Author Topic: Need lawnmower engine repair help (pics)  (Read 1792 times)

DigMe

Need lawnmower engine repair help (pics)
« on: August 10, 2005, 01:04:06 PM »
Ok, I'm trying to fix the starter on an old lawn mower.  I think if I can just get these bearings put back in here properly I'll have it fixed.  

When I opened this section up, the gear looking thing was in the middle of this part and each bearing was kind of "stuck" (probably by rust and gunk) up in each indentation as marked by the red arrows.  I pulled out that gear looking piece in the second picture and the bearings were just stuck up there.  

Ok, so I sprayed them down with WD-40 to get the rust off and then I wiped them and sprayed some lube in there (they were bone dry for no telling how long and the thing worked up until not too long ago).  Now I just need to put it back together properly, since the bearings were stuck up in there by the gunk and rust now, of course, they won't stick up in that part on their own and I figure there's a certain way I'm supposed to put them in here.  What do I do?  Anyone know?  It might be hard to describe over the internet but just thought I'd give it a try.

brad cook

bytor94

« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2005, 01:49:37 PM »
Maybe a dab of grease to hold them in place while placing the shaft back in?

cfabe

• friend
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2005, 04:56:56 PM »
I would give the same suggestion that bytor did.

DigMe

« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2005, 05:16:48 PM »
I may have figured it out but I ran out of time today.  I'll put it back together and give it a rip tomorrow.

brad cook

griz

• friend
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2005, 03:36:48 AM »
Don't put a lot of heavy grease in there. The bearings have to be free to roll back and forth. They wedge on the inside piece when starting and roll out of engagement as the running motor overruns the starter.
Sent from a stone age computer via an ordinary keyboard.

DigMe

« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2005, 07:54:55 AM »
Quote from: griz
Don't put a lot of heavy grease in there. The bearings have to be free to roll back and forth. They wedge on the inside piece when starting and roll out of engagement as the running motor overruns the starter.
I was kind of thinking that just from looking at it and watching the mechanism as I turn it by hand.  I used a normal oil lube as I don't even have any grease at the moment.  Thanks for the info, I think it confirms that I've taken the proper steps in fixing it and why it wouldn't start in the first place.  The bearings wouldn't fall down to engage against the gears and provide the resistance to turn the larger mechanism that starts the mower.

brad cook

DigMe

« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2005, 10:10:20 AM »
Ok I threw on a new spark plug after putting the starter back together and we're in business!  She started on the first pull after installing the new plug.  

When I changed the spark plug though there was oil all over the inside of the new one.  Is it supposed to be like that?  If it's not supposed to be like that then what does that indicate and what should I do?  Obviously I don't have a lot of experience with engines but I'm pretty good at disassembling and reassembling stuff and figuring things out.

brad cook

griz

• friend
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2005, 10:19:35 AM »
Do you mean you bought it like that or it had oil on it after you tried it a few times? Assuming the later, does it smoke a lot when running? If so, the rings and/or valve guides are worn.
Sent from a stone age computer via an ordinary keyboard.

DigMe

« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2005, 11:01:16 AM »
Quote from: griz
Do you mean you bought it like that or it had oil on it after you tried it a few times? Assuming the later, does it smoke a lot when running? If so, the rings and/or valve guides are worn.
OOPS!!  I made a mistake.  There was old oil all over the inside of the OLD one not the new one.  

It only smokes a bit at first right when I start it.  Appreciate the help, griz.

brad cook