted on drawing it out till I felt I had been on Davy Jones' ship for a hundred years. 

Silver Bullet

• friend
« Reply #68 on: March 24, 2008, 08:22:27 PM »
Outland wasn't great, but it was satisfying in a certain outer space way.  Not in my list of ten best.

Thirteenth Floor was, though.  Has anybody seen that ?

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #69 on: March 24, 2008, 08:25:03 PM »
The second Pirates did kinda suck, but Davy Jones had an awesome pipe.

Edit: ah, here it is.

Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #70 on: March 24, 2008, 08:27:12 PM »
I just saw the second Pirates of the Caribbean.  What a turkey.  Nothing in the "plot" was the least bit interesting, but they insisted on drawing it out till I felt I had been on Davy Jones' ship for a hundred years. 

That was really a shame, as the first one was so much fun.

LadySmith

• friends
  • Veni, Vidi, Jactavi Calceos
« Reply #71 on: March 25, 2008, 01:31:19 AM »
I want to see Zardoz now.
Sean Connery in bright red tactical Depends...  cheesy
Rogue AI searching for amusement and/or Ellie Mae imitator searching for critters.
"What doesn't kill me makes me stronger...and it also makes me a cat-lover" - The Viking
According to Ben, I'm an inconvenient anomaly (and proud of it!).

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
« Reply #72 on: March 25, 2008, 02:27:52 AM »
I want to see Zardoz now.
Sean Connery in bright red tactical Depends...  cheesy

The trailer is on youtube.
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #73 on: March 25, 2008, 02:36:01 AM »
I am surprised the Sean Connery let them put that "outfit" on him and then film it for all eternity.  Wouldn't be surprised if a few people didn't get hurt over that argument.
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

HankB

• friend
« Reply #74 on: March 25, 2008, 03:34:01 AM »
The only thing - and I mean the ONLY thing - remotely redeeming in Zardoz was the use of a Webley-Fosbery automatic revolver.